main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2013 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Sorry [face_blush]. Try and mix it up if you can though, purely from an injury prevention perspective. If that's out of the question then some ankle-strengthening exercises would be worthwhile, and stretch stretch stretch. Hold for 30 seconds x 3 for each one (I have stupidly short hamstrings and always get tight calves).

I don't know how much of that you already do, I'm just throwing it out there for everyone else too...

Obi Anne, do you drink plenty of water? I don't know how that'd effect your diabetes, but my mate always 'overheats' and I tell him every time to drink more water (it's mainly coffee!) but he never does lol.

When I'm in training mode I always have a glass of water on my desk and have 2 pints minimum by the time it comes to running in the evening (I just tend to sip in the hour or two before I run).

2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Thanks for the tip, I had tendinitis in my Achilles a few years ago, so it's something I've already been focused on. Like I said, my first preference would be to to do normal trail runs, but with the short days we have here in winter and the demands of parenthood, it's just not going to happen.

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Yes, I drink quite a lot, and also make sure that I drink before training. In the winter if you really need to drink, and not just because you want to take a break, then it's usually a sign that you have drunk too little before the training. I'm simply not made for summer, I want it to be winter and cold when I do sports.

4. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    OMG, exercise is one of my favorite things to do period. My problem is my exercise window disappeared now that my daughter is in school. I never get a full night's sleep as it is so I'm going to have to get resourceful.

5. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I have found that having a treadmill right outside my bedroom door that I have to walk by every day serves an effective tool to make me hop on it and run. Plus, I like the instantaneous and continuous feedback from a treadmill. Is it better to run outside? Sure. But running on a treadmill is better than sitting on my butt so there's that.

AaylaSecurOWNED and yankee8255 like this.
  6. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    One other thing I love about it is that it helps you controlyour pace quite well. When I run outdoors, I have a rather bad tendency tostart out too fast, so many aches and pains the next day that Idon't go again for months.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  7. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Agree whole heartedly. On the treadmill, I can usually run for a longer time without stopping on a treadmill for that very reason.

8. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    A reason I don't get a gym card is that I know that I wouldn't drag myself away to exercise, I prefer just stepping into my running shoes and go outside. The bad thing is that the circuit I usually do has tended to be too short as I have gotten better.

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    soitscometothis likes this.
  10. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Hahah! That's what it's like at command PT. Alas, no bushes to die behind. :(

Today's a personal best running. I'm pretty stoked. Up to 24 miles for the year! :D

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I envy you. There's some exercise I like, like ice skating and skiing, but that's not something I get to do more than a few times a year. I've been thinking of buying roller skis.
    http://www.nordicskater.com/rolski.html

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I bought a gym membership because I found that it's easier for me to pack a bag of workout clothes and sneakers, and stop by the gym after work, than it is for me to try to work out after I get home.

I much prefer an elliptical or a cross-ramp to a treadmill though. If I run, I do it either on the indoor or outdoor track.

13. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I managed to squeeze in a quick workout yesterday since I got home early with my daughter. So that was two wimpy workouts for the week but better than nothing.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I got in my third workout of the week a couple of hours ago, and got to watch the Tar Heels stomp the Terrapins in the first half of the game while I was on the elliptical.

I prefer not to go to the gym on Saturdays but this week was busy.

15. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I've found lately that having a gym membership motivates me to work out more, because I want to get my money's worth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

16. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I had a YMCA family membership when I was married but I was the only one using it. That said, it's pretty much the only gym membership I ever thought worth it. Still, I couldn't make myself go nearly as often as I should have.

The treadmill on the other hand...it mocks me.

Today was no workout. I'm going swing dancing for the first time in my life though. That should be interesting.

17. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Swing dancing is a work out.

I didn't exercise yesterday but I walked around a Con in my sweatbox of a costume so I figured that was good enough. My SIL and I are starting P90X today since we found out we're going to Hawaii in May we would like to look good. I am going to have to modify some of it I am sure but I will let you know how it goes!

(mobile sock of s65horsey)

Souderwan and AaylaSecurOWNED like this.
  18. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I think I'm gonna update on Sundays to keep myself accountable!

I did about 5.2 miles this week, only two full days of 5k training and one shortened walk, because it's sooo cold outside.Gonna try and increase that this week, the weather shouldn't really be an excuse since I have a treadmill inside, but I do want to do more of my 5k training outside so I'm really ready for my race.
    Also did my initial strength test and first day of 100 Pushups, maxed out at 12 on my last set. (and they were resting on my knees & going about 3/4ths of the way instead of all the way to the ground. Gonna have to build up that strength again.)

Souderwan and MASTERPRENN like this.
  19. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Question guys. I had basketball practice yesterday morning, and weights at the gym last night. No work-out Friday. Should I hit the gym again today, or take the day off?

20. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    If you had a rest day Friday then I'd say listen to your body. If you think a workout would be overexerting yourself, don't do it. If you're just feeling lazy but your body's fine, go to the gym. I wouldn't lift today, though.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the rule for weights is every other day?

I second what ASO said; go to the gym and do something aerobic if you feel like you can physically do it.

22. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Yeah I think I'm just gonna go run and hit abs.

I feel 100% today, not tired or soar or anything. Idk if that is good and means I'm getting in shape, or if I just didn't push myself enough yesterday. Haha

23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I've gotten back on Myfitnesspal.com to start monitoring my food intake and exercise. I'm feeling fairly psyched about doing it again, even though since I was on it in march of last year I gain 8 pounds back. I know I have to monitor everything to really make a difference.

*sigh* it would be so much easier is I was just genetically predisposed to be fit. :p

24. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    At least my sons are meeting their 2013 fitness goals. The 3d grader qualified for Y-State in the 100 freestyle today and the 50 freestyle yesterday.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's awesome. :)

My 2nd grader swims competitively; his first meet for the winter season is next week. His best stroke is the backstroke but he did get a couple of ribbons in freestyle last summer. Waiting to see how the stroke clinic he did in the fall pays off.

Swimming works the entire body; that's one reason I want to get back into it. It's more time-consuming than 30 minutes on the elliptical or cross ramp and that's my current issue.