main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Game Over? Atari Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by LAJ_FETT , Jan 21, 2013.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC News

The US operations of Atari have filed for bankruptcy protection.
    The maker of the ground-breaking video game Pong is seeking to separate from its loss making French parent Atari SA.
    Atari Inc, together with Atari Interactive Inc, Humongous Inc. and California US Holdings Inc. want to secure independent funding to develop digital and mobile games.
    Atari said in December it was looking to raise cash and was talking to investors.
    In a statement, the companies said, "with this move the US based Atari operations seek to separate from the structural financial encumbrances of their French parent holding company, Atari SA".

2. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    To be honest, i didn't even know Atari still existed. Can't remmember the last time is saw a game with their logo [face_thinking]

3. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    All I've seen from them in recent years is t-shirts and maybe some cheap retro emulations for NDS or something..?

I still play on my Lynx once or twice a decade. :D

4. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Chapter 11 bankruptcy doesn't necessarily mean Critical Mission Failure. As I understood it, it means "We want to get out of some of our big debts, so we're applying for technical bankruptcy to get rid of a big number of debts and start up again elsewhere."

And frankly, with the euro as it is, I'd want to get out of Europe, too.

And on the other hand, it's not the first time they've royally screwed themselves up.

5. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    They did D&D:Daggerdale, Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime, Sacred 2: Fallen Angel, and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. Plus others.

6. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Didn't they also make the spiderman movie games?

7. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    There is no atari logo in my Witcher 2 game, but most likely im just blind and it's always been there lol

8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Their retro catalog alone should be able to sustain them during their transition.

10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I think Chap 11 is a transition bankruptcy not a full liquidation. That's Chap 7. That means you shut down. 11 means you are protected and shielded for a bit while you get your stuff straightened out.

I owned one of the first 2600 systems when they were first out on the market.

Atari will be back in some way or another.

11. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I hope they don't go the way of Commodore, just a trendy retro brand to be stamped on mp3 players and whatever else.

12. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    They're following down the path THQ just went... shame they both had to start the year like this.