main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Omnibus Program: A Place for Everything?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by marvelfett11, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Isn't it right here?

2. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Those screenshots are not of sufficient resolution to use in a print product.

3. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    They look fine to me. Each page of the comic doesn't have to take up an entire page in the omnibus; look at the weird formatting they used for "Poison Moon."

4. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Perhaps someone should contact Randy or someone else at DH then. Perhaps they can "remaster" from those screen shots.

5. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I'm wondering if they do the newspaper strips in an Omnibus whether they'll use the originals or the versions edited for Classic Star Wars.

6. jaoblias

jaoblias Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 23, 2012
    I never got around to picking up those trades, how were they edited?

7. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    It has been a long time as I think the last time I read them was when they came out as single issues almost 20 years ago :)

This is what I seem to remember: All of the strips they reprinted were colored. However they chose different colors in the case of some of the original colors for some of the Sundays. Some of the strips and frames were re-ordered, some frames were cut or edited, and I think even a few new frames were added here and there. I could be off a little, so someone whose looked into it more recently can correct me. They did not do the entire newspaper strip run, but I believe they reprinted the majority of it.

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The fact that they originally came out as three- or four-panel newspaper strips meant that there was a lot of repetition -- mentioning what had happened in the last strip with a dialogue bubble to explain why you're fighting a giant squid, or whatever. So all that scene-setting and re-setting got edited down into a form that flowed as a comic book.

9. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    I am very excited about this Omnibus! [face_dancing]

And thanks for posting that list of uncollected comics, Rew. Hopefully we'll soon know what can be crossed off that list. My comics knowledge isn't all that extensive, but everything I knew was uncollected is on your list.

I'm a little behind on Omnibuses (last picked up The Other Sons of Tatooine). Has anyone picked up the Clone Wars Omnibuses yet? Did they get the issue order straightened out? I know they originally had Routine Valor in Vol. 1, which made no sense.

I wish IDW would get their act together and continue their Star Trek Omnibus line collecting older material...

10. jaoblias

Sep 23, 2012
    Routine Valor was moved to Volume 3(COMING OUT BOXING DAY WOOT!) but there's still a couple hiccups in terms of ordering the issues. In Volume 1 there's one or two stories that take place after Obi-Wans "death" which seems like they wanted to make up for the space left by Routine Valor in the omni but they didn't double check their placement continuity wise. Thankfully these errors aren't too blatent but there are indeed errors.

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Can someone explain why Omnibuses have smaller pages than TPBs?

12. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Cheaper to print, more affordable for consumers, the binding can hold more pages.

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Thanks. Also, does Tales of the Jedi volume 1 have faded colors or is it just my computer monitor?

14. jaoblias

Sep 23, 2012
    At least with mine, no. Tales Of The Jedi isn't exactly the most vibrant comic colour wise, but there's no fading on my copy.

15. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Since this is a general Omnibus thread, I'll ask this here:

Does anyone else have problems with the glue in some of the Omnibuses? My Menace Revealed never felt like it would stay together for long, and now that my brother decided to read it, the book cracked in two. Same thing with Rise of the Sith. I could blame my brother, since only the Omnibuses he has read have trouble (the two I mentioned and TotJ ones), but I think that they shouldn't be readable just by people like me who peek inside paperbacks fearing that the spine bends.

I have glued Menace Revealed back together, Rise of the Sith is drying in press. Hopefully they will hold now.

16. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    The only problem I had was when I got the X-wing volume 3 Omnibus, and right after I started reading it, it fell out of its cover. I returned it to Amazon and got a better copy. But other than that, not yet. Most of my Omnibuses I have only read once so far, and am not a big sharer with any of my Star Wars books in fear of damage. Cross my fingers it doesn't happen any time soon to me, but I never open it all the way to try and keep it in good condition.

17. jaoblias

Sep 23, 2012
    I've never had glue problems with my Omnibi, they stay together fine for me. My old Clone Wars Volume 1 TPB is the only comic I've ever had problems with glue wise.

18. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    So with Legacy getting a hardcover release, does that mean we're not likely to see an Omnibus collection any time soon?

19. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I had issues with one of my X-Wing volumes as well. The covers didn't come completely off, but they were starting to come apart. I just made sure not to open the book too wide. Ironically, I bought that at the same time that I bought the Visionaries TPB, and that cover came completely off. I got them both at CV. Could it have something to do with the Florida humidity? I've had little-to-no problems with my other Omnibuses/trades.

20. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Apologies for the double-post, but I've been doing some investigating on Wookieepedia and need to rant. My gripes are over their handling of the larger series, namely Republic and Empire.

We'll start with the later case first. I don't know about anybody else, but I prefer to read an entire series from beginning to end. To do that with Empire I would need to constantly need to be switching between the At War with the Empire volumes and The Other Sons of Tatooine. Rather annoying, especially if I'm out and don't want to have to carry more than one book with me.

In the case of Republic, thankfully, that switching would be minimal; I'd only have to put down the Quinlan Vos Omnibus for an arc or so. However, there are still six issues of the series still uncollected. Issues 78-80 are the last in the series can could easily and logically be lumped in with Dark Times, so no major problem there. The other three uncollected issues, however, are issues 46-48, which comprise the last arc before the the Clone Wars. To make matters worse, most of the other comics in that time frame are already collected. Only some Tales comics (which I assume are gonna get their own Omnbus(es)) and the newer Clone Wars stuff. Will these issues get collected with that material? I don't think it would fit very well. If not that, what would it be collect with?

Do they really think ahead when they plan these?

Also, what are the odds that they decide to make a Vector Omnibus, screwing over the possibility of complete KotOR and/or Legacy collections?

21. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    IMO, when they release the Dark Times omni it will include the missing Republic issues (IIRC, 46-48 introduced a character from 78-80) and the beginning of Dark Times. And I think they will include the Purge stuff with the Darth Vader minis. Just my two cents, though [face_peace]

22. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    The Rebellion chapter of Vector was included in one of the At War with the Empire omnibuses so presumably the rest of Vector will be split up by series as well.

23. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Unless they are starting the 08 to present Clone War stuff I don't know what it could be

25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm hoping they do a Tales Omnibus/Omnibi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.