main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Luke is ~19 at Yavin, add 4 years for Endor (=~23).
    Mark Hamill is 61 (could probably be made to look 50).

Luke is really the only one of the Big 3 who really needs to appear in the ST, neither of the others is the Jedi Master and founder of the New Jedi Order.

Considering that the OT is still shown regularly on broadcast TV, would people accept a different actor in that iconic role?

2. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Because I was thinking from the writers POV, from the "what-do-we-do-in-this-story" POV. And I'm pretty darned sure the original intention of DE wasn't: "let's see what happens if we put Luke in an impossible situation - would he take the bait -and would he truly go dark in the first place?" It was: "let's make Luke Skywalker go dark - how could we make that happen now he pledged himself to the light - and man, people will buy that story!" Because I was thinking we'd already discussed this matter so thoroughly that everyone here knew my take on this plotline and I didn't have to explain it every time I said something. So I went easy on it and didn't weight my words.

And just to make the above POV clear; I think that's the original intention of DE - but in the process, it became clear for Tom Veitch that there was something that just didn't work out - Luke's character didn't work with that plot - and so the story became more and more ambiguous in terms of falling to the dark - and in the end they stood with a text that could be interpreted either way; he fell dark - or he didn't fall. And now it's been stated he didn't fall. This is all of course my own interpretention of the writing of DE - but it's based on how I read the text - and how I think the story has been sold.

I will too!!! And I want him to have them with Mara! [face_not_talking]

It would be some darned frightening shoes to fill, but I think they'd accept a very well casted actor. IF they went back and started from where ROTJ stopped, or close by. Of course people would accept it - what's the choise? No ne would accept Mark Hamill now run around and try to look like he's in his 20'es - that would be ridiculous! But I think the speculation about the oricinal cast returning is based on the fragments we have on the old MH interview where Lucas asked him if he'd return to reprise his role in his 50's or 60's.

3. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Star Trek the original series still plays on TV yet people accepted a new Spock and a new Kirk with the semi reboot. I think general audiences are more accepting of new actors in familiar roles. Two definitive things would help the actor in question, one facial similarities with Mark Hamill and two capturing the character of Luke from the OT. Of course Luke has grown since the movies, but the first two points will help the transition between actors.

Child

same here, still its the safe bet that Luke will have a central role.

agreed

4. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Read this from the Star Wars # 4 therad:
    It could sound as Luke gets "another girl friend". But taking that this is very close to ANH, it might well be that they for first time ever write her to actually 'be the first'. I think that could be quite cool - we've seen a row of female love interests but most of them have more of less been written in to just 'be there' more than actually be a part of Luke's character growth. I cross my fingers she's fun - and that she doesnøt die but is written away some creative way when times comes for that.

5. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    No one cares about replacing actors if the time frame is long enough. sure I am sure we all be annoyed if changes happened during a sequel but its been several decades actor change is fine.

6. kataja

May 4, 2007
    I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean with "if the time frame is long enough"? I'd freak out if they set the story to happen around 45 ABY (where Luke, Han & Leia are in their 60's) - and still replace Hamill, Fisher and Ford with others! I'd need a straighout statement form the actors that they were asked but said no, to even go see the ST in that case! But if the ST is set in a timeframe so the Big3 would be much younger than the original actors, then I'd be fine with it.

7. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I am saying its been what over 3 decades since the OT, most watchers would be perfectly fine with actor changes assuming they want to reduce the time between movies to lets say 20 years.

8. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Agree to that, then. I don't think th actors could - or should - play roles they're too old for. Mark Hamill already did that in ROTJ - and successfully - but you shouldn't push your luck ;)

9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Mark Hamill look relatively young for the part so it all work out in the end ;) he was 30 during RotJ filming but he still look like in his 20's. as for the girl, well it's possible that she and Luke just remain friends instead of an ill fated romance....right ?

kataja likes this.
  10. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Tim Battershell:
    That's true! I do hope we get to see Leia and Han too though.

It would seem really ODD and it would be very disappointing, I think. However, if the story takes place soon after RotJ, I think that's the only thing they *Can* do. I'm hoping it takes place about 30 years later though, so we can get the original actors in the roles, if possible.

I just hope they don't skip so far forward that we won't see Luke at all in the ST. That would be really annoying! I'm so excited right now about the thought of being able to see Luke in a film again! Lucas has spent so many years focused on the PT and Clone wars. He seemed to have forgotten about Luke and Company. I'm hoping the fact that Sequel films are planned means that he truly *hasn't* forgotten about Luke and that we'll get to see him again. Above all, I'm hoping that we'll find that Luke has been very successful in establishing the Jedi Order. I'm also hoping that we *will* see Luke with a family of his own.

kataja:
    Okay, I understand your reasoning here. It *is* possible that Veitch did originally plan for Luke to really fall, and then realized that it didn't work for Luke's character. However, especially since it *has* now been established that Luke didn't fall in DE, I guess I wouldn't have put him on the list of characters who *did* fall.

That makes two of us! I certainly wouldn't mind if they had more than one kid either.

Exactly on all of the above!

MasterSkywalker86 :
    I really hope so! Or at list a small, but very important one. And I don't want to see Luke die in Episode VII.

kataja:
    Another one???? Luke's girl friends suddenly seem to be coming out of the framework!

I guess this could be okay.... But I was hoping for more of an action-oriented role for this early story...

kataja likes this.
  11. kataja

May 4, 2007
    He certainly looked younger! But age catches up with us all eventually :p

Hey - I think a well balanced romance could be fun! About all the other girls have been nothing but teasers; nothing but a departing kiss! I think it would be very passable that Luke would have a proper romance about this time - being hero and young and all.

Ok, I'll weight my words more properly next time.

I was also thinking of some action... [face_devil] And besides, why would the one exlude the other? Besides, consider: the only proper love interests we know of pre-ESB is Leia and Tanith Shire* - the first turns out to be his sister**, the second Luke was never in love with (according to AoC). That's not very much for a young, hotshot in his first three hero years, is it? People talk about Luke's (doomed) romances - but they all start to happen after he's been Jedi trained. And I really can't see how a reckless young fellow like Luke would be pieous when the galaxy's just opened to him.

* ok, there's Dena Tredway from Jedi's Honor, but no one knows about her. And there was a mind-which who kissed him - but does she count? And there wa s a human replica droid - but I don't think she really counts either.

** so I think we all agree that Luke's interest in her will be tuned down a bit in these new series. In fact, I think what will remain is his puppy love comments from ANH and Leia's kissing him to make Han jealous. That's not so much.

12. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    well duh :p But Hamill aged well during his 20's and 30's considering he had his car accident which alter his appearance.

what's considered passable ?

lol :p we don't even know anything about this girl other than she could be a potential fan girl of Luke.

er what ? o_O

13. kataja

May 4, 2007
    He certainly did! [face_love]

What I consider passable [face_devil] - or what generally is considered passable? Jokes aside, I think it could be nice to see a romance that a) gave Luke some experience (since we know from union he hadn't even kissed a girl back at Tatooine) b) that was warm feelings but not "the-love-of-his-life" scala drama c) that ended in some sober way and particulary without the poor girl dying d) that showed Leia was just a fling among others but one that developed to close friendship.

[face_laugh] Are you suggesting my imagination is running too wild? I just look at Luke's charcater development, and say what I think is lacking: a nice down-to-earth first time experience. And I hope the story developers have come to the same conclusion as myself. I thought for a time that Deena Shan from the Rebellion comics would be this - but it could seem that they allowed her to be a girl he stayed just-friends with. Also a nice addition!

Another Marvel masterpiece o_OCheck out: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Frija_Torlock_(droid)

14. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I guess we will see.... while I want to read it I'm still not too interested to go buy a Rebellion era story. It would be quite interesting to see this new female character as a fan girl though considering Luke just blew up the Death Star two months ago....I remember he had a bunch of fans from the dumb tale Vader's Quest.

hmmm aside of the Brian Wood stuff what else do we have to look forward to for Luke in EU ? Crucible comes out when ?

and this is why I can't stand the Marvel era of EU :oops::p although the idea that Luke somehow taught a robot the concept of love is adorable [face_laugh]

Frija HRD:"I now know why you cry but that is something I can never do Luke."

[​IMG]

15. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Yes, it would... Interesting. Is there much Luke in Vader's Quest? What is it about?
    And agree - he must have had SO many fan girls - and at least some of them must have been nice too.

July 9th. And then there's three Rebel era books announced: Martha Wells' Leia novel, set two years after ANH http://marthawells.livejournal.com/526309.html and James S A Corey's Solo centric story (http://clubjade.net/?p=45974). Kevin Hearns will write a Luke book, it was supposed to be the second in the series, but I haven't heard anything more about it yet. No date yet for the Rebels series. I think it's cool we'll get a book for each of the Big3 - but I suppose Luke will feature in both the Han and Leia books too, at least a little.

It is, isn't it? It's very...lukish [face_blush]

What's that pic, BTW?

16. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    sooo. in this new history will there be a Callsita at all, and if so is she alive? Just wondering what they are going to do. Throw everything out or use the established eu canon.

17. kataja

May 4, 2007
    We're talking the ST now or the novels above? The latter are in the timeline we know, but since they're Rebellion era, there's no reason to believe the ST will influence them in any way. As for the ST, we still have no word about what happens in it.

18. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    It's was a mini-series set sometime after ANH and before ESB. Vader finds out the name of the pilot who destroyed the Death Star....and something something. I honestly don't remember too much about it.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vader's_Quest

I would imagine this new female character could be a possible one if she is in the Alliance military.

hmmm Crucible is the only book post ROTJ ....lame then again I suppose with the ST around we can't really get any books during NR era if the ST takes place during then.

Terminator 2...since the T-800 grows to understand and appreciate human emotion/life I was making a joke that Luke did that for the fembot. :p

19. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    kataja:
    That's a good point...

No, I suppose you're right about that.

Who???

No kidding! ;) I never heard of her!

A mind witch???? No, I wouldn't count her...

Yikes! Definitely NOT!

MasterSkywalker86 :
    I agree. As much as I"m happy that this story will involve Luke, I would have much-preferred a story that takes place when Luke is a Jedi. Zahn is already writing about Luke in this time period (sort of), and we already have all of those Marvel stories. We really don't have a whole lot of stories about Luke and his Jedi except during the many huge crisis situations. I would like to read about what Luke and his Jedi do during "normal" times.

Not a whole lot.... I can't even say that I'm looking forward to Crucible, because that's going to be a Denning book again, and I'm actually afraid to find out if Luke has a permanent Force disability. :mad:Plus, this one is said to be "Han focused" or something like that. Denning does seem to like to write about Han and Leia.... Luke, ... not so much. :(

That *does* sound "adorable".

It goes along with Luke's compassion. Only Luke might do something like that!

kataja:
    But again,.... it's REBEL Luke, not Jedi Luke or Jedi Grandmaster Luke. :(

JediMatteus:
    If you mean what will they do with the ST, I think that's exactly what EVERYONE wants to know! They still haven't announced whether the EU will be over-written or used, or just kept intact but not mentioned. They haven't even said how many years after RotJ it will take place, and they really haven't said for certain whether Luke, Leia, and Han will be in it or not, let alone whether the OT actors will be used. I have no idea when we'll get any new information. I thought we'd hear more by now, but they've been pretty tight-lipped so far.

20. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    okay really stupid question... what does ST stand for?

21. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    sequel trilogy....I kept thinking Star Trek initially

22. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Not a stupid question - a very relevant question! :)

Yes, I imagine so too! :D

I think we have to see what happens first. I think the 'shadow of the ST' will prevent many people from buying even these books that are announced. So it's undestandable that the publishers wait until something official is announced, even if they decide to keep the post ROTJ EU.

You poor dear [face_laugh] all your subtleties are lost against my dense skull!

A lady Luke saves in Jedi's Honor - which is a roleplaying game supplement for West End Games, written by Troy Denning back in 1990. I think it was Ben who made me aware of its existence.

[face_laugh] See - Luke definitely could deserve some positive lady company from this time period! ;)

Well, I'm glad you and MS agree, but I don't. I think the way Zahn writes Luke from this tim we exactly NEED some new stories, that throw light on Luke's resourcefulness and his growth as a person during these first, important years in the Rebellion!

He said "Han-driven" which can be something very different! And I respect that you don't like Dennings novels and that you don't like his Luke characterization - but I really don't see how you can say he doesn't lik to write Luke. Whether you like DNT or not, it's definitely a story that put Luke in the center - LOTF has a LOT of Luke in it, not least Denning's Inferno - and FOTJ placed Luke's and Ben's story as one of the main storylines, I'd even say The main storyline. I'd say it's evident Denning likes Luke and likes to write him! That his Luke isn't the Luke you want to read is another story. And even if Denning might love Han too and to write him, doesn't dimonish that he has very much Luke in his stories.

Exactly!

I love Luke of all eras! And I think it's übercool that we get a complete novel with him in the center! I trust we can get the others later! After all, this isn't running sushi where you can pick what you like - we get a few meticuosly courses served - and we can choose between them. But if we keep coming back for more we might at some point get our favourite.

23. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    it seems likely that due to the ST both Del-Rey and Dark Horse were told not to touch the NR era. I mean not only Invasion was left incomplete but we also don't have any new releases set in that era.

When did he say it would be a Han focused book ? Sadly this will be the only Post ROTJ book and it comes out around the summer. I hope good things for the book but the direction of Legacy era is hardly what I wanted for Luke.

It also leads credibility that the ST will take place during the NR era :D [face_praying]

tsk tsk.....Arnold Schwarzenegger would be disappointed :p

I'll agree that Zahn doesn't have the right characterization for Luke during the Rebellion era, and I'm happy that there will be further stories for Rebel era Luke to correct this issue but a little diversity in regards to EU would also be greatly appreciated. One Rebel era story here, one New Republic era story there, and one NJO era story would go a long way to appeasing us. It just seems LFL is putting all their eggs in one basket.

Han could be the heart of the story but the synopsis was sold as a Big 4 story, so I expect each character has equal participation.

I like DNT, and yes Luke was at the center of it. I don't think Denning's problem was not including enough Luke.....save for Apocalypse but that was due multiple character point of views.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Strictly, while "Marvel-era" it wasn't published in Marvel comics- but in the LA Times.

25. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    so it wasn't even a Marvel story ? Ironic how it fits in with the certain wackiness/absurdity of the actual Marvel books.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.