main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Halfway through Torchwood season 1. Is this the "sexuality is out the window!" show?

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    EVERYONE IS BI

MrZAP likes this.
  3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Don't get me wrong: I like how there's no presumptions of sexuality. It just surprised me.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yup.

5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, after living here for 16 months, it's finally snowing. Now if only there was a Doctor Who location just up the road which featured in a snowy christmas episode...

6. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I was hoping that they would declare the woman standing next to Rassilon was either Susan or Romana. That would make so much more sense than her being "The Doctor's Mother".

8th doctor in Big Finish is pretty much a continuation of what was in the TV show: earnest, whimsical, easily excited, and occasionally grim. He laughs at his enemies while lecturing them on their foolishness. 1/2 human is never mentioned again.
    Why didn't 8th get a beginning and regeneration scene at the beginning of RTD's show? Because they learned the lesson of the idiotic script of the FOX movie, and knew better than to repeat it.

Torchwood suffered a lot from having a fixed location, but no plan to actually unify the stories logically in the same world. We don't even get the origins of the characters until an episode in series 2. Still, the show was OK, until Children of Earth.

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I actually thought Children of Earth was the best of the lot (keeping in mind, that I haven't actually seen most of Miracle Day, I know the plot, but because I don't get Starz, and can't afford downloads or DVDs, the only episode I've seen in full of MD is episode one.). Well, up until Day Five, and then I choose often to pretend that plot twist never happened and another way was found to resolve COE.

8. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Everton and Mar17swgirl like this.
  9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    lol, figures that I (and most people I think) believe that Children of Earth is easily Torchwood's peak. I'm afraid to watch Miracle Day.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Snowing here near Heathrow as well. Guess I'll get to use that new snow shovel I bought last week..

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    We got some snow here too. Does this mean I should expect a visit from a man in a blue box?

If it weren't for a certain character (one created specifically for Miracle Day), that kind of pushes all my trauma buttons, I'd have no trouble trying to find eps of Miracle Day) on YouTube or Dailymotion. But there is this certain character and ergo, I'm reluctant to see it
    for fear of RTD glorifying a child molester/killer.

12. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
  13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
  14. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    And rightly so.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Children of Earth is Torchwood's peak, and is also better than most of NuWho.

End discussion.

Ulicus likes this.
  16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I forgive the inaccuracy of the first half of that sentence, but I cannot excuse the ridiculousness of the second.

17. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Fixed for you.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  19. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I maintain that parts of Miracle Day were really cool and prefer it to series 1 & 2. The concept was great and the first few episodes built up the dilemma really well, and Bill Pullman gave a terrific performance. If nothing else it had Ernie Hudson and John De Lancie in it, even if they were criminally underused (Particularly Ernie Hudson. I was expecting him to be in more than just one episode!). The problem with Miracle Day was that it was such a drag by the end. It was twice as long as it should have been with the material that was there. I read that there was a subplot about the skin cells we shed living on and mutating in the sewers and blocking off water supplies across the world but it got cut last minute. And to be honest I think the cut material shows in the final draft pretty badly, keeping it in would have improved the pacing of the series dramatically. At least something would have happened between episode 5 and the finale that way. And talking of the finale, it was a self contradictory mess of a deus ex machina. But it's a RTD series. I'm used to those from him.

tl;dr: Even with its flaws I think Miracle Day has its merits, enough for me to get the DVD box set after it was heavily discounted.

I knew that Matt Smith was interested in directing, I wasn't expecting him to be going ahead with a project so soon though. I'll have to keep an eye out for it, even though I don't have access to sky.

20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It's interesting to me that he's doing basically a short film first. In a lot of US shows, actors who want to direct have the power to try it out on their own shows. But I can see everyone, probably Matt included, thinking that directing a Doctor Who as your first thing probably isn't a good idea. And I'd agree.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I think it's got a lot to do with Matt's ongoing attempt to keep a healthy career outside of Doctor Who and Sky wanting to get some publicity by having the current Doctor direct a TV show (I can predict it's going to draw some attention and maybe even sell a few extra Sky subscriptions.) They mutually benefit from this project, assuming it doesn't end up a disaster.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yes.

No.

Wait. *ponders*

Yes.

ALSO: Has anyone else been listening to the Eighth Doctor audios airing on Radio 4 at the moment? The first five episodes are no longer available but a bunch still are, and I think they're doing the entire fourth season.

Sadly, "The Resurrection of Mars" -- while awesome -- is the second of a two-parter, and "Deimos" is no longer up. :(

23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Aw come on, both of you are right. [:D]

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Stop your trolling.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002