main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    And if he was in DC the traffic would be terrible. Washington DC was 45 miles from my house and I had to give myself at least five hours to make the trip by car during rush hour. One day I had a doctor's appointment at Walter Reed and it took me the full five hours. I can just see Jack sitting in traffic on I-95 moving at 10 MPH.

2. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    I went to school in Virginia, outside DC. At the end of a semester, I was flying home, out of Reagan. It took me longer to get to the airport, leaving around 5 pm and taking a campus shuttle to the metro, metro to the airport, than the actual duration of the flight to Detroit.
    Something just seemed so wrong about that.

3. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Wow, I only went on the metro a few times and it went pretty smooth. The biggest delay was people recognizing me and wanting to talk. Which freaked me out. It appears a lot of my old Army buddies have jobs in DC.

4. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I've ridden the DC metro all of once, to get to Reagan from the Capitol building, when I visited my friend in DC back in October. Aside from never having ridden a metro train before, and the resulting uncertainty, I didn't have any problems.

My new computer, which I'm on right now, doesn't have Microsoft Office installed, so I have to install OpenOffice and relearn how to use it.

I also discovered today that my birth control pills may have contributed to my gall bladder disease. [face_plain]

5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Really? I had a diseased gall bladder, I wonder if the pill was responsible? I don't remember seeing that in the warning label. So are you going in for surgery?

6. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I just happened to look at the warning on the new pills I've got (my pharmacy switched suppliers, thus generics) and saw that oral contraceptives have been linked to it. I don't remember that from my other pills, but I didn't read the booklet real well. I only noticed this 'cause it was right there when I picked up the paper.

I'm likely going to have surgery, yes. I have an appointment with my regular doctor tomorrow, and we'll go from there. I don't know when it'll be.

7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Nothing serious to report on my end, thankfully. Spent the night at my half-brother's, only he's ripping up the floor and walls in his kitchen. It's a cave, separated by plastic, and the ground is moist. It apparently was an enclosed porch that the previous owners redid into a kitchen. The floor is plywood on cinder blocks and rotted beams, with a dank, dusty, dirty abyss in the middle, and today, my half-brother and two friends of his spent the day ripping out old boards. This damp crap was floating all around, and it aggravated my cough.

Doesn't help matters that I went when my niece has laryngitis, and my nephew has strep throat. So, little kid germs and damp, moldy, nasty particles from beneath the floor in what I've been calling the Bat Cave. I hope I don't get sick.

8. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    . . . Why were you there?

9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah, why where you there, TrakNar? Don't you have mega-allergies like I do?

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I was there because they invited me over for dinner. I knew about the Bat Cave, but it wasn't as bad before. However, I didn't know about the kids being sick until later when they had to take their medicine.

My asthma is pretty manageable, I'm just stubborn as all hell using my inhaler. "Oh, that? Just a coughing fit. I'll take a swig of cough syrup, no need to pull out the inhaler..."

11. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    That's why you have the inhaler, silly! It doesn't do you any good if you don't use it!

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It also doesn't help matters that I forget to take it with me when going on overnighters.

13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    My sister is horrible for forgetting to take her insulin when we go camping. Thankfully I'm diabetic too. It's kinda nice because if one of us forgets, the other one probably remembered.

Kids are germ factories. I am currently avoiding my mom's day care kids like the plague. One of them is severely mentally disabled, so she puts everything in her mouth. It seems like she's sick 3 weeks out of a month.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Let's see... my voice is getting hoarse and I'm feeling overall quite lousy, but it could just be exhaustion. I'm hoping it's just exhaustion. C'moooooonnnn exhaustion! I refuse to get sick!

15. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    If it isn't just exhaustion: head it off with oranges, green tea, and lots of water. (If anything, it'll make the duration somewhat less...)

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    We'll see in the morning. Until then... Peppermint tea and Vicks! Because I lack the other things, aside from tap water.

17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    You guys are killing me... I come here to escape work, not continue it! :p

I have to go to the DMV sometime this week and I not looking forward to it. (I've put it off as long as possible!) It was never a barrel of laughs when I lived in a small town, I figure now that I live in a city it will be an all day adventure! ;)

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Have fun at the DMV mav!

I hate to add to the sickly discussion, but I think I'm getting sick too - either that, or I'm going through menopause at 19. I woke up a number of times last night, either drenched in sweat or freezing cold. If this is what I have to go through once I hit 50, dear God, someone kill me at 49 :p

19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Quiet youngling!!:mad: Grrrr!

;)

That sweating, then cold is what I get because of the weather. I have the woodstove blazing before I go to bed, so I am warm. It dies down so it gets cold and I pull my blankets on me, then I have too many blankets and I start sweating. I throw the covers off and then the sweat evaporates and now I am shivering like I am freezing to death. I change my sweat soaked shirt and then start the process all over. I hate the cold.

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'll wear a fleece to bed, and then be pealing it off later on because I'm sweating like crazy.

21. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't normally have problems with sweating at night. Usually when I do it's because I'm ill or something.

I'm having a mini party right now though. The PSU in my desktop died so I had to return it and get it replaced. Well, the replacement has just turned up! Unfortunately for me, I can't remember which order my HDDs go in! :oops:

22. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I wish we could tag more than 10 people per post in fanfic. I know why it's limited, but when I have to add five posts of tags after an update, it gets ridiculous.

23. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Surely with that many people it's easier to use the conversation thing? :p Seriously though, at least it's not 50 Pms at a time, right? That's got to be something.

24. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Tagging is easier than keeping track of those conversations. I don't like having a conversation with 50 people in it. And I don't think that many is permitted in one, anyway.

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I think your only allowed 5 with the convos - vs 10 with the tagging so I find tagging much easier. It could be worse, we could be still doing one PM at a time :p . It was getting to the point in the old boards that I was stopping offering PMs for stuff I updated regularly every week.

But yeah, it's inconvenient for fanficers, but the limits make sense.

Iverna likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.