main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What are the biggest weaknesses of Luke/Leia/Han/Jaina/Jag/Ben?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Jan 16, 2013.

1. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    That would be nice, but Ben doesn't have any friends his own age.

2. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Completely Agree, Ben needs his own friends. I mean even Luke had Biggs at his age. Needless to say, Ben needs to go out on his own and make a friend that is his Han, Wedge, or Chewie...
    Also it wouldn't hurt for Luke to let go of R2 and give R2 to Ben. Having a droid does wonders for a boy, takes him on all crazy adventures...

thesevegetables likes this.
  3. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
  4. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    It's too late for Ben, my son. Now, Leave him.
    In order to have believable friends his own age, he needs OCs, but then if you have OC Jedis, where have they been all his life?
    If non Jedi, why would he be friends with him? The whole let's be friends, let's play with each other on the swing don't work anymore beyond a certain age.
    Vestara was okay, but then she chicked out at the end, and now they are mortal enemies.
    stanged if you do, stanged if you don't.
    Ok, what they need is a trilogy for an Benfriend!OC(s) like the thrawn trilogy was for Mara, Written by the same author.
    Then they need to have the character be consistently involved within the EU.

5. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    It's never too late..

6. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    A bit too late for that wish, don't you think?

7. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I didn't make a wish bud..
    However, it's not too late for them to salvage being decent grandparents.

8. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Well the solution isn't to just give him friends out of the blue, but to have him make friends in the process of the story. Like a Luke and Han situation where they start off not liking eachother, but then they go through some crap together and end up closer in the end.

But that won't happen unless the writers are willing to take his character down a peg and put him in a situation where his family isn't staring over his shoulder.

9. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm well aware of all of that.

10. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    So Ben goes on his own mission, by himself or with an original character Jedi with him, he may end up with a young and gifted scoundrel, bounty hunter, pilot, or diplomat original character who joins forces. With this there would be the inclusion of an alien side kick, whether the Jedi, or a friend of the scoundrel/bounty hunter/pilot/diplomat. Ben needs to fail and his new allies to save him to make him understand the purpose of friendship. But the Vestara event might leave him scarred to women or even to all friends/allies that he doesn't know or trust... It might be tough to get through his self defenses... It wouldn't hurt if Seha or another female Jedi had a crush on him.

11. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    It seems to me that the creative team had ample opportunity to introduce characters who had the potential to be friends for Ben in the past twenty one books. They chose not to do this. I really don't imagine creating/developing friends/companions for Ben will be a priority for upcoming books. Crucible is a big three book. SotJ is most likely a Jaina trilogy with Ben and Allana playing the sidekick roles. I'm not holding my breath that Ben will get any friends/companions/romantic interests anytime soon. Allana is in the same boat as Ben. How long before she starts interacting with kids her own age?

12. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    The biggest weakness of the big three and their relatives is that they are too exclusive. I don't know how Jag got in, but I think they needed to get rid of Jaina's spinster status.
    Please, please do not let Ben and Allana get together as a romantic pairing. If they did that, it would just be wrong. It would enforce the exclusivity I'm talking about.

13. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    Speaking of Jag. When was the last time we saw any of his family? Does he have any friends outside of Jaina? I think Ben needs to be seperated from his family if he is to have any hope of making friends.

I can't imagine anyone would want Ben and Allana to get together [face_sick].

14. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Soontir and family are probably still in Chiss space. His uncle Wedge and extended family are probably on Corellia

15. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    Star Wars already had its run on incest. I don't see them revisiting that trope again

rumsmuggler likes this.
  16. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Because this batch of people sucks so badly at raising children, they should just stop making them already.

Landostrip likes this.
  17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Jag has his security guard, Ashik, the Chiss Guy. Would be awesome to find out they were childhood friend and Ashik fought in the Vong War

18. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    I couldn't agree with you more. In fact Leia's poor portrayal in the EU is the sole reason I'd be in favour of the ST obliterating post ROTJ EU just to repair the mess thats been done to her character.

19. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Leia in the Thrawn Trilogy is realistic. However a return to the Original Leia personality on her current story line would set up well for her character in the EU to return to the Leia we all know and love. A Soft Reboot if you will, rather than taking the Death Star to the whole EU

20. ewoksarenotfood

ewoksarenotfood Jedi Padawan

Sep 6, 2012
    When it comes to Ben having no interaction with people his own age it reminds me of Carl on The Walking Dead, both the TV series, and with few exceptions of what I have read so far in the comics (I've read the first 6 trade paper backs.

21. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    The difference is that Carl is one of the only children left alive within the zombi ridden world... Ben, he has peers, just no friends. He never takes time to know them...