main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    [​IMG]

Look at Mitch McConnell's face... "omg, it wasn't just a nightmare, I failed... Obama is a two-term president!"

Here's Carter and the Clinton's...
    [​IMG]

2. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Could you elaborate, please?

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Inauguration day:

MSNBC: "Obama and his family are smiling and enjoying this and his supporters feel an emotional connection and know that he cares."

Fox: "Meh. Agenda."

CNN: "What a great marching band."

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Everyone seems to agree that it was a very strong and unexpectedly bold speech.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/01/21/inaugural-address-president-barack-obama

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Speeches are nice. Action will be better.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Depends on Congress for a lot of the specific policy proposals, but I think we're definitely going to get Immigration Reform this year. Tax reform, entitlement reform, and further investment in infrastructure/energy are still likely. If the Paycheck Fairness Act comes up, I don't know how Republicans can have a future if they don't go along with it. Something will be done on gun violence, even if it's only universal background checks but I could see more passing too. AG Holder is looking into voting reform so everyone is automatically registered to vote when they turn 18, and registration automatically updates when you move, and Congress may try again to make a federal law so everyone can vote by mail. As for gay rights, that ball is in the Supreme Court right now with DOMA and Propositon 8, and after those issues are settled and Immigration Reform and the fiscal battles and gun violence are tackled, I could see a push to pass ENDA to ban discrimination based on sexual orientation at the federal level. President Obama did achieve a lot in his first term, and I could see him getting a good majority of his agenda passed in this term.

7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i dunno it depends on your specific misconceptions about why the united states' deficits matter. there seem to be different narratives in different subordinate classes/subideologies of (small l) liberalism, from the very unsophisticated folks who seem to think national debt is similar to their gambling debt accrued playing the ponies and china's going to come repo the west coast if we dont pay them off, to some rather more sophisticated ideas about debt that a kid in a college economics program might hold.

tell me a bit about that and ill try and tear it apart for you if you like

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, remember NO president can accomplish anything alone. He needs the support of a lot of citizens; he needs the support of Congress. He can propose much as well, but the president alone is one man.

9. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    It's as important that he remember that as it is that we do. He can say what he likes, but if he comes off strong and is (for whatever reason) unable to follow through, all you're going to end up with is more disillusioned voters.

10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Sure.

And if "others" spread mistruths and exaggerations (regardless of which is "president" and which is "majority Congress") consensus goes the way of the dinosaurs and action is stalled. Then nothing is done. Ever.

Which is why I hate the past 4 years - rather than working to find commonality in solutions that benefit AMERICANS we had partisan politics.

It is true I blame the GOP/tea party faction for the majority share of that, but I'd say the same if the positions were reversed. You shouldn't go into a new president's term and announce you are going to block anything you can so you can win the next cycle, screw those who didn't vote for "you" and maybe even those who did in the name of "winning."

To me that is anti-American.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    [face_plain][face_plain][face_plain]

Look at what McConnell is saying now...

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) addressed supporters in a frantically toned email on Monday, warning them of a looming effort to snatch up their guns.​

"You and I are literally surrounded. The gun-grabbers in the Senate are about to launch an all-out-assault on the Second Amendment. On your rights. On your freedom," reads the opening of the email, according to The Hill.​

"[T]hey're coming for your guns," the email exhorts.​

Last week, President Barack Obama unveiled a comprehensive set of initiatives meant to combat gun violence. Alongside 23 executive actions, Obama also announced his intention to press congressional lawmakers to introduce a set of measures, including a renewed assault weapons ban and restriction on large-capacity ammunition magazines.​

Following Obama's announcement, McConnell said he'd take a tempered approach to judging the effort against gun violence, declaring that the “first test of any new legislation” would be “whether or not it infringes on the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms.”​

The Kentucky Republican has apparently decided that the president's proposals would violate the Second Amendment. Over the weekend, he sent out a telephone recording to supporters in his home state, promising to fight Obama's new campaign "tooth and nail."

"President Obama and his team are doing everything in their power to restrict your Constitutional right to keep and bear arms," McConnell said in the recording. "Their efforts to restrict your rights, invading your personal privacy and overstepping their bounds with executive orders, is just plain wrong."

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  13. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    My personal favorite, from the full thing:

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Bill O'Reilly just questioned whether Obama can read. [face_plain]

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Of course he can't. He edited the Harvard Law Review by osmosis.

And I wonder if O'Reilly has seen these:

Tea Party misspelled signs

HuffPo had 67 of them at one time. One of them out of Raleigh during the Obamacare debate said "No pubic option." I had so much fun with that one, wondering when the last time any of those bat**** angry people had experienced a "pubic option."

I'm still looking for it, but there was a geek convention in DC in which one of the signs said, "All the signs at this rally are spelled correctly."

This probably belongs in the Derp thread...

ETA: Found it, from the Rally to Restore Sanity in 2010:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kimberlyfaye/5130162239/

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    God, that McConnell email is irresponsible. That's about all I've got, just unbelievably out of touch.

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Any bets on when the GOP or McConnell will come out and say that's a fake voicemail?

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Tomorrow. On Fox News. Have they come back from their "scheduled maintenance" yet?

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Briefly flipped to check, saw Karl Rove's face, and quickly flipped back to RAW before I could vomit.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  20. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    "Are footcher is uner attac"

If you're going to be stupid at least try not to be proud of it. And Mitch McTurtle really needs to be kicked out of the senate for that message.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    From a different thread, about possibly schizophrenic mass shooters:

"They have a fragmented thought process, and live in a paranoid, disorganized world of delusions and hallucinations."

....remind you of anyone? :p

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So, can you guys imagine what today would have been like if this guy was inaugurated today?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    He doesn't need Congress to prosecute the corporate criminals who helped bring down the economy five years ago--only a Justice Department with its priorities straight.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Gun owners?

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I am thankful everyday that Romney wasn't elected and that we're not talking about a Romney inaguration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.