main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Would Disney Re-Cast Anakin/Darth Vader over using Hayden again?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by clone3131, Jan 15, 2013.

1. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    It just takes so much effort to put in that extra "y".

Not to argue with a staff person or anything because I 100% agree with you that we're (or me) are belaboring the point but I feel like the main reason people don't want Hayden as a Force Ghost is because of his acting ability. Force Ghosts don't just stand around and do nothing.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Since you have obviously made your point that you don't want Hayden as a Force Ghost because you don't like his acting ability, why exactly are you feeling the need to belabor it?

Is there another point you are trying to make here? Because your opinion of Christensen's acting ability has been noted. And there was a pretty decent and productive discussion happening in the past several pages until the point-belaboring recommenced.

3. Catsmeow

Catsmeow Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    If Hayden gets offered the role he should take it because his career has been in the tube for years. Anyway, I don't like Hayden as an actor at all, he was a piece of wood for the most part and in ROTS I find myself now laughing at him during the battle on Mustafa at least in the way he delivers his lines.
    I have seen him in that movie with Jessica Alba with the being awake during the heart transplant, and his acting remained pretty much the same. I have only seen him in two other movies besides the two prequels so maybe my opinion isn't fair but you know? I just hope if he does get re-casted he just gets to stand there and look pretty because that is why he was cast in the first place wasn't it?
    Sorry if I sounded mean!

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Are we assuming that Anakin/Vader will come back as a Force ghost at all? Seems that that question ought to be discussed before we even delve into who should play him.

I haven't seen "Awake." I've seen the TV show "Higher Ground" and the movies "Life as a House" and "Shattered Glass," in which he played the same angsty teenager/young adult that Anakin was. I think Lucas was looking for that prototype for Anakin and that's why Hayden was cast. But that's beside the point when we're discussing Episode VII.

After we answer the question as to whether Anakin should come back at all--assuming the answer is yes, we need to determine what role he should play. Is he only going to make a cameo appearance to plead for Leia's forgiveness as he did in Truce at Bakura? Is he going to advise Luke regularly as Obi-Wan did in ESB and ROTJ? If so, is he going to advise him primarily as his father or primarily as a Jedi? All of this makes a difference.
    Also, how old is Luke going to be in this story? Will Mark Hamill play him or will he be played by a younger actor?

Will we need an actor that appears old enough to be Luke's father, or can Arndt write a script in which Luke can take advise/wisdom/etc. from his father's younger self? If the answer is the former and Luke is played by Mark Hamill, the casting staff will need to find an 80-year-old actor to play Anakin.

There is a hell of a lot more to discuss here than "NO HADEN SHOULDNT DO IT BECAUSE HE SUX!"

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  5. windu4

May 15, 2008
    Let's keep in mind that we don't know anything at all about the movie other than the fact that it's the "continued adventures of Luke, Han and Leia". So is it probably that he could come back as a force ghost? Absolutely.

Would he?

It depends on if Disney is willing to hire Hayden to sustain continuity between the films regardless of his perceived lack of talent.

It all depends on the premise and plot of the original trilogy. It's simply to early to determine this.

That being said, I don't think Hayden should do it because he has demonstrated a lack of talent in the acting department. Why else hasn't he been in any movies in the past few years?

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You're assuming a few things here:

One, that the movie is the "continued adventures of Luke, Han and Leia"--is it? I had only heard that it was the continued adventures of the Skywalker family, no solid confirmation on the Big Three.

Two, that if/since the movie is the "continued adventures of Luke, Han and Leia", that Anakin would "probably" come back as a Force ghost. Why is that "probable"? Again the question of whether the story would need Anakin in a role advising or warning Luke or Leia.

Three, that Anakin coming back would depend on whether Disney would be "willing to hire Hayden." Again my questions as to how old Luke would be and what sort of role the script would have for Anakin.

You are taking your personal assumptions that the movie is definitely about the Big Three, therefore Anakin must reappear, therefore Disney must be willing to hire Hayden, to move along to the premise that (correct me if I'm wrong) you seem most eager to discuss, which is how much you dislike Hayden's acting.

The other questions need to be answered first.

Jedi Merkurian , eht13, Lee_ and 2 others like this.
  7. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    It is entirely possible that placing Hayden in the end scene of ROTJ was done for the very purpose of a pending ST. Star Wars has established a reputation for bringing back the same actors for roles that span generations. Any solid actor could have played Palpatine in the PT, but how cool is it that its the same guy that was The Emperor in the OT? Chewbacca could have been anyone in Ep III, but we all love that Mayhew was in the suit. Same for C-3PO and even Kenny Baker.

With the ST on the horizon, assuming we get the Big 3, we have the reverse, bringing back the young cast to play their older characters. AWESOME!!!

But when it comes to Anakin, there would be no way to do it with the original actor, obviously because he has passed, but would have been impossible to even loosely plan if you have an older man playing the part in 1983 and expect him to come back in 2015.

I know that hindsight is always 20/20, but IF Anakin does return as a ghost in Ep VII, I would argue that that was the plan all along.

Remember, we have no idea when Lucas began thinking about the ST as a reality. I know he denied it would ever happen for a while, but throw that on the pile of things that were said about how many episodes would happen.....

As far as Disney not wanting to use him goes, I doubt they will interfere with that. Like him or not, Hayden is the familiar face of Anakin in the Star Wars films, and that is in some ways more important than being the best actor.

Lee_ likes this.
  8. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Interesting speculation on Hayden appearing in ROTJ as a setup for his return in the ST, I never thought of it that way; that could well be true.

I am 99% sure Lucas planned more movies all along. He expressed a lot of displeasure in interviews with geeks trolling him on the internet; as discussed in another thread, I think he was trolling them back to some degree by saying there would be no more movies. He even related the two elements in a quote on the subject, "Why would I make any more when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

I am sure Disney is fine with Hayden; any contradiction to that is half-baked speculation. No one anywhere near LF or Disney has voiced anything negative about him; I've heard a lot of praise from other actors and people involved with SW.

Darth_Martus and LunarMoth like this.
  9. windu4

May 15, 2008
    I said it was probable that Anakin could appear which means there is a possibility or probability that Anakin will show up again. I don't know if he'll show up again. Which I said about three times in my post. I am not making any personal assumptions. I read that it would be the continued adventures of the Big Three. Maybe it was a theory or just rumors. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought it was about the Big Three because I read it on a press release. It might have been foolish for me to take that as fact. I could be wrong. That being said I am not saying that Anakin will reappear. I said I don't know. All I said is that it's probable that he'll come back as a force ghost. That doesn't mean I think he will or that I want him to.

I am aware that the other questions need to be answered in my post. In my post I explicitly said that we don't know anything and that we're jumping the boat by even having this discussion. Did you read all of my post? It seems like you're zeroing in on the fact that I said I disliked Haden's acting and not the fact that we don't know about the plot or premise to make any conclusive statements on who and who isn't going to be in the movie.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Why is it "probable" that Anakin will come back as a Force-ghost?

11. windu4

May 15, 2008
    Probable is a derivative of the word probability which " is a measure or estimation of how likely it is that something will happen or that a statement is true.". Therefore (depending on the plot of the movie) there is a probability that Anakin will come back as a Force Ghost. Especially when you look at the past choices Lucas Film has made.

I'm not entirely sure why I had to go out of my way to explain that. Again: I'm not sure if Anakin will come back as a Force Ghost but it could happen. Theoretically anything's probable. Especially with Star Wars movies.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No, "probable" means "likely." We have no evidence at this point that it's "likely" that Anakin will come back as a Force ghost.

But go ahead and insult the people that you're pretending you want to converse with, by behaving as if they need a dictionary.

If you want to presume that Anakin is going to come back as a Force ghost, why not just say as much?

In which case we can move along to the time frame of the films and how old Anakin needs to appear, and in what capacity he's going to appear as a Force ghost--all questions that need to be answered before we can discuss who is going to play him.

13. windu4

May 15, 2008
    I'm not insulting you. You're nitpicking my posts to the point where I literally have to explain everything that I've said. I think it's fairly easy to determine what I mean by it being probable that Anakin will show up in the movies. Arguing over a definition of a word is also pointless. Especially when I expounded on what I meant.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    OK, so you're obviously assuming that Anakin is going to come back as a Force-ghost.

Moving along. In what capacity are you assuming that he will return? Advising the New Jedi Order as a Jedi who fell and returned? Appearing only to Luke or Leia, as their father? And in that case, are you assuming that he'll appear to only one of them, or both? That could make a difference, as they view him very differently, and one might be more receptive to a younger version of their father than the other one would. Could Arndt write the script so that either Luke or Leia taking information from a youthful version of their father would work?

Also important: how old are Luke and Leia in this story? Are we assuming this takes place directly after ROTJ or 30 years later? Also would make a difference in how Anakin needs to appear, especially if he is to appear as the father of a 50-year-old.

15. windu4

May 15, 2008
    I am not assuming that Anakin is coming back as a Force-Ghost. I am saying that he MIGHT come back as a Force Ghost. I don't know how many times I have to tell you this. I also don't know how many times I have to repeat that I don't know what the plot is.

At this point I'm pretty sure I'm being either mocked or trolled because I'm not sure if you're paying attention to what I'm saying or not.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If you don't want to operate under the presumption that Anakin is going to come back as a Force ghost, there's not a whole lot of point in discussing who should play him as a Force ghost.

What exactly do you want to discuss?

17. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    I dont know. I like Hayden and i thought the only thing he's missing is experience. Like Pitt and DiCaprio back in the day. Damn, is anyone in here who thought that "Harry Osborne" gets an Oscar Nomination?

However, the big point is just this: i grew up with Sebastian Shaw. He was the Father, he was the Ghost. There was so much imagination that comes with his gently apperience. And now he is replaced. It just feels wrong.

I dont want Shaw replaced in the OT by any other Actor, as same as i dont wont Hayden replaced in the PT. Let the Actors stay where they belong.

VII should come up with something new.