main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2013 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    That's exciting stuff. The 8 and unders are so much fun to watch, the older kids too, although I had to enter DQs for an entire heat of 9-10 50 fly this weekend (I put in almost 18 hours of swim meet volunteering this weekend, but it's so much better than just sitting in the stands).

2. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I like this plan. Sundays are a good day to check in. I'll do the same. Nice work on your week!

For me, the week was 10.5 miles. Dropped about a pound but I don't put much stock in it since my weight bounced all over the place this week. Back to it tomorrow!

3. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I didn't throw a hissy fit before going to the gym Saturday. I call that progress.

yankee8255, Souderwan and MASTERPRENN like this.
  4. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Just got back from the gym! Did a mile and a half, abs, and a little lifting. But not much. I guess that means I did 5.5 miles this week, plus two hours of basketball. Add in the weights, and I'm seeing a lot of progress!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    You might have to up that 365 mile goal in a couple months :p

Souderwan likes this.
  6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    conditions have been so cold and icy up here that i haven't been running in almost a month. i still walk about 5 miles a day though.

7. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Why don't you just move to a good state

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lowbacca_1977 and Miana Kenobi like this.
  8. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    last time i went running in icy conditions i came back covered in blood and feeling real light-headed. it was because i brought my grun along and killed every little denizen of nature i came across. it was exhilarating and i jumped in the hot tub right after with a scotch and i felt GREAT.

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    you are more sure of foot than i. i've fallen three times already this winter just trying to walk on the stuff.

10. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    well i did have my kleets on. i am not a fool.

11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Tomorrow's my week 3 weigh & measure-in to see where I stand. Then in the next week, I start reintroducing exercise into my routine, which will hopefully help the numbers even more.

12. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    That would be an awesome problem to have. Alas, historically I find I start out with decent to good motivation and then end up slacking off for weeks at a time--with appropriate rationalizations, of course. I figured a modest, but absolutely achievable goal like this one will shame me into avoiding that pitfall. :p

13. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    rowing schedule continues. tonight: 1 hour

6 min at 5k pace, 2:09 500 m split
    9 min at marathon pace, 2:18
    4 min rest

14. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Ok so I survived day 1 of P90X. It was chest and back which I was worried about because those are definitely two very week parts. I didn't attempt chin ups (actually I don't think I can do one since my hand with the finger I broke last year isn't up to 100% anyways) so I faked those and moved my arms. I did more push-ups than I've done since college (fake ones on my knees) and I've woken up this morning sore but not in a bad way so I'm pleased. My neck seems to be holding up which is what I'm most concerned about. Today is jumping so we'll see how that goes. I intend to wear two bras to see if that helps.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  15. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Only lost 1lbs this week, but 2" off my waist. I'll take that. :)

Souderwan, MASTERPRENN and ma_petite like this.
  16. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    My attempts at weight loss may or may not have been fruitful. While my scale indicates no actual weight loss, myself and others are beginning to notice a difference. I am chalking that up to wishful thinking as I can't account for any activity that would account for a loss in size but maintaining the same weight. I just the scale is broken/inaccurate.

17. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    That is why I don't use scales. I went to the doctor the other week and the first thing out of her mouth was "wow you look thinner!" but according to their scale I definitely did not lose any weight. So I'm going to ignore the scale and thanks for the idea Miana Kenobi I am going to take measurements and look for inches instead of weight.

Souderwan likes this.
  18. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Well my diet plan requires I watch the scales as the plan adjusts as I lose weight based on the weight itself. It's not as effective if I don't keep track.

19. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Today, I'm throwing out all my old pants that are 4 inches too big. I used to keep these pants around so I could wear them again "in case". But I'm done playing that game. I'm going to Cortes those bad boys.

20. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Sorry for the double post, but i wanted to comment on this. Over the last year, I obsessed with the scale--still do, if I'm going to be 100% honest. I weighed myself pretty much every day and you know what I found? Weight bounces all over the place. Even now, when I weigh myself consistently at the same time every day (right after I wake up), dressed consistently, I can see my weight fluctuate by as much as 5 lbs at times. Causes vary but it's mostly variations in water weight. It's also important to note that if you're on an exercise plan of any kind, you're going to build lean muscle mass and that weighs more than fat so it can mask fat loss on a scale.

Bottom line? Don't let the scale discourage you. It sure did for me a lot last year and I realize now how dumb I was being. It's fine to weigh yourself but it's more valuable to measure performance gains or changes in body composition. Those have more to do with fitness and fat loss than a scale can tell you.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I need to clean out my closet too. I've got several dresses and pairs of pants that are two dress sizes too big. I got rid of the too-big shorts and capris last summer but yeah, more work to be done.

Souderwan likes this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    One thing I've done for the past 4 months is lower my pop consumption. I now have it on the weekends, but even that is fairly infrequent. Obviously during breaks I allow myself to cheat a little. I now rely on coffee, sports drinks, and ice tea whenever I sit down. Right now I'm enjoying a cup of black coffee.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    When my doctor first told me to cut carbs, I stopped buying Pepsi Throwback and started buying seltzer water. I dropped several pounds quickly.

I'll still have 2-3 Diet Cokes a week which I probably need to cut out.

24. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Good move, dude. Liquid calories are a killer.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    One thing I need to stop doing is having Gatorade at night when I'm just about to go to bed. I stay up an extra hour although that might be just the insomnia that I have.