main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Tactics

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darthbarracuda, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Right they talked about during the Utapau scenes (the commentary on ROTS Blu Ray).

2. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    I guess it looks better on screen when there's guys running all over the place shooting and dying and stuff, but really, why not just duck for cover? Look at droids! They don't have shield generators on themselves! So just drop an atomic bomb and blam they are all gone!

Forgive me for my ignorance as I am not in the military, but do we still send thousands of troops into battle all shooting and having formations and such? It was my understanding that we mostly did duck-and-cover tactics and stuff.

Maybe, in order to capture a planet or something, you need a gazillion troops...

Speaking on that, what is the definition of a "conquered planet"? Do you just capture the capital and then that's it?

3. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    The answer to your question is no (well not really). In terms of Infantry (which is what I was) then no the soldiers are not in formations of massed troops shoulder to shoulder. However, they do mass tanks and other armored vehicles in fairly tight formations so as to mass the greatest amount of firepower. Of course, it also depends on the terrain. You're obviously not gonna mass your armored units together in a major city (as it reduces manueverability) but you would in the desert. Infantry doesn't do "duck and cover" as that's what was taught in the 50's to school children to protect from themselves from falling objects (i.e the ceiling of their school) but instead use what's called fire and manuever. Half the soldiers lay down cover fire and the other half rush ahead. Then after a few seconds the soldiers who had rushed ahead will drop down and lay down cover fire so that the other half (which was previously laying down fire) can rush ahead next.

darthbarracuda and DarthBoba like this.
  4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    ILNP is correct. I'm currently in the US Army as an infantryman myself.

5. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    So...why do the droids and clones charge at each other when they could easily just drop a bomb and obliterate each other? Why not do orbital bombardment?

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Possibly because, for one reason or another, they want that part of enemy territory intact.

DarthBoba likes this.
  7. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yep. Not much point in obliterating what you're trying to take.

8. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Still doesn't explain the atrocious formations of clones and droids at Geonosis. Seriously, standing out in the open en masse? That's just asking to be carpet-bombed.

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    That can be explained to the amateur-ish nature of the leadership. Jedi, not soldiers, leading one side; terrified businessmen trying to escape, leading the others.

ILNP likes this.
  10. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    But you'd think that after millennia of conflict, there'd be a little better idea of warfare right? And by the end of the Clone Wars, they should've realized their terrible tactics and made them better...

11. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Changing this would alter the entire OT, but:

When watching ANH, I realised if they would've charged the superlaser on the Death Star while coming into range onto Yavin IV, they could've possibly destroyed the Rebels right there.

I looked it up, and I guess the main consensus is that they couldn't use both at once. I wondered why the Death Star didn't have separate hyper matter reactors, one for the super laser and the other for the reactor-ion engines, so both could be used at the same time. And thus, this (from my very limited physics knowledge) might've allowed the Empire to charge and fire on Yavin IV before the Rebellion had the chance to stop them.

12. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Well Tarkin was feeling pretty invincible at that point and well, he had good reason to be feeling invincible. So he probably didn't see much reason for haste.

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
  13. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    Also, the DS1 is full of flaws compared to the DS2. They probably made some major changes in the new death star compared to the old one...

14. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    The first Death Star didn't have flaws. The proton torpedo shot to the core was literally impossible, and it was only because there was a Force user flying that X-wing that the battle station was destroyed.

15. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    The torpedoes didn't detonate at the core. They caused a chain reaction near the surface that made the core blow.

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
  16. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    OK so maybe not flaws but the DS2 was updated compared to the DS1. The targeting of the superlaser was much more precise, allowing it to destroy one of the rebel's capital ships. It was much bigger as well. But idk why they left this giant hole that a ship could enter, that leads right to the main reactor core. I mean really the military strategists have got to be on something to let that pass...

17. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    It wasn't done being constructed yet. :p

18. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    That great big hole was there because it was under construction.

Edit: Bah, missed it by that much. You're too fast DarthBoba :p

19. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    Oh ok thanks I was thinking...you didn't learn from the last time a massive multi-bazillion dollar battlestation was destroyed? But now it makes sense...

20. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Also, gotta give the Rebels some way of killing the Death Star or else they won't take the bait.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  21. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I'd suggest Palpatine being present was more than enough bait.

darthbarracuda likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.