main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Lance Armstrong doping saga

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    and still no one cares.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I liked his cameo in Dodgeball.

CT-867-5309 and VadersLaMent like this.
  4. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    As opposed to figuratively? Which is what actually happened?

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I wonder if he has enough money for all the lawsuits that are going ot be brought against him. While lying about his doping he sued people who claimed he was doping and won.

Oh well, Te'o stole his thunder.

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, the IOC is actually wanting the physical medal back, so I'd say it's pretty close to literally.

halibut likes this.
  7. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
  8. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    When Armstrong first started saying that he didn't dope, I believed him. When the evidence coming in, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. When more evidence piled up, I thought "well all the other cyclists were doing it, so who cares?". For some reason I was just never particularly angry at the guy. Now that he's basically confessed though, I'm just like "...what?". Now I'm angry.

I guess this is why people stick with their lies.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  9. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    So they literally asked for the medal back, and pretty close to literally stripped him of it.

jp-30 likes this.
  10. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    What are they going to do with the medal, melt it down?

11. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    They're going to award it to the 4th place doper.

Valairy Scot and Juliet316 like this.
  12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I liked his testicle's cameo in Ted.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  13. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    We're calling this a saga now? I guess we know what Episode VII will be about.

14. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Luke Skywalker used Force-enhancing substances to become a Jedi Master!

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    You would.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    During his Oprah interview she should have given a free beach ball to every audience member.

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't get why these things are illegal or scandals... I guess this means he won his competitions while breaking the rules, but it seems everyone else was doing it too. So why not get rid of those rules? Why have them in the first place? Who cares if athletes take drugs or not, they're just pushing their bodies to the limit, and the people watching just want to see a good game/race/whatever.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Start with asking the Baseball writers who voted nobody into the HOF this year because of steroids.

I suspect this debate will last until the end of time.

19. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    How about not awarding ANY medals etc. if "they're all doing it." How do you separate the dopers from the non-dopers with any real accuracy?

It's sad, really sad, that certain sports have degenerated to this point that we even have to talk about "but almost everyone does it, but let's punish the winners." Did #6 dope? What about #29? At what point do you eliminate the "winners" before you start awarding the finishers?

20. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Because, as Armstrong himself clearly states in his autobiography in trying to back up his claim that he never has doped and never will, PEDs have serious negative side effects.

I haven't seen the interview, I assume he didn't attempt to make any kind apology to Emma O'Reilly or any of the other whistle-blowers whose lives he tried to destroy?

21. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    In a way that's what UCI is doing. Armstrong was stripped of his titles, but they didn't retroactively award first place to the second place finishers. There's just no official winner for those seven years. In 2010 when Contador was stripped of his win, they did award it to Andy Schlek, but I don't think Schlek ever officially accepted it. (Probably because he was doping as well.)

I do think cycling as a whole is getting cleaner. in 2004, Lance climbed Alp d'Huez in 37.36. In 2011, the winning time was 41.21. That would've been a middle of the pack finish in 2004. And you don't see the miraculous comebacks anymore. You don't see people like Landis or Hamilton who have a horrible finish one stage than proceed to win the very next day with a 80 mile solo breakaway.

22. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I have nothing to add to the discussion about Lance, so I'll just post this:

[​IMG]

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    One of the very few redeeming qualities people try to claim about sports with any consistency is that it can be a great social equalizer. In spite of one's background or parentage, he or she can excel through sheer hard work and discipline. One's bank account is no impediment to learning soccer, or at least doesn't have to be. Of course, this is ridiculous and untrue, but people at least try to cling to it notionally. Allowing drug usage would forever obliterate it. We've already seen with natural born outliers that sheer athleticism can overpower comparatively mediocre players with carefully refined technique. If, rather than having to be born with such a physique, one could simply pay for one, it would be hopeless.

24. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    you like really effectively highlighted the lie in this whole business and then proceeded with your post as if you hadn't. kinda strange, brah, unless you're going for a jabbadabbadoo, three layers of irony kind of post

25. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Doping is for dopes.