main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2013 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Last week, I started my new 12 week training course for an indoor rowing marathon. Looking to row the marathon again around the end of April. 42,195 meters. Would love to go under 3 hours, but I call that unlikely.

Why an indoor rowing marathon you ask? 1) I love sitting on my ass. 2) I ******* hate running.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    WAIT how is it indoors? Is there some sort of indoor pool track or do you do it on a rowing machine or in a tank?

3. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    just my old Concept 2 rower in my basement.

4. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    They are the best rowing machines, I want one so bad :-(

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

5. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I ended up taking yesterday off because I had to make an early meeting and I still haven't figured out how to make myself work out in the afternoon.

Anyway, this morning was more Command PT and more 7-8-5. Because it was cold, we did it on the basketball court. More planks, jumping jacks, pushups, flutter kicks, and squats! But the best (OMG! OW!!) was the sprints! We would finish off each set of 7-8-5 with a shuttles across the basketball court peppered with pushups, situps, squat jumps and lunges!

Then I ran 2.8 miles. I think the day off was probably a good thing.

6. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    They are nearly indestructible. I've had elementary school monkeys climbing around on mine for a decade, and the only thing they've managed to break is the monitor, which I've replaced and upgraded a few times.

7. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Monkeys go to elemetary school?

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm talking about my own monkeys here, and their monkey friends who come over for playdates. My workout room overlaps with the monkey playroom, so the rower takes a lot of beatings from curious monkeys.

9. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    NO YOU LAZY

10. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    It's true. :(

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Exercise bites. I hate doing it early in the morning, and I hate doing it late in the evening, but those are the only times open.

12. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    How many grams of Protein vs Sugar?

13. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Haven't gone running in a week due to weather and other factors. Makes me feel very unfit.:(

I did 5 chin-ups in a row, though, which I've never managed before, and I hadn't even got around to taking Roper's advice - perhaps without doing the running my body had more resources to divert to my upper-body muscles? It was certainly a surprise.

Souderwan likes this.
  14. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Three days in a row of the elliptical and physical therapy exercises. Trying to make it four but my motivation is nil today since the sun isn't out. No riding this week since it has been pouring and might snow. :(

(mobile sock of s65horsey)

Souderwan likes this.
  15. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Down another pound. My amazing first week loss I'm told probably won't be repeated, since that was probably just water weight, so now it's the slow crawl of weight loss. :(

Healer_Leona and Souderwan like this.
  16. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Seriously, keep it up. Seems like you're doing a great job so far. February is coming up, so that'll be one month down already!

Miana, it's true that you're probably done with the fastest weight loss, but to change the perspective, I would say you're still in a very, very rapid weight loss stage. When I was 240, I lost about 15 pounds very easily in the few couple weeks, then I thought it slowed down, but it was only after getting below 185 that things really started to come to a crawl.

Souderwan likes this.
  17. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Had to look it up. Looks like only 4 g of Protein and 12 g of sugar. Which added up to 16 g of deliciousness!

I lost 15 of my 30 lbs in a month. Then I gained back like 5 while still working out hard and eating well. Over the rest of the year, I went through periods of so much weight fluctuation that I found myself overreacting to every pound on the scale and getting very discouraged. At one point, admittedly during a period of about a month of relatively low activity, I was back to my original weight. Very depressing. But by the end of the year, I was 30 lbs (ish) lighter than my worst weight and definitely healthier. I guess my point is that scales are a double-edged sword. They serve as great encouragement as you're losing weight. But your body goes through a lot of changes when you change habits and not everyone reacts consistently. So the scale can seriously **** with your head, too.

And thanks, Cor. That means a lot!

18. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I've been working out 6 days a week for the past couple weeks. Been doing mostly abs in the mornings before work, but now that it's warming up again, I've also been running 2 miles in the morning. One of my friends at work today told me that I've been looking skinnier. Good to hear.

What's not so good: My fiancee's cravings are here and yesterday it was McDonald's and today was Burger King. I didn't mind stopping at Micky D's last night after work, as I was drained and I hadn't had fast food in a while. But tonight we got into a little disagreement over the Burger King thing (since we had McDonald's last night, I wasn't all too eager to get BK tonight).

As annoyed as I was, I went ahead and got BK for dinner. What sucks is that since I work all the time, I can no longer find time to make a decent dinner. By the time I get out of work, I'm exhausted and hungry and my commute is about 45 minutes...so by the time I get home, the last thing I want to do is start prepping a meal.

So I got a whopper with her and a grilled chicken sandwich for myself (onion rings for her, no side for me). And ew. I remember BK's grilled chicken sandwich being pretty decent for fast food, but tonight's was so gross. The chicken was dry and burned. Blah. What a waste of money/calories.

And since I'm so angry about the whole thing, I've set all my alarms to wake me up even earlier than usual so that I can do a more strenuous work out tomorrow morning.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I lost 15 pounds over a period of about six weeks, then over the course of several months, lost 10 more and gained back five. And yeah, it was discouraging. I have to remind myself that weight fluctuation is normal and expected.

You mentioned shakes; I have a smoothie a couple of afternoons a week and I eat a protein bar at work mid-morning. I don't eat much lunch at work, if any, I usually work through it. I don't know how many calories the protein bar has but it's my lunch or a good bit of it so I don't worry too much about it.

20. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Just got back from the gym! Every other night for the past eight days! It's already getting way easy to run my first mile, so I'm up to 1.5 miles and then weights!

21. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    [:D] Thanks boys. Right now what's driving me more is the inches that I'm losing and how loose my pants are getting.

Except now I have to deal with my niece's birthday party on Saturday, and see if I can get away with no one noticing that I'm not eating the pizza, cake, ice cream, cookies, and everything else that I have to make for this damn party tomorrow.

Souderwan likes this.
  22. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Incidentally, the treadmill is a Livestrong, thinking of sending it back because I can't figure out where they hid the EPO.

AaylaSecurOWNED and Souderwan like this.
  23. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Get out on the road, or anything that isn't a treadmill, that will benefit you more!

Hills and interval training will increase your speed

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

24. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    My goal for the year comes up pretty quickly and it's to make a 30k ski race in under 3 hours, I did it in 3h15m last year, and I had hardly trained at all then. My longterm goal is to make that race in 2h30m in one or two years, and then I will start looking at the 45k race.

In order to reach those goals I want to be able to run 10k in an hour and ski 10k in 45 min. My main problem is to keep going after the winter season, since I really hate running when it's too warm, and my job makes me physically exhausted in the summer.

Weight wise I would love to drop another 20 pounds, I've dropped 30 the last two years. The problem is though that I seem to be stuck in this weight, and being a type 1 diabetic it's not just about "eating less" in order to loose weight. I'm hoping to loose one more size though, at the moment I'm a European 42/44 and I would love to go down to just 42.

Souderwan likes this.
  25. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Go back a page or two to the replies my OP. I know road running is more effective, but going downstairs and hopping on the treadmill for half an hour is infinitely more practical for both my wife and me.

Souderwan likes this.