main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    But if the draft class is as weak as everyone says, they're shooting themselves in the foot if they reach for a QB at #1. They're probably better off taking the best player available first, then grabbing a QB in a later round (Joe Flacco and Russell Wilson were 2nd round picks, after all) and acquiring a veteran also.

2. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    If the Chiefs are smart, they'll trade down, get more picks and get a QB in the late first/second round (The QB class sucks this year so they'll be there), or perhaps trade for Matt Flynn and some draft picks.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Because we've seen other teams reach for QBs in years where the draft class is weak and get burned. Remember Sanchez? Leinhart? Quinn?

4. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I'm sure that this draft will produce a quarterback in the 2nd or 3rd rounds who will be generally agreed upon as a good quarterback, and the Sport's Illustrated's Peter King will talk about how how the Chiefs passed on him three times. Hindsight being 20/20 and all.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The trouble is we can't trade down too far because there are a lot of teams pretty desperate for a QB.

I have a question... who is worthy of a #1 overall?

But yeah, it's just the Chiefs luck to finally have the #1 in the wrong year. Meanwhile, the Colts got to draft Andrew Luck after their only one bad season in forever. Ugh.

6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Its funny that you bring up Luck since he's not considered the best QB of last year by any of the analysts.

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    No, he's not. And if I'd had #1 last year I said then I'd draft RGIII anyway. I'm just saying, one team who's had a great QB for a long time having one bad year and intentionally tanking so they can draft another good QB is super lame and lucky. The Chiefs haven't drafted a successful QB since Len Dawson. And we haven't ever had a #1 overall. Just our crappy luck to have it when no one great's coming out.

8. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'd try to trade down to 5 or 6. I'm not a fan of Smith, let the Eagles draft him and draft Barkley instead. I like him more, he seems to have the mental stuff down unlike Geno.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, but then there's going to be the injury questions about Barkley. But yeah, Barkley's probably better prepared mentally than Smith is.

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I definitely don't want to draft Barkley as high as we'd need to. Every USC QB of the last 10 years has been a bust in the NFL. Their stats and performance is greatly enhanced by having a lot of good players around them at USC. I have come to firmly believe they are frauds.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The Farve withdrawal must have been too much for some news outlets.

Former RB Thomas Jones to donate his brain.

Jags have a coach

Broncos pick new OC

Ryan Leaf goes to prison

Edit: Going back to solojones question of who is worthy of a #1 pick, I'm not sure I can think of a specific player given that nobody really stands out to me this year other than the mediocre QBs, but given the number of good defensive players that are leaving, I'm probably going to agree with Kiper in the sense that it'll be a defensive player this year. I suspect the upcoming Combine will make things a bit more clearer as to who's going #1

13. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Does this mean you're willing to pay my way to New Orleans so I can sneak into Media Day during SuperBowl week?

15. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    They never "intentionally tanked" anything. They genuinely sucked without Manning, as it was obvious that Polian constructed a team that had a ton of deficiencies that Manning was good enough to cover up.

-------------------------------------------------

And Arains is going to the Cardinals. I've never had a reason to dislike that franchise until now. [face_frustrated]

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh please, they basically put people on IR if they got the hiccups.

Sorry, I can't respect a draft opinion that comes from Kiper. He's a joke. Besides, one would assume from Te'o being the top regarded defensive player that uh... either the whole class is weak or he is just insanely overrated. Guy is a 2nd rounder at best.

But yeah I am definitely anxious to see how the combine goes.

17. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Luke Joeckel is a stud that you can build a line around. If I'm at number 1 on the board that's my guy.

Te'o is projected to go 8, 9, 10 in the first round by a lot of guys. Hardly the best defensive player in the draft. This whole mess with the girlfriend could drop him even lower.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    You know, up until yesterday I thought I'd really had heard it all in terms of crazy sports stories. This whole thing with the fake girlfriend just boggles me.

Edit: and yes, it's definitely going to torpedo his draft stock.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Really? As someone who posts on the JC, you really find stories of people being fake girls online totally unbelievable? You clearly don't know your JC lore.

s65horsey likes this.
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Oh yes, because girls don't exist on the Internet.:p

Seriously, it's not that I don't believe a hoax like though this couldn't happen, I'm just boggled that a football player would actually feel the need to fake a girlfriend and then make up a story of her dying in a car accident. I mean there are better ways of trying to get ESPN's attention and a Heisman.

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Did you even read the story? He didn't make it up. Some other people did and pretended to be this girl online and on the phone. They faked him out. He thought she was a real person who had really died.

Now I finally understand why you just post links and headlines without comment. I was wondering why you said you thought it would hurt his draft position. If you can't even be bothered to read and comment on a story, why are you posting it?

Edit: Also yes people have faked being women whom other people e-dated here. There have also been users that some of us were friends with who faked their death. So it's really far from abstract or surprising to me, sadly.

DarthTunick and tom like this.
  22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    When the story first came out and even yesterday, there was still a lot of doubt over whether he was in on it or not, and given all the other recent news involving liars and cheaters; forgive me if I'm just a cynical ***** who thinks nearly everybody in sports is a liar these days.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It just sounded like you hadn't read your own article that you had posted, which is confusing is all I'm saying.

24. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    She read the headline. Wasn't that enough?

25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I personally like the conspiracy theory ending to the story in Bill Simmons Mailbag:

Bill Belichick spending the past few years creating Manti's fake dead girl, then hiring someone to play her on the phone, with the ultimate intent of wounding Manti's draft stock enough that he'd fall to the bottom of the first round of the 2013 draft … right to the New England Patriots.