main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Patent Troll Sues Podcasters; Could End Podcasting

Discussion in 'Community' started by Narutakikun, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I used to get the Economist and the Freakonomics guys ones and stuff, but the Economist ones didn't have enough depth and the freakonomics one would work better as a written piece

2. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Because I don't listen to music. Instead, I listen to podcasts constantly. That's the cool thing about audio - you can listen to it while you do other things. Anyhow, my podcast roll is:

Ancient Warfare Magazine
    Audition
    AutoPilot
    Bible Study Podcasts
    Big Pop Fun with Tom Wilson
    BondCast
    Book
    The Book Was Better
    BTR Advice Line with Roy Masters
    The Catholic Laboratory
    The China History Podcast
    Clone Wars Roundtable
    Coast to Coast AM Podcast
    The CultCast
    Dallas AfterBuzz TV
    Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
    The Dave Glover Show
    The dealnews podcast
    Derb Radio
    EconTalk
    English News from NHK
    Film Sack
    FT Arts
    Game of Thrones AfterBuzz TV
    Geek Tragedy
    History Extra
    The History Network
    The History of Rome
    A History of Hannibal
    How Did This Get Made?
    Howie Carr
    iFive for the iPhone
    iPadre Catholic Podcast
    Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101
    Learn Russian with RussianPod 101
    Leo Laporte - The Tech Guy
    MacOS Ken
    MacBreak Weekly
    MacCast
    My History Can Beat Up Your Politics
    The Napoleon Bonaparte Podcast
    No Agenda
    Once Upon A Time Fan Podcast
    The P.W.A. Show
    Quiver: The Green Arrow Podcast
    The Rod Pod
    The Rogue Arrow Podcast
    The SaintCast
    The SciFi Party Line Podcast
    Smart Wrestling Fan
    Solo Sound: We Talk Clones
    The Spirit Blade Underground Podcast
    SQPN: Catholic Insider
    SQPN: Secrets of Once Upon A Time
    SQPN: The Break with Father Roderick
    Stuff You Missed in History Class
    Talkin' Toons with Rob Paulsen
    Tech News Today
    This Week In Tech
    Today in iOS
    The Tolkien Professor
    Weekly ForceCast
    Word on Fire Sermon Podcast
    Yeah, It's That Bad
    99% Invisible

Actually, looks like I miscounted - that's only 65.

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Well, yeah, sort of. I understand, in that I prefer audio stories to music myself, but I still don't see how this is clicking. Listening to people talking on a podcast requires attention, whereas music really doesn't. So while I can sit in traffic and listen to a podcast, I don't see how one could, say, simultaneously write a paper and listen to a podcast.

4. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    When I am at work and doing something that doesn't require my auditory attention I love to throw on a podcast while I work.

5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    me too (i do tv and youtube lectures more often tho) but 65? im assuming most of those are weeklyish? i wish i had that much mindless task time. what did you go to grad school for? because id like to earn a degree AND catch up on my television

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't listen to podcasts anymore. Am I missing out?

7. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Yes. There's a lot of chaff, and you'll listen to, and give up on, a bunch of bad ones along with finding some good ones, but there's some great stuff out there.

I rarely watch television, either. TCW, Young Justice, Once Upon A Time, Arrow, and, depending on the season, Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, or Dallas. When they bring back Legend of Korra, and if they bring back Thundercats, I'll watch those, too. So that's five or six hours of currently-running a week, which I usually do all in one day, along with a couple of anime episodes and maybe an episode of a classic like UFO, Buck Rogers, Kolchak, or The Greatest American Hero.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Two Christian podcasts? Trying to bombard the niggling double into suspicion with volume?

Is Reasonable Doubts still any good? They started out awesome but petered off when they covered all the topics they could make interesting.

9. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    uuhhhhh

10. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    I guess the fact that I listen to six Apple-related podcasts is because I'm trying to bombard the aspiring Dell fan within me into suspicion with volume.

You... disapprove of my television choices?

11. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I think you missed the point....

Their vs. They're

EDIT -- Also, naturally they are going to keep copyright over Mickey and Co.

It allows them to get their lawyers whenever someone does something like this:
    [​IMG]

12. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Ah, yes, doubtless that's what Hamas really fears - a lawsuit from Disney's legal team.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's probably because you watch a crap load of TV from the looks of it.

14. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008

Actually...yes. Believe it or not, after the big brou-ha-ha and condemnation from both Disney CEO Bob Iger and Diane Disney Miller, the producers of the show responded by obliging them and taking Clone-Mickey off the air....in the most asinine way possible....

Yep. He was kidnapped and martyred at the hands of vengeful Jews.

EDIT -- The best part is....parody is still protected from copyright claims.
    So South Park is still in the clear.
    [​IMG]

15. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    The average American watches 34 hours of TV a week - nearly as much as a full-time job. 34 รท 7 = 4.8... I think we can safely round that up to 5. I regularly watch 5-6 hours of currently-running shows a week (Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, and Dallas aren't full-season shows and don't all run concurrently, so usually I'm watching only one or two of them in any given week). So that means I watch a maybe an hour more of currently-running TV in a week than the average American watches in a day. Count in the anime and classics, and at most I'm still watching less in seven days than the average American watches in two.

And remember, I watch all that in one day (typically Monday, which my roommate and I both have off, and which fits nicely with the fact that most of what we watch are shows that run on the weekend). So I'm TV-free six days a week.

OK, but that was still because Iger and Miller asked them to and they agreed, not because they sued them under copyright law and forced them to.