main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC If there is a God, then why is there evil and suffering?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Sep 11, 2012.

1. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    that man was a genus.

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Not to mention Kemetism. Or Sumer for that matter.

4. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    it is said Hinduism predates recorded history.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Let us have correction or elaboration on this. Hinduism as I understand is dated to 1500 BC. The pantheon of ancient Egypt predates this by 2500 years and Babylon and Sumer are even sooner. Hinduism is perhaps the oldest religion still practiced today.

6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The Lord works in mysterious ways. That's what I told my wife when she got breast cancer. Then she punched me.

7. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    I was told by actual practitioners no one knows when the religion started because it predates indian writing, ie prehistory. As for thoes others, does anyone still practice them?

8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    My meaning for the coment that prompted this was that all religions are influenced by those that preceded them. Sumer, to Babylon, to Ancient Egypt, to Hinduism, to Mithraism, to Christianity etc etc.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That's not logically true. The Aztec religion was not influenced by Christianity just because one "predated" the other. Religions, like all other cultural produce, are influenced only by the specific ideas and circumstances that actually influence them.

10. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Who/what are you plain facing? Such a cryptic post.

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I just watched a show called 'Disappeared,' and the episode I caught involved a girl who disappeared, got into prostitution, and in the course of the investigation, a dozen prostitutes' bodies were discovered. And then the parents of that girl said "Thank God our daughter wasn't among them." Yes, God is so merciful for allowing a dozen other girls to be killed, but not our daughter!

13. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    If there is a God, then why is there evil and suffering?

Because God gave us the right to own guns!!!

14. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Captain Obvious And His Cultural Produce.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    1. Because you didn't have enough faith. Insert something here about moving damn mustard seeds.
    2. Because you or the other suffering person "sinned."
    3. Because the parents of you or the other suffering person "sinned," and "sins" of the parents are visited on the children for generations and generations, which means if your parents "sinned," your kids and grandkids are ****ed as well.
    4. Insert another explanation here for why you pissed off God and therefore it is "God's will" that you suffer.

I prefer my own explanation, which is straightforward and does not involve making some temperamental dude in the sky happy:

**** happens.

(See, it's so simple it even covers the invention of indoor plumbing.)

16. Sith93Apprentice

Sith93Apprentice Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    Ok, this topic has always interested me. Hinduism does not exist in unbroken continuity since it's inception. It exists in many forms today. India is home to 4 of the world's 7 major religions, which originated there. On examination, ostensibly, religion develops as a system of coping mechanisms which address the unique challenges of terrain and climate. Many religions do in fact share common principals, but it should be pointed out that a series of trade routes stretched from ancient Mesopotamia into India and Tibet, called the Silk Road. It was by these trade routes that Buddhism, Zen and Taoism found their across Asia beginning in China. Christianity is based on Judaism and Greek Neoplatonic ideas. Judaism, actually gets most of it's core concepts and even names and structures from the Egyptians, who themselves borrowed from their neighbors, including the Sumerians. If one traced the evolution of Western religious doctrine, it began in Sumeria, probably in Ur, where 2 different migrations of peoples seemd to originate also. Some of those went north into territory that is Turkey, India, Pakistan, etc. some of those went West into Egypt. Even the bible records Abraham and his sons traveling West probably in exile, probably for some political crime. Catholicism leans heavily on Judaism, but the early church founders took great pains to seperate themselves from other Jews, so many of the traditional Jewish rituals and holidays were simply substituted for Christian ones. this trend would continue for several centuries while Christians worked to make themselves distinct, because originally there was nothing remarkable about the sect and even Jesus was 1 holy man among many who were doing the same thing and preaching the same doctrine. Even Jewish and Roman recors indicated that there were about 200 Jesuses running around doing the same thing. This later became known as the Seperation of the Ways. hinduism enjoyed next to no influence from Christianity, probably until India became a British Colony. I have pre-WWII books filled with editorials on Hindu attitudes towards English speaking Chritians and their Chivalry. It gave me the impression these were commenting on current affairs of their time and they were pretty unflattering. At the least, Western ideas were not widely accepted and definitely not appreciated. A curiosity in all fo this is that Krishna means "Christ" and this predates the Judeo-Christian mythology. To be frank, most of the stories we are used to from the bible actually come from other cultures who were never credited . The truth is that other religions influenced the formation of Christian doctrine, not the other way around. Perhaps this was the original function of Catholicism, whose root is actually latin for "universal".

17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I've got one word for you... paragraph.

18. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Can I add two more?
    Possessive. Pronoun.

19. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    What if Christ didn't die for our sins...but because the author thought that made a more compelling ending to the story?

20. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm reminded of that line in Sleepless in Seattle when Meg Ryan says something along the lines of man creating destiny because we can't handle the idea that everything is accidental.

22. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    If God created Adam from dust, why did he need Mary to give birth to Jesus?

If we are all God's children, what makes Jesus so special?

If God sacrificed his son so that all of mankind will be saved, but then Jesus came back to life, that doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice.

23. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Yep. Good things happen to good people. Bad things happen to good people. Good things happen to bad people. Bad things happen to bad people.

It's all random, folks. Now be nice to others, hope for the best, and sign up for organ donation.

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Not touching that thing.