main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Poll: Would You See the ST if Luke, Leia and Han were Recast

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bazinga'd , Jan 14, 2013.

?

Would you go see the ST if Luke, Leia and Han were recast?

1. Yes

52.6%
  2. No

25.6%
  3. Depends on Who was Chosen to Play the Big Three

21.8%
  1. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Just to clarify my position, an I suspect it would be across the board with others as well, IF Disney split the Big 3, meaning only bringing Hamill back or some combination thereof, I WOULD definitely see Episode 7. I just think the story wouldn't be very realistic that Han and Leia magically disappear while Luke is still trying to rebuild the Jedi Order etc... And I also would feel cheated if we were fed a few lines closing their stories without seeing those events on screen.

Pretty much the onl;y things to make me not see Ep 7 will be a recast/reboot and then the poor casting choices of people like Beiber, Lohan, Hilton etc...

2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    In thinking about this over the last day or so, I have come to this conclusion. Under NO circumstances will I ever see a reboot of the OT. I not sure I would see a reboot of the PT, unless it solely involved the removal of one Jar Jar Binks.

For the ST, I need to see at least Mark appear and references to Leia and Han. But I do not want to see new actors playing the iconic Big three roles.

Echo-07 likes this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Let's just hope none of us will ever, ever have to ask this question for real! It would really be a very bad business decision for Disney and Lucasfilm!

JainaSoloYJK and Echo-07 like this.
  4. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    This is so weird. So you are a big enough fan of SW to be non this site, yet you would not even go see the movie without the OT cast being the originals? Maybe people are just saying that because it would make them mad. I find it hard to believe, especially for all of these people into the EU; none of that requires the original actors (the characters are in some of it, but not the actors). This is an ACTUAL SW MOVIE, come on. You'd go.

Clicking on a poll is different than avoiding going to a SW movie for several months when it is playing at a theater.

I think it would be disappointing, and a bad missed opportunity to not have the OT cast. However, it still would be SW, and COULD still be a great movie. I would not avoiding go to see it. If it was a worthy SW movie, I would still see it several times.

5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    True for more than 99% of this forum I'm sure.

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, I'd go see it. I mean, if a relatively unknown actor (Ewan mcGregor in 1999 certainly was) can take over for Alec Guinness of all people and literally define the role as HIS, then the rest of the OT cast is quite replaceable IMO. :p

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Current results show 26.2% saying "no". I seriously doubt that many would actually not see it at all because the Big 3 were recast.

My own preference would be for just Luke to be in it from the Big 3, and for Hamill to play him. Next would be all three of them back, and next would be none of the Big 3 back at all. Last would be the Big 3 recasted, unless the timing of it REALLY makes sense for them to be a different age than those actors are now, but since it's supposed to be set after ROTJ I doubt that (and even if it's set immediately after it that still won't work).

But of course I'll see the movie in any case.

8. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I'd see it if it was a World War II horror flick - in Swahili.

"We don't serve their kind here"
    /LM

9. Aizakku Rorensu

Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2013
    Yes, of course I would I go. And I'll see it seven times, just like I'm going to see Episode VIII eight times... And in a way, I kind of want them to. If they don't it's fine too, but if I had to vote yea or nay, I would say do it.

Of course, I also want them to redo all of the movies, and animate them in the Clone Wars style (or it's own style, either way). That way they can fix all of the contradictions, make the space battles in A New Hope much more grand (etc.), and they can have Han shoot first and blow a whole clean through Greedo if it'll make some people happy. Most important of all for me though, is that it would give it all a nice uniform look so it wouldn't be as obvious as it is now that one set of movies was made at this time, and that the other set that takes place after the previous set was made 20 years earlier.

And this also addresses any recast hiccups. Because if you animate the Original Trilogy, you simply make Han, Luke and Leia look like younger versions of whoever it is you recast for Episode VII.

If only we could always get what we want. :cool:

One other thing on recasting live actors: Even though I grew up with the Original Trilogy, I do have to admit, when I think of Obi-Wan, Ewan McGregor is who comes to mind and not Alec Guinness.

10. johnrain39

johnrain39 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Characters like Batman, James Bond, and Jack Ryan are always recast. Why not the Skywalker Twins and Han Solo?

11. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Seriously? None of them hold the same place as Luke, Leia, and Han.

James Bond was recast due to actors aging (but the character staying the same age) and removing themselves from the role as well as rebooting the franchise. James Bond is not a cohesive Saga like Star Wars.

Batman was recast due toactors wanting to leave the franchise because the movies were horrible and Nolan rebooting it. Rebooting again post Nolan. Not a cohesive Saga.

Jack Ryan is not iconic.

12. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    The only person I really want to see is Mark Hamill returning as Luke Skywalker. I could care less about the other 2...

13. Chels

Chels Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2013
    Throwing in my two cents: Truthfully, I suspect that I'll go see it on opening night regardless of whether the Big 3 are recast (or regardless of whether they're even in it). I would greatly prefer that the originals to be in it if they both fit the story and are the proper age, but I assume the people creating the movie WOULD use the originals if those two factors match up, so I don't feel all that worried about it. Unless Mark, Carrie, or Harrison themselves say they don't want to come back (which is their prerogative), it would seem weird and illogical to cast other people the same age as them, especially with the passionate fanbase that comes along with the SW franchise. If they're creating a story that takes place soon after RotJ, then again, it's not an issue because they obviously NEED to recast, even if it would be weird to see other people playing those characters. I can't imagine anyone but Harrison Ford being Han Solo (and can you IMAGINE the pressure of filling in those shoes?), but at the same time, I would at least give it a chance.

For me personally, a bigger issue would be to depart from the story of the Skywalker bloodline, whether it's following Luke's branch or Leia's (or both). I know Star Wars is a huge universe with a lot of potential directions to go, but I like the idea of the movies following their family, while other material (like much of TCW and tons of books, as well as that Underworld TV idea) digging into the other aspects. I would probably still go see to give it a chance, regardless, but it's more important to me that the story continues to follow Luke/Leia(/Han) and/or their descendents than it is for the story to use the same actors.

14. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I would also say that the original Big Three would definitely overshadow the new replacements. Imo, this is occurring in JJ Abrams' take on Star Trek.

15. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    No. I'm sorry, it can't happen. Mark Hamill is indellibly Luke, and no matter how many other characters he's played, Harrison is indellibly Han Solo. While I honestly don't think Carrie will come back, I don't want her to be recast, either. Someone in a helmet is easy to recast, or someone playing a much younger version of the old characters. (i.e. Star Trek...though the reboot is the only incarnation I hate more than the OS). At best it could be a Superman Returns. While the actor nailed the role, he just wasn't Chris Reeve. I missed the old actor too much to like the new one very much.

So if they do recast, I'm not going to see it. I MIGHT after a few years if the reviews are good enough, but beyond that...no.

16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Star Trek the movie is great, and is proof that iconic characters can be rebooted, sorry.

All of that could absolutely be said of Leonard Nemoy and William Shatner (sorry, I know Star Wars fans may not like this, and may try to deny it, but that would be sheer nonsense). There is only one captain Kirk, and only one Spock (and only one McCoy for that matter, but the guy playing him also did Deforrest Kelley justice). Nonetheless, the new Star Trek was a way cool movie.

Again, it would suck in a huge way to not have the original 3, and I would initially be really bummed (not to mention it would be a lost opportunity to bring them back for the ST); just saying, it would NOT mean the movie sucked. They MIGHT still make a good Episode 7. I know this is a SW site, and there are a lot of purists who will hate what I am saying here, but it is undeniable.

If they did recast them, I bet they would start soon after ROTJ, so they COULD make them much younger as they did with the Start Trek cast.

17. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    Of course I'd see it, and would not judge Disney for re-casting. I'd be disappointed a little, but if the new actors did the roles justice, I would accept them. I had no problem with Zachary Quinto as Spock, either. When a character is as firmly imprinted on the culture as Luke Skywalker, Captain Kirk, or Sherlock Holmes for that matter, it is natural for an actor to retire that role to an understudy when he is no longer able to go on with the show. It's the way show-business has always been. The show must go on.

18. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    For the first film with small parts yes but not for the whole series. The first film should be 3 hours long and start about 30 years after ROTJ with Luke and company having minor roles telling the story of how the Jedi and galaxy emerged different after the Empires defeat. Have that be the first hour. Then maybe go 40 years into the future in the second two hours in order for there to have been 70 years for a new dark side/sith threat to emerge and for a new Jedi order to be built by the Skywalker legacy. Have the second 3 hour film focus more on the dark side threat and start all out total war between the jedi and the dark side then have the 3 third film, episode IX, end in a manner that surprises us all.

Or they could simply start out 200 years after ROTJ and leave the original cast out of it completely. I don't care either way so long as the writing is stellar, the acting is stellar and it's not made for kindergarten children.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    So, to make sure I'm not misunderstanding you, you want the first hour of Episode VII to be set 30 years after ROTJ and then skip forward 40 years for the last two hours? I don't think that makes much sense unless you present it in a non-linear fashion and that's really not Star Wars style.

20. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    When will you people understand that for the PREQUELS star wars & star trek they HAD to re-cast so of course we could accept this but why would we accept the re-cast of the big 3 when there is NO need to re-cast....

21. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    No one said we had to accept it. In fact, we could stand on a mountain top and yell into the rain and howling wind,"IIIII DDOONN'TT ACCEEPPTT THE REECCAASSTT!!!"

Problem is, Disney and ILM could choose to not care what hardcore SW fans will accept, since they don't require our permission. Especially if they had a great movie up their sleeve (which they could possibly pull off without the originals). They would have no choice if they couldn't get the big 3 on board to be the movie (not likely though).

22. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Well they should care & it's not just hardcore fans that want the big 3 back it's almost all fans....Disney & LFL will care when there is a drop off in box office ....& also if the big3 chose not to come back then they should set EP7 further in the future rather than re-cast .....

23. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    People keep bringing up this argument, and need to keep backing down from it when the flaw of its logic is clearly pointed out. Some are huge fans of the films because of the actors that brought life to these characters. I laregly like Han Solo because of the way Ford portrays him. Could someone else do a good job? I'm sure someone could, but why in the world would I want to chance it when I already thoroughly enjoy the product I have? As I have said before, I would give them one chance if they did a recast, but I would do it begrudgingly, and if they don;t for exceed my expectations then I am out, and will just enjoy the product as I remembered it. Being a fan of something, and watching it go down in smoke for you individual can be tough.

So, yes I can say I may not see more of the movies pending how they turn out, but still say I am a big fan of Star Wars. There really is no contradiction there. However, there is loads of contradiction for the plenty of folks on this thread who keep seeming to magically know what people will really do if this happens. Still waiting for one of them to tell me the winning lottery numbers as they are looking into their magical crystal ball.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    All I said was that the movie COULD be good even without the main stars, and that most people on here WOULD go to see it regardless, both of which you basically admit are true (you admit you WOULD go see it).

Your argument doesn't make a lot of sense in some spots, and really does NOTHING to point out ANY flaw in mine. You ask "why chance going to see something else even if it is good, when you enjoy the product you have"? That is is the logic you are using that you claim no one can debunk? ummm... because everyone has seen those movies 10,000 times, and this is a new SW movie, and these are SW fanatics that spend huge amount of time on SW, and will get the first new movie in 10 years? Gee, that wasn't hard. And you say I'M not logical?

As far as the silly little rant about me seeing the future, again, I am actually making a pretty fair bit of induction by saying that most people on this site will see it regardless of the actors, even if they don't watch it as much as the other movies. You compare that to a winning lotto number,. and (again) MY logic is bad? Whatever floats your boat pal. You will go see this movie no matter what, and so will almost everyone else on this site, DEAL WITH IT. Don't get on my case because you don't like the idea of the big 3 not being in the movie; I wouldn't like that idea either, but I'm not the one getting all irrational about it, I'm just pointing out possible and likely outcomes if that WERE to happen.

Unchosen One likes this.
  25. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Easy there. I didn't say they shouldn't care, I said they don't have to. SW is going to be a big box office success no matter what. Casual fans wouldn't be nearly as die hard about a recast, and the reality is the movie could still be a big success without the big 3 if it were an awesome movie, even in the event of a recast.

I'm with you on the hopes that they bring all of them back, I'd love it if they bring Lando, Chewie, all of them back that are alive in real life and in the story; I would love it, and would be disappointed if it didn't happen too. I'm just pointing out the other side of the fence, which does exist whether or not we want it to.

Unchosen One likes this.