main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Neither of those examples are even remotely like this situation. Elizabeth Warren started as a well respected academic with recognized, deep policy expertise. She then served as part of the overseer for one of the largest and most important bailouts in US history, upon which the fate of the US economy literally depended. She then built a major new federal agency from the ground up.

Are you seriously going to compare that to being married to some idiot that tries to "sneak" off to South America to have an affair? Really?

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'll throw one out. Elizabeth Dole didn't have much in the way of political experience beyond being Bob Dole's wife (and President of the Red Cross) when she ran and won the seat her husband was retiring from.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You should be able to be elected to Congress no matter your station in life.

Jenny Sanford was an investment banker and non-profit board member who funded and helped run her ex-husband's political campaigns, was said to be politically gifted herself, and has stayed politicaly active since her ex-husband's scandal (endorsing Nikki Haley). Jenny Sanford also assisted him daily when he was in Congress and when he was Governor. She was already much farther ahead than where most politicians start off.

And what me and juliet were both talking about was just how much fun it would be for Jenny Sanford to have her revenge on her ex-husband in a primary battle.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Rick Scott is actually popular among some people in Florida! :eek: :oops:

Oh, it's just the "Satanic Temple"... [face_laugh] [face_devil]

[​IMG]

Satanists planning rally for Florida Gov. Rick Scott
    Florida Gov. Rick Scott may have earned himself a new constituency, but the devil is in the details.​

Local news site WPBF.com reported that a group of Satanists plans to hold a rally outside Scott's office on Jan. 25 to support the governor’s signing of a bill that allows students to pray at school events.​

"We've gotten such a response, it's just impossible for me to know what that translates into," Satanic Temple spokesman Lucien Greaves told WPBF, regarding how many will show up at the rally.​

“You don’t build up your membership unless people know about you,” Greaves said in a separate interview with the Palm Beach Post. “So this allows us to get our message out in public. We’re hoping it will reduce the stigmatism.”​

The Satanic Temple was launched in 2012 with what Greaves described as being “more or less an online community.”​
    The group’s website describes itself as being different from other, better-known Satanic organizations. Greaves said the rally is part of a larger ongoing effort at making the group’s beliefs more commonplace in mainstream discussions of religion and belief. From the website:​

“Though we have far to go before public education leads to a mainstream embrace of our Satanic religion, we feel that our own public ‘coming out’ will go a long way toward raising the consciousness of the populace … and the social environment has never yet been better prepared for the welcoming of a new Satanic era.”​

The group’s founder, Neil Bricke, is scheduled to speak at the rally.​

"We feel it's time for Satanists to come out and say exactly who we are," Greaves said.​

So, what does Scott think of the newly organized support?​

"This is a great country. Everyone has a voice," Gov. Scott's press secretary wrote in an email to ABCNews.com.​

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Uh..... Yeah, now I think I've just about heard everything.

6. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
    I hope Jon Stewart does a segment on this.

Summer Dreamer and Juliet316 like this.
  7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    how do you starve an obama voter?

hide their food stamps under their work boots!

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, funny ^.

I have neither work boots nor food stamps. But I will accept low heeled shoes...

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Gerrymandering

A majority voted Democrat, yet the GOP still won out.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It looks like Eric Cantor is saying that the House will raise the Debt Ceiling for 3 months if the Senate passes a budget.

Sounds reasonable... but why only 3 months? Do we really want to keep kicking the can down the road every 3 months for the rest of United States history?

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Evidently the GOP does.

13. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    my glorious senator tim kanes has identified a new code word: nullification. but it is a different kind than the other code words. or maybe it isn't. i don't know. i'm not sure he knows either. oh well.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well I have a good sense of where you live now, given you and I share the same Senator.

15. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    uh...you don't remember you and i talking about tim kanes and george allens? it might have even been in this thread. you do not remember that?

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Actually I don't, but then again I've tried to block out most of Election 2012, given how innudated with ads Virginia was.

17. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    ah yes we are a schwing state. we could schwing one way, or maybe schwing another way.

18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    but they are both schwinging in the same direction in that animated image! whatever happened to julia schiffers by the way? was that her name? julio schaffers?

20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    nullificate this!

*gestures obscenely with crotch*

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    More on this subject

The first I heard of this was on maddow and she pointed out how the various web news sites were now starting to report it as well.

22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    the first i heard of this was before the election when people pointed out that it was going to happen because of the state legislatures back in 2010 being tea party heavy and gerrymandering EVERYTHING

but oh no i sure hope no mexicans vote in the elecitons that would really muck up our democracy u guys

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    In the words of Charles Krauthammer, to "keep the debt ceiling alive as an ongoing pressure point for future incremental demands". [face_plain]

Obama should just raise it by executive order. Let them scream about "tyranny" or whatever. That beats letting these dirtbags hold a gun to the head of the economy every few months.

24. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    "a, uh, wiseman... once said: the roof, the roof, the, ah, the roof is on fire... but we don't need no, ah, water... let the uh, ************ burn. today i say to congress... let the ************, ah, burn."

have will.i.am remix that shizz, put it on youtube, BAM instant political capital

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm late to this party, but Jenny Sanford is in no way qualified to run for dogcatcher, and on top of that, she's detestable. I lived in Columbia during the Sanford years, and had a family member who worked for the First Lady- she's about as awful a human being as they come. Case in point, eight days after Mark admitted his affair, Jenny tried to trademark her name, seeing future opportunities. No lie.

Juliet, you mentioned Elizabeth Dole- she took Jesse Helms' (another wonderful human being) seat in NC, Bob was a senator from Kansas.

As for Mark Sanford, I was moderately impressed with his first 6 years in the SC State House, he didn't play ball with Republicans or Democrats, and truly was fiscally responsible in a state government that should define the word cluster****. Then the house of cards came tumbling down, and all was revealed- couldn't care less about the personal stuff, but he used a lot of government funds inappropriately. I think he'll win on name recognition and a financial advantage in a very abbreviated race (he's got over 100k in the bank from past campaigns), but it will be a tough race.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.