main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
    The biography of Mayer Amschel Rothschild.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Downloaded Lawrence Wright's Going Clear on the Kindle. Hope it doesn't keep me up all night.

From the NYT review:

Haggis is quoted advising Tom Cruise to have a sense of humor about himself, “something that is often lacking in Scientology,” Wright says dryly, in one of the few passages where he shows his cards. That is certainly true, and possibly a problem, but if so it is among the least of them. When people are running something akin to a private gulag across the United States and, to a lesser extent, the entire world, who cares whether they get the joke? And what is the joke, exactly?

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Paused briefly in reading The Dragon Reborn to get back into Foolishly Forgotten Americans (or something along those lines) by Michael Farquhar, which I started this summer (the library wants to back now :p ). It's not as good as his book about crazy royals, mostly because foolishly forgotten Americans aren't as interesting as crazy royals :p

4. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Just started reading Infinite Jest last night. It might be a long while before I post another title in this thread.

5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Finished Hounds have moved on to more modern crime novels, in this case Henning Mankel's Murderers Without Faces, the first Wallender novel.

Obi Anne, how many murders are there in Sweden every year? Going by Mankel and Stieg Larsson, you'd think Sweden was 1970s New York.

6. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Thankfully Sweden is a lot safer than if you go by the books, but yes crime novels are really big here, and abroad too. It feels as if 90% of the book market at the moment are just crime novels, and then you get the bad TV adaptions. *shudders*

7. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I decided to not wait to reread the last 6 WoT books and just start Memory of Light. It'll be my 'home' book since I can't really lug the thing to work. It'll take a while, but skipping then going back will be totally worth it. :D

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  9. tal0nkarrde

tal0nkarrde Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    Just finished an awesome nonfiction book - Wild Swans by Jung Chang, about three generations of women before, during and after Mao's reign in China - and have moved on to the final book in the Star Wars: Coruscant Nights trilogy.

10. Yoda_S

Yoda_S Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 1999
    I just started Stranger in a Strange land by Robert Heinlein.

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Almost finished with "Going Clear." L.Ron Hubbard had an affair with Heinlein's wife. Another spoiler: in all things, Hubbard was a giant ******.

12. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    otoh heinlein was pretty obviously impotent and/or gay if you read his writing

14. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002

Probably. True story- I live almost on the grounds of the fake Enfield Tennis Academy. Except there is no Tennis Academy...or Enfield...so its not exactly clear.

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm still trying to get through them -- and I'm still on #3 8-}

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Jack Kennedy by Chris Matthews

17. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Crazy lady. I couldn't wait! I kept spoiling myself and I read the end. I figure that anything I forget, I'll remember as I read along. And then I'll just pick up when I go back to the previous 6 again.

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I'm definitely crazy--crazy to try to do this and crazy to have not started for real months ago 8-} My copy of AMoL is almost at the library (that is to say, the library's copy that I requested), so I have a little more than three weeks to finish The Dragon Reborn, read the next ten, and then get to AMoL. No pressure or anything :p

I don't think I can bring myself to read the end before I get there.

19. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    yipes! No, that's a lot of reading hahaha.
    At least you've read the series before :D 'Cause then it's okay to just jump to AMoL.

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Haha true, if I need to.

21. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I didn't come close to finishing my reread in time, so I went ahead and read AMoL, am now continuing the reread (up to Winter's Heart now) and will read AMoL again when I get there.

I'm really looking forward to my next complete reread, actually, whenever that may be, because then I'll be able to look back on it as a whole so much easier.

22. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I won't reread AMoL when I complete my initial reread. But reading it now does bring some things back. And for others, I had to look up.

Rogue...Jedi, where were you when you left off with the reread?

23. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I was through book 7, just before starting book 8.

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Finally on Part 2 Cosette in the Les Miserables novel.

25. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    OK that's actually where I was/am too.
    (I was just curious)