main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New EU reader looking for direction.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Miller3P, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miller3P

Miller3P Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2013
    So. Yeah. Hello.

I'm going to try to keep this post short and sweet while briefly explaining my history and also my current problem that I'm looking for help with.

Lifelong SW fan. My first introduction to the EU was SWKOTOR 1&2. After that, I have always been pretty enthralled with what existed in the EU without any further reading.

My favorite installment of the SW universe was and still is the Clone Wars micro series. There's something about the micro series where the emphasis is put on the Jedi's connection with the force is shown in greater detail than any other portrayal on any screen. (The best example off the top of my head is Windu on Degobah).

After almost 10 years since I started logging hundreds of hours on KOTOR I read SW:ToR Revan as my first EU novel.

After finishing Revan I started to go back to the roots, if you will.

I've read Splinter in the Minds Eye and I'm currently about to start the third book of the Thrawn Trillogy.

Now. Enough of the history and on to my cry for help.

As I rapidly approach the end of the Thrawn Trilogy I find myself looking for direction.

I like following the Skywalker family and I want recommendations on the best series to read next. I want to try to stay in as natural progression as possible. The Thrawn books were published in te early 90s, I don't feel like I should be jumping to 2005 and back to 1997 ect.

What's the next reasonable step for me?!

Thank you,
    Mike

2. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    So you want to read books. Do you also want to read comics?
    For books, there are some novels series about the New Jedi Order. If you want to find out about the Skywalkers, there you go. Check out starwars.wikia.com for more specifics. I don't really like this period so I can't give great details.
    After that, the latest generation of Skywalker is in the comic series Star Wars: Legacy.
    Another Legacy about a Solo kid is coming out soon, too.

3. Miller3P

Miller3P Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2013
    Its late for me and I'm bad at putting my thoughts into written word.

I want to read novels.

And I've spent almost as much time on wookiepedia as I have with KoToR. The Wook is part of the driving force behind me wanting to read as much as I can.

I know a lot about what happens after the Edor battle, but I want to read about it. I want to read about Luke and Leah's kids. How they grow up, how the new Jedi order develops. How Jacen falls. How Luke falls, for that matter.

The Wook has the novels both In chronological order and order released, but neither list provides a list of recommended reading. And neither do the 5 books I have right now and I want to follow the timeline I'm following right now.

4. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Truce at Bakura starts 24 hours after the Battle of Yavin. ;) Then The Courtship of Princess Leia explains how they got married etc. Then onto the Thrawn Trilogy and then the Jedi Academy Trilogy before you start looking at New Jedi Order at all ;)

Zeta1127 and Robimus like this.
  5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't you mean Endor, not Yavin, Addie?

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Junior Jedi Knights & Young Jedi Knights books focus most on the kids- may be a good choice after the rest of the "must read" Bantam books have been read but before starting the New Jedi Order.

Luke "falls" (or rather, is pushed) in comics rather than books- Dark Empire I, Dark Empire II, Empire's End.

7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I think your must reads to get up to the NJO Skywalkers and main plots are:

The Courtship of Princess Leia
    Thrawn Trilogy
    Jedi Academy Trilogy
    Darksaber
    The Corellian Trilogy
    The Hand of Thrawn Duology

A lot of the stuff I left out is excellent, like the X-Wing series and I, Jedi - but those books don't really do a lot for the main narrative of the overall story. What I've listed I think introduces most of the main characters and plots one would need to know to get into NJO.

8. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003

Yes, yes I did....sorry mate. It's been a long day and my brain is not keeping up with my body right now!

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    A plot thread from Children of the Jedi is picked up in the Enemy Lines duology (book 2) as is one from the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy (in book 1 of the Force Heretic trilogy). Still, those are fairly minor.

10. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007

There are lots of small plot points like that. Numerous characters from the Young Jedi Knights series get mentioned as well. Some comic book stuff ties in too(like Crimson Empire). I'm just trying to figure out how one could cover the main stuff without reading everything.

11. MaeveSkywalker

MaeveSkywalker Jedi Master star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    Can anyone give a total list of the EU booklist please?

12. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.