main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - 5.14 - Eminence - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    I think Sam Witwer's voice makes up for Maul's unintimidating stature

Bo-Katan likes this.
  2. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I loved the brief glimpse of the Black Sun emblem on the ship on Tatooine.

3. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    This is the kinda episode I wish was a bit longer than 24 mintues, although I did enjoy it a lot..

I like the whole Maul, Savage, Deathwatch team up and cant way to see how this unfolds, all the backstabbing and plotting by all sides is what always out does the villains.

V-2 likes this.
  4. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    Completely agree... They were beyond worthless in every sense of the imagination. Complete non factors, why even have them hanging around...

My only real complaint is that Jabba had virtually no security on Tatoonie, a criminal player of the underworld of his caliber needs better security than the nonsense we saw in this episode. But like I stated in my other post, its probably due to time constraints on the show.. cant get it all in...

DavidIX likes this.
  5. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    To be fair has he even vaguely acted like there's some charismatic Jedi in there, in show?

6. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Jabba had enough clout/security to handle underworld scum, but not enough to deal with Death Watch & the Grim Twins. Maul was prepared to kill them all and Jabba is no fool...

pronker and rumblewagon like this.
  7. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Why don't they have Maul use lightning? If Dooku can use it, why not someone who was so strong in the Dark Side he could survive being cut into half?

8. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    You have to be physically taught how to use it. I doubt Sidious would want to teach Maul that. I'd be surprised if he was even taught how to defend against it. We know Savage wasn't.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  9. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    There's like no information on what it takes to use Force lightning that Lucas and Filoni can pretty much come up with any excuse they want. In the EU it seems like every Sith can do it, but maybe in Lucas' mind it's incredibly difficult to do and Maul hasn't mastered it yet. Or maybe he just was never taught (as Dooku says, a wise master doesn't reveal all their secrets at once). Or maybe Maul knows how but chose not to (he was trained to use a double bladed saber and thus wouldn't really be anticipated to have a free hand too often to make use of lightning), etc.

It'll probably never be addressed in TCW definitively. Maybe he'll use it, and it will prove that he knew how. But if he never uses it, we'll probably never know why not (unless the EU tries to come up with an explanation).

It doesn't make any sense to me, but the Darth Plagueis novel also mentions that to use it you have to have had it used against you at some point, or something like that, in which case maybe Maul has never been shocked by Force lightning before.

(That doesn't make any sense to me because someone had to have figured it out on their own, unless there's some kind of weird time loop paradox in which a Sith Lord went back in time and used it against one of the ancient Sith).

10. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    ^^ Good post.

And yeah, I wouldn't look much into the Plagueis novel. Lots of things in that make little sense at all.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thoroughly enjoyed the Plagueis novel but I didn't remember anything about Force lightning and having it used against you. I assumed what Fanboy did, that one has to be taught how to use it. And who have we seen use it in the films other than Palpatine and Dooku?

I wouldn't mind seeing the question answered about Dooku using lightning and Maul not using it.

12. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    There is no evidence that he doesn't know how to do it, but since he is a cyborg now, it's probably a smart idea for him not to.

13. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    "A Jedi sufficiently trained in the Force can produce a facsimile, but not true Sith lightning, which, unabated, not only has the capacity to incapacitate or kill, but to physically transform the victim. Force lightning requires strength of a sort only a Sith can command because we accept consequence and reject compassion. To do so requires a thirst for power that is not easily satisfied. The Force tries to resist the callings of ravenous spirits; therefore it must be broken and made a beast of burden. It must be made to answer to one's will. But the Force cannot be treated deferentially," he added as a few final tendrils sparked from his fingertips. "In order to summon and use lightning properly, you will someday have to be on the receiving end of its power, as a means of taking the energy inside yourself."​

14. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Sounds like a Sith lie. I don't remember anyone blasting Darth Bane with lightning before he learned to use it.

15. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    I agree. They pretty much waddled up to Maul like happy little piggies about to be fed.

I think if they rushed hard at him while snarling and squealing angrily, swinging their axes and chomping their jaws, it would really up their intimidation factor. They don't do this, so they look pathetic. Plus it doesn't help that they are canonically kinda dumb, while pigs in the 'real world' are like the 4th-5th smartest animal in the world.

pronker likes this.
  16. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    So I'm playing Battlefront II again. You ever noticed how, like, Maul is the playable hero for the CIS on Mustafar and Jabba's Palace?

Filoni you sly dog you.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, it looks like any decent mercenary army could take down Black Sun, Jabba and the rest of Hutt space.

I'd rather he didn't use lightning. Call it a personal choice. Vader, to my knowledge, has never used lightning.

Probably.

But I'm calling it an attempt at literary art on Luceno's part, compared to Karpyshyn's video game manual to Darth Bane.

V-2 and SithStarSlayer like this.
  18. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    Ha! Nice.

Sitara likes this.
  19. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    stepdaughter
    Even in the Bane comic that came years before there was nothing that pointed that either.

20. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    I was talking about that to someone yesterday, but about him at Coruscant with Windu.

21. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Maul eats lightning.jpg Maul TheDeathofMighella.jpg

22. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Cool.

I'm still calling it an attempt at art by Luceno.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  23. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    He couldn't because he'd risk electrocuting himself, he used it once in Splinter of the Minds eye but that was special cercimstances. Same applies with Maul as all of his lower body is mechanical

24. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Ok. I haven't gotten around to reading the Plagueis novel yet, but it sounds interesting enough to blow some cash on it. Luceno is usually pretty good though I don't like some of the plot points.

25. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Ha, this thread already has more replies than any other episode discussion thread this season, barring Revival.