main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The original Marvel Comics series of Star Wars. Any fond memories?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMasterKeno, Jan 11, 2013.

1. JediMasterKeno

JediMasterKeno Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 22, 2000
    I grew up with some isssues that I only remember having which were the 4 issue comic adapation of Return of the Jedi. I loved the 4 issues of that.

Also the first 3 issues of Star wars which was based on the movie was pretty funky lol.

Then the rest of the series had some wacky moments. Even the last issue ended peacefully for the gang and this was before the Bantam novels came around 10-13 years later.

Anyone else have fond memories of the old Marvel Comics series of Star Wars during the very early 1980s?

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Jaxxon.

That is all.

COMPNOR and The_Phantom_Calamari like this.
  3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL!

Wait, I'm mistaking Luke for He-Man again... move along, move along.

TrakNar likes this.
  4. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    I think the last issue of the Marvel comics came out in 1987, and the first Bantam SW novel, Heir to the Empire, was 1990 or 1991 (depending on if you bought the hardcover or waited for the paperback. A 10-13 years is a stretch.

Only in the sense that I just recently finished reading through it for the first time a couple months ago, I missed out on it when it was first being release. So I have fond memories of reading through it...in this modern day and age.

5. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I don't have old memories of Marvels because I read the series from the Omnibuses 1-2 years ago.
    The last issue felt rushed because it was, but the Nagai/Tof/Hiromi arc before it was great. The big three should retire on Zeltros. But it felt weird to read about this great war in the last 15 issues, when there were still filler issues after #100. You'd think it would be all about the grande finale then.

6. JediMasterKeno

Apr 22, 2000
    WellI think the old Marvel Comic series of Star Wars is still great even in Omnibus style for volumes 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Back then the Empire really chased after Luke, Leia, and Han alot and there was more of a variety of aliens and characters besides silly talking rabbits. Its funny that Han believed in telepahtic aliens but he didnt believe in da Force abilities like Luke telepathically calling Leia to come back for Luke on Bespin.

Alot of great stuff that went on in the old Marvel Comics series from 1978 to the last issue. Yes some of the aliens were a bit too goofy such as the talking rabbit, but that is Star Wars. This was before the Bantam novels years later.

Plus I'd rather just stick with the old Marvel series of Luke and gang and their adventures instead of this one hit wonder novels like Allegiance where they had to thrown in Mara Jade.

7. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Well, I do remember the storylines Goodwin wrote very vividly. They were pretty good.
    I liked the Tagga family (Orman Tagge was great!), senator Greyshade, Captain Wermis...
    After Goodwin stopped writing, the standards of the series dropped...
    I didn't really like the whole Nagai-Tof thing...

8. Campy Campelton

Campy Campelton Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2013
    Which one was the Lando story with him dressing up as an anime character?

9. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Could you explain yourself a little bit more...
    There were numerous Lando stories in the Marvel series.
    I did like the one in which Lando met Cody Sunn-Childe.
    The issue in which Lando returned to Cloud City was also nice!
    I never got why he never returned to Cloud City during ROTJ.

10. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    I liked Colonel Nord as well!

11. JediMasterKeno

Apr 22, 2000
    I think the Barnes and Noble store that is in a bigger city thats a 2 hour drive from where I live, I think they really need to restock their Star Wars novels and trade paperbacks. I was lucky enough to get Long Time Ago Volume 1 Omnibus since that was the only Omnibus available with either Long Time Ago Omnibus Volume 4 or 5. Rest of the trade paperbacks are of Batman and Spider-Man and Jericho Season 3.

Guess I shouldnt complain and might as well order Long Time Ago Omnibus Volume 2 and 3 from amazon

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Oh there are some great issues, especially the Lando marvel stories are some of the best there are.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I've read the Goodwin Classic Star Wars strips, but not the actual Marvel series. I could've read them years ago, but see -- back in the day, Litizens would do nothing but talk about how awesome they were, and if there's one way to get me not to do something, it's to have everyone talk about how awesome it is.

14. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    They are awesome.

On unrelated note, every issue from #11 (the first written by Goodwin) onward opens with a box saying "A brave alliance of underground freedom fighters has challenged the tyranny and oppression of the awesome Galactic Empire". Italics are not mine, bold is.

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    That is properly the classic awesome in use there ;) the one about fear

16. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Ellie.

I don't need to say any more.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    The Marvels were my oxygen in the start 80's - the only thing Star Wars I was able to get my hands on after having bene infected with fandom after ESB. The quality was ... well, varied - and even I could see that then - but there were really good stories in between. And even in the not so good stories there were good scenes or pairings. I loved the post ESB Leia and Luke in general - especially when Luke was teamed with Lando; those two really worked well together! There was even some Luke& Chewie teamwork which was awesome! I remember the Marvels particularly for the fun, lighthearted stores with great tempo, spotted with small contemplative scenes. Fav creations? The early Dani, Fenn Shysa, Shira Brie. The two latter easily found their way to the novels, the first is still waiting, then again, her character lost its ability to spread fun chaos in the later issues.

18. JediMasterKeno

Apr 22, 2000
    Thats why I would rather have the Long Time Ago Omnibuses than the novels. Yeah I was too young back then especially in 1980 since I wasnt born until June 1980.

Thanks to the Long Time Ago Omnibuses you get to read some comic book stories of what Luke was doing with Lando before they all set up the plan to get Han back in Return of the Jedi. That fills in the gaps and that's good enough for me. That and the crazy space adventures after New Hope such as Han and Chewie dealing with some weird outer space stuff and Leia's weird storytelling of Obi Wan wearing some kind of stealth suit lol

19. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I was, and am, a fan of Marvel "Star Wars". Of course, this was from back when the EU was the Russ Manning strip, "Splinter of the Mind's Eye", the Brian Daley books and Marvel. Back before "darker and edgier" was the aim.

Anyway, I particularly recall Valance vs. Vader in "Dark Encounter", Han vs. Crimson Jack in "Showdown", and Vader utterly bamboozling Luke in the three-issue series just before the TESB adaptation. And, no, I have no problem at all with Jaxxon. Plus, I give Marvel credit for expanding on the idea of prejudice against droids and cyborgs.

One more thing: you have to admit, Marvel could be pretty good about unknowingly predicting what would show up later in the official saga. Like the flashback of Ben in a Jedi uniform that resembled Luke's Jedi outfit in ROTJ, or Vader getting mad when Valance says the Empire considered him (Vader) "a useful freak".

COMPNOR and General Immodet like this.
  20. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    I do think the oneshot featuring a younger Obi-Wan defending a starship from pirates could fit into the EU.
    The only thing is his beard needs to have a different colour!

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Even that could be explained by making it a disguise to hide from the Seps.

General Immodet likes this.
  22. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    One thing about reading the omnibus versions of the Marvel series is that you miss all of the great ads that were in the comic books.

"Look! It's Rick Barry and Dr. J!"

23. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    We do need some kind of Essential Guide to Marvel SW.
    I think authors such as Jason Fry could make the Marvel SW series fit into the bigger EU.

By the way, does anyone know whether Admial Giel died?

fistofan1 likes this.
  24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I was gonna say that it seemed like he was a gonner in the comic, but according to Wookieepedia, he was in some random article that referenced his further exploits after the events of the comic.

25. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Oddly enough, the biggest inconsistency is Obi-Wan's attitude towards droids. He's generally not that fond of them, but in the Marvel story, he stresses that he treats droids as equals. Maybe taking Anakin's lessons to heart?