main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The role of Force ghosts in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Barth, Nov 22, 2012.

1. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I'm kinda torn on this topic.....

On one hand, I think it could be cool with a well thought out plot to include a number of Force Ghosts like Anakin, Obi, Yoda, and even going as far as Qui-Gon and/or Mace. This could be cool in that it might deliver a little more in terms of what GL promised us all about the PT in terms of answering questions about Jedi that disappear when they die. It's not that I didn't get the underlying things in the PT that add up to the "retaining ones self", but perhaps a more straight forward presentation of these things was expected. The biggest problem I have with this thought is Obi-Wan. I really liked Ewan as Obi in the PT, but I don't like that his likeness has kinda taken over as the face of Obi-Wan. If they did a Ghost Obi in the ST, I would hope they CGI Alec and perhaps have Ewan voice him.

I would love to see a scene where Anakin comes to Luke and says "We have a new enemy........"

One the other hand, I think a simpler use of Force Ghosts that is more in line with the mirroring themes that have been established would work better. This would be along the lines of Luke taking someone under his wing in Ep VII, and return to this "new generation" hero much like Obi-Wan did to him. My problem with this avenue is that I would be afraid that the lead in to such a storyline would be too disconnected from what we know already and not really continue the story forward, but rather feel like it was starting over.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    There should be Evil Force Ghosts so Luke can call the Forceghostbusters that way they can finally combine Ghostbusters 3 with SW VII.

3. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Force Ghosts in the ST scare me. The reason being, the main Force Ghost in the OT was Obi Wan. With Alec no longer with us, its going to be tough. I know we could use Ewan, but I think that would get confusing to the audience of noobs. Why is young OB1 made up and playing the Old Obi-Wan? I think its a bad idea.

What are the chances, do you think, of them using old stock footage of Alec from Episodes V&VI in VII-IX? I think it could work if you had him say only a few words and at least be a force ghost with Yoda.

I do think that there is a 99.9% chance that Yoda will be a force ghost throughout Episodes VII-IX, and probably beyond...

-C

4. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Just get some footage of Guinness playing Bensonmum from "Murder by Death" and CGI him in there as a ghost.

I just dread some Anakin ghost showing up and a theater full of people I can't stand calling for Lucas' head.

5. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I think they could very convincingly use a CGI Alec Obi-Wan, but I like the old footage idea if they have enough to work with.

Echo-07 likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I really like the idea of not a Ewan McGreggor Force Ghost but a McGreggor Obi-Wan hologram, recorded in his solitude on Tatooine, imparting important information about the ST plot. That would be great. Force Ghost, not so much.

To be honest, Force Ghost Heaven can get a bit cluttered if we start to see Obi-Wan, Anakin, Yoda (already saw them group-hugging at the end of ROTJ) constantly popping up. Throw in Qui-Gon and then you might as well toss in Mace Windu and that random Jedi that got popped by Jango Fett in the Battle of Geonosis.

The one that makes the most sense to me from a story-perspective is Anakin Force Ghost. that's it. Everyone else is gone.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    :D

8. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    MAKE IT SO.

9. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004

I like this idea A LOT, but i think we have some issues. Didnt Luke go back to Obi-Wans for awhile and build his lightsaber and train during ESB and ROTJ? They had those deleted scenes in the blueray release.

Unless you had the holograms taken by Luke to the new Jedi Temple on Yavin IV and play them for younglins??

:eek:

-C

10. RAZORBLADE

RAZORBLADE Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 13, 2013
    okay people remember that Qui Gon was speakin g to anakin during Ep II when he killed sand people, so Qui Gon probaly taught him. now my theory about force ghosts will see the movie's tell us about the whill's. the whills[my theory] were like the vulcans, in control of their emotions. they learned and mastered the force, including becoming one with the force. i believe that the new hero will be Han's son and that han will die in VII the hero will seek the means to become immortal and save the one's he loves, ala anakin, but unlike anakin he will learn to let go, because he knows that there is a life after the force

11. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I think Yoda appearing in force ghost form is quite probable. Luke was, after all, essentially, his Padawan and when Yoda died he did - erroneously, of course - say: "When gone am I, the last of the Jedi you will be." I'd be surprised if Yoda didn't make an appearance as a force ghost. I think it would be interesting to see Yoda advising Luke to the effect that he should learn from the mistakes that the old Jedi order made.

12. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Erm, correcting myself here, Yoda wasn't wrong. As far as he knew, Luke was the last of the Jedi. Of course, we might later learn that there were still Jedi alive, exiled and in hiding across the galaxy.

13. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    IF they are used, then only briefly....as a guide like OB1 was in the OT.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    No Obi-Wan Force Ghost. I can't see that working. Yoda is probable but I think Anakin would be the best one to use from an emotional / character perspective. On the flipside, Force Ghosts are basically just around to impart plot information even after they're dead ("You must go to the Dagobah system." or "Yeah, Darth Vader is really your father", etc.) Yoda seems more like the type to drop an afterlife exposition bomb (and an excuse to get more Yoda into it). Luke Force Ghost conversation with Anakin might get a bit awkward. "Remember that time you cut off my hand? What the hell was up with that?"

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Tough love.

Erroneously? He also said "pass on what you have learned", implying that he knows Luke will train others. But Luke will be the last for the time being.

16. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Remember also that Obi-Wan (in ANH) says "I was once a Jedi Knight, the same as your father". Perhaps Yoda simply doesn't consider any of the old order Jedi to be Jedi anymore, regardless of whether they are alive or not.

Yoda (and Obi-Wan) may well consider all of them failed Jedi, and Luke, if he passes the test, will be the only one who's 'proved his mettle'

17. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm really hoping to see the ghost of Anakin.

I know I'm a minority here, but I really enjoyed Hayden's portrayal of him in the PT, and I would like to see him pull off a wise ghost Anakin, possibly unable to pass over (They could mention that Yoda and Obi crossed into the spiritual realm) because of his evil as Darth Vader.

klooney likes this.
  18. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    That goes against the entire point of the ending of ROTJ, that Vader has been redeemed.

19. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Because saving his son and talking to him for 5 minutes makes up for murdering children, his wife, thousands of Jedi, destroying his daughter's planet, and 23 years of evil in general.

20. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    That's what the movie had to say on the subject, yes.

Seagoat likes this.
  21. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I think Anakin ghost will make an appearance. I do not expect to see Yoda or Obi-Wan. Luke's ghost may be seen at the end of the trilogy when he dies.

22. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Luke will be a Force Ghost, himself from the word Go or shortly into Ep7. No one wants to see an old and experienced Jedi Master still needing to have his hand held by Force Ghosts Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin. There's no other narrative reason for those force ghosts to be there other than be guides. If Luke were to survive well through the ST, the question would arise "Why isn't Force Ghost ____ showing up or saying something helpful?" every passing minute Luke is in some major trouble...especially if the trouble is the very thing about to kill him.

There is a narrative need for a guide for the new Jedi, though, which Luke can serve as either alive or Force Ghost state. Much better as a Force Ghost or else that/those Jedi will never be able to graduate from their own coming-of-age arc.

23. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    I'd like to see a Ghost Yoda and Ghost Kenobi on the Jedi Council.

24. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    So Yoda, Kenobi, and Anakin are ghosts, which makes their characters available for some sort of return, and it would make sense. I see ghost Anakin coming to terms with Luke, or maybe we'll get to see the three of them communing together in the middle of space discussing the goings-on in the galaxy. Or maybe, as Anakin's ability to be a ghost may suggest, he and Sidious learned the secret to cheat death as they discussed in that one scene, and he returns to haunt the galaxy.

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I'd love to see some more Force Ghosty stuff. Perhaps lets not have there mystery completely solved, but I think they should play a vital role - by that I don't want them to be used as an excuse to squeeze old (dead) characters into the movies, but rather I feel that its an area that deserves some development and could be a virtual goldmine of plot/story/intellectual ideas. Plus, by somewhat exploring them it could take the Star Wars universe in an interesting new area.