main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Lack of Criticism Toward Leia and Chewbacca

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DRush76, Jan 1, 2013.

1. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I would say, though, that just as problematic is the issue that legitimate criticism of the OT is dismissed as being simply a result of trying to "defend" or "excuse" the PT. It's rather frustrating, in many ways, because there's an underlying assumption in these statements that the OT is above such scrutiny and its flaws are simply invented to defend the PT. Which isn't the case.

But I do think the OT works as a good point of comparison for the PT for two simple reasons:

1. It's a set of films that we, as Star Wars fans, are all familiar with, so it's easier to draw comparisons

2. There are those who like the OT but dislike the PT (and its use of similar elements) and so the underlying reason for these discrepancies often fosters better conversation than simply saying one likes/dislikes something.

For example, people will criticize Padmé for not showing strong enough reactions, but Leia's behavior of not even acknowledging the destruction of Alderaan or the revelation that Darth Vader is her father, is never called into question. It clearly can't be the "lack of reaction" that bothers people in these instances, otherwise they would dislike the handling of Leia's character as much as Padmé.

Or, to give another example, when people criticize Anakin's behavior towards Padmé in AOTC as creepy (although the worst he does to her is look at her funny after she asks him to stop) while Han's behavior towards Leia -- disrespecting her wishes and continuing to touch her after she tells him to stop -- is not only not condemned, but is idealized.

Fact of the matter is, because some people are unwilling to acknowledge or discuss these discrepancies in their logic, I have a hard time believing that the reasons they profess for their dislike of the PT are truly the reasons they dislike those elements. Too often, for example, I've seen Han's behavior being hand waved, with the implications of it brushed aside.

My issue with Leia and Chewbacca's actions is not that they actually do those things (which are understandable given the circumstances), but that they are never called out on the wrongness of those actions, either by other characters or the narrative. And that Lando is treated as some kind of traitor when he made what was likely the best choice possible for the most number of people.

Valairy Scot and Samnz like this.
  2. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    I think the relevance to my point lies in the fact that OT fans who respond to other OT fans showing disdain for ROTJ don't trot out "The PT did it too!!!" as an argument/rebuttal in 'defense' of ROTJ.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Wrong. Chewie knew Lando. Leia and 3-PO were the only ones that didn't.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I usually state such comments, because I've noticed that the flaws of both trilogies tend to be similar. I've written reviews of two STAR WARS movies - "ANH" and "TPM". In my reviews, I was mainly critical of the sequences featured on Tatooine. Aside from the pod race scene and the meeting at the Mos Eisley cantina, I find the Tatooine sequences of both movies rather boring.

I'm sorry that you dislike such comments that point out the fallacies of both trilogies, but I'm going to continue making such statements as long as someone points out a flaw in the PT that can also be easily found in the OT . . . and vice versa.

5. FryingpoorGreedo

FryingpoorGreedo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2012
    Chewie doesn't seem the type to rationally think things out

6. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Chewie is just as dumb as Jar Jar, and twice as annoying.

But he is OT so he is apparently above criticism

7. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    That's your opinion. :)
    ESB made it clear that they knew each other when Lando said "hey chewbacca, you still hanging out with this loser"?

FryingpoorGreedo likes this.
  8. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    So dumb that he can fix just about anything, and hijack an at-st to turn the tide of the endor ground battle. ;)

9. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    His version of "fixing" is pounding things while moaning - and then having Han yell at him about how he's doing it wrong.

10. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Not always. Trying to keep the falcon running will work on anyone's nerves from time to time.