main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "If You Seek His Monument, Look Around You" - The Man of Steel and Announced Sequel Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I "misspoke" earlier. The music is not from Gladiator. It's similar but not quite, but I can't say with 100% certainty that's Lisa Gerrard on the vocals.

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I believe Scott used her for the credits to Black Hawk Down in addition to Gladiator.

3. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, he did, but I don't think that piece is from Black Hawk Down either.

4. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
  5. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Oh, yes he does! (Repeat and continue argument ad infinitum. :p ) Of course, there have been several canonical representations of the character through the decades in the pages of DC Comics. But the version I grew up with, represented in JL Garcia-Lopez's iconic promo plates (as seen http://ilovecomiccovers.blogspot.com/2012/01/homage-justice-league-of-america-by.html]here[/url] and http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/SUPERBENITEZ/JoseLuisGarciaLopezSuperman.jpg]here[/url]) looks -- in terms of millimetric differences in facial features and body shape -- most like Henry Cavill.

Will he be as warm as Reeve, though? As friendly as Routh? As All-American as Kirk Alyn, as John Wayne-esque as George Reeves? I doubt these. Judging from the trailer the new Man doesn't smile. I consider this a problem.

Life likes this.
  6. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Yes, possibly the greatest graphic novel ever created. I have all the Dini/Ross DC oversize books and I adore them all, but Peace on Earth breaks my heart and makes me weep every time I read it. It's incredible. One year I bought like 15 of them and gave them out as Christmas presents. My family flipped through their copies, ooo-ing and aww-ing at the mind-bogglingly realistic Ross paintings, but I don't think one of them ever actually sat down and read the book. More's the pity, because it's a rare case where the script actually matches the power of the artwork.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Anyone who thinks Batman has more depth than Superman, or anyone who thinks Superman's a bit boring and too powerful to be interesting, needs to read Peace on Earth. Dini is one of my favourite writers out there, and some of his episodes of Batman:TAS have no business being as good as they are (Heart of Ice, anyone?). He normally does the Bat but for this story... He shows why Superman can't necessarily just bend the will of the planet to being good. Why when his example simply isn't enough, doing more isn't the answer.

I'll never do it justice, but if you liked Dini's writing for Batman, then you'd appreciate Peace on Earth.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Thank you so very much. [:D]

9. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    so lisa gerrard is down with the mane of stools!

Ender_Sai likes this.
  10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That trailer was just kinda meh. A bit slow and boring, really. I'll wait for reviews, but I'm 99% sure I'll be Redboxing this.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm really excited for this, but I hope Hans Zimmer's score can stand on it own like Williams's score did.

12. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    hans zimzum will just blast out the bass frequencies like he usually does and everyone's bowels will loosen and they will feel real good in the theater as they watch the movie. he will do what he is required to do.

Ender_Sai and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  13. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I like plenty of Zimmer's scores. Pirates of the Carribbean is one of my favorite. But the trailer music simply didn't work for me and it seemed to drag on too long. And as much as I like Zimmer, the Superman theme is as iconic as James Bond's theme. You hear that music and you know that it is Superman. And that's perhaps the only superhero film where that is true. It doesn't mean Zimmer can't produce a better score- he might. But I just didn't like the music choice for the trailer.

14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    It's just a trailer, full of filler music like the previous teaser which "borrowed" from the LOTR soundtracks. We still don't know what the actual, final score will sound like, do we?

Perhaps they will use the classic William's theme at some point, if only because it is so damn iconic that the filmmakers may feel compelled to do so if only to satisfy the audience's "need" for the theme. But maybe they won't. William's theme has not been the sole Superman theme throughout history and maybe they want this film to stand apart from the Donner films in all conceivable ways. When Warner relaunched the Batman franchise with Batman Begins they didn't use any of the previous themes. And they were right in doing so since they wanted this new Batman film to have a new, unique voice. Same thing will probably happen 5 or 10 years from now when that franchise is inevitably rebooted.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Since Superman has a beard in the earlier scenes (I'm assuming they're the earlier scenes in the movie) will we finally get a scene where he tries desperately to shave off the beard? It should be the main conflict of the movie.

16. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Three words and a maths symbol: Heat vision + mirror. :D

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  18. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    That's stupid. Batman, with all the odds against him, would still win against Superman. Why? Because HE'S BATMAN!

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Obviously, Bruce anticipated Clark's burst of violence and confronted him with a meaty decoy.

Darth_Invidious and VadersLaMent like this.
  20. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm ok with this.

22. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
  23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It won't. There's simply no way it can be better than the original Superman score.

24. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Could work. I wonder if they decided this since Chloe made such a good human pal for Superman on Smallville.

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I don't have too much of a problem with this (it's not like they're say, making Lex Luthor female), but if they wanted a Chloe type for a pal for Clark/Superman, why not just, say, bring Chloe into the move? I mean they've already introduced her in the comics.