main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Poll: Would You See the ST if Luke, Leia and Han were Recast

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bazinga'd , Jan 14, 2013.

?

Would you go see the ST if Luke, Leia and Han were recast?

1. Yes

52.6%
  2. No

25.6%
  3. Depends on Who was Chosen to Play the Big Three

21.8%
  1. Unchosen One

Unchosen One Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2012
    I frankly agree with Lee_ that the ST could be good, even great, without the "Big 3" cast. To be perfectly honest with you, when it was first announced that Disney was buying Lucasfilm and that Episode VII would be made, my natural assumption was that they'd be getting all new actors to play Han, Luke, and Leia.... well, except for maybe Harrison Ford since he's still in movies recently.

I think it's much too big of an assumption on the part of the Star Wars community as a whole that this logic even works:
    Episode VII + Big 3 = Great new Star Wars epic
    Episode VII + different actors = Disgraceful attempt at a Star Wars knockoff​

Echo-07, Chels and Lee_ like this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It's a freakin new Star Wars movie, I'm obviously seeing it opening night. I'd be rather bummed if they recast the main trio, though.

3. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    First off I have said since the beginning in this thread that I would openly go see the first film if there was a recast, but the chances of seeing the next two would be based on if my expectations are exceeded by episode VII. I have never not admitted that, so there is no point in acting as though you caught me in some big scandal.

You also are changing your wording. You implied that you believed everyone on here saying they would not see this movie really would. All I was saying is that you have no way to prove that unless you can see the future. It just seems pointless to me for you to assume everyone else would be like you would in the end.

Again, some people enjoyed these films because of the actors who played these characters. They put all the time and money in because of those elements. Remove those, and yes that will affect some people. I'm not saying there will be a mass exodus of Star Wars fans, but it seems ignorant and arrogant to tell people on here who say they will not see it that they are simply exaggerating, and obviously don't care about the issue as much as they say they do.

Doesn't bother me in the least if a recast doesn't bother you, but it does seem foolish to belittle those who disagree with you on it.

4. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I wouldn't like it but I would still see it. When they first introduce Luke, Han, and Leia and it's not Hamill, Ford, and Fisher it wouldn't feel right. It would take me a few times of watching Episode VII to get use to it.

5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Dude, I don't know how you can miss the point in such a HUGE way; you are taking this way too personally.

I never said anything about you or anyone else seeing anything but Episode 7, that is all we were talking about, and you DID say you would go see it. I don't know how the other movies got into this discussion. "Scandal"? What in the world are you talking about? All I said was that you confirmed my point, you are wildly exaggerating things. Settle down.

No, I am not changing my wording, you are again wildly distorting my wording; I think I know what I was implying. I never said EVERYONE on here would go; but the logical conclusion is that the vast majority would. What I was saying was that based on the evidence at hand, more people would go than are admitting it. It's not merely an assumption, it is induction based on the situation. It isn't any more pointless than your opinion, which is also only an opinion.

Yes, many people liked the actors, no, the actors aren't the ONLY reason; SW was great for quite a number of reasons, and could still be great without the main actors.

The simple fact is, those such as yourself who are so hugely dedicated to the original actors are a drop in the bucket in terms of the millions worldwide that will go see SW. Most people just want to be entertained with a good movie, and/or a good SW story.

Your last sentence is just HILARIOUS. Are you a teenager? How many times did I say in this thread in different posts that it WOULD bother me if they recasted? Look again. Are you so emotional about this subject you can't even read and comprehend the obvious? I am not belittling anyone, I am only saying most people would go see the movie anyway, and it could WELL be a good movie. Settle down, try to read and comprehend. I mostly agree with you, you just can't stand it that someone could imply ANYTHING good about a recast.

Have a beer.

Unchosen One likes this.
  6. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Here's the thing, we're talking about Episodes 7, 8, and 9 right. The ones based on Lucas' treatments, drafts, notes, or whatever material Lucas had on the ST. From the times when Lucas was still serious about the ST still happening, my understanding of it was:

- after the OT, GL wanted to work on the PT next, but also wanted to wait until the SFX technology was advanced enough to match his vision

- then after the time the PT was done, he would work on the OT, with an older Mark Hamill to teach the next gen.

If Lucas had wanted the ST to be not so far in the future, where the main actors were still younger, he had plenty of time to fit a trilogy between 1983-1999.

So if they're still going off Lucas' treatments, then they would not recast younger actors to fit the roles of the "Thrawn & Dark Empire" time periods. The characters would be close to the age of the actors now. So recasting the actors we know and love, with other older actors is insane!

I would most likely support any SW project that don't have the episode numbers 7, 8, 9, even if it meant a possible recast, or reboot. But 7-9 should tie to 1-6. If the classic characters are used, then so should their actors.

BTW, the one that said the EU doesn't use those actors, that's not entirely true. Novel covers and comics use those actors' likenesses.

7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Likenesses are not actors. They are drawings or at most photos. The point is people enjoy those stories without the actual actors.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Since Alec Guiness is 10x the actor of all 3 of them combined and I still saw the Phantom Menace, I don't think a recasting of Luke, Leia, and Han would wreck my lifestyle too much.

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    While that's true, the authors base their characterizations off of how the actors portrayed those characters. Plus, with the likenesses, it is strongly implied that we are meant to picture those actors while reading the story. We are supposed to make a connection to the same characters that we see on the screen (ie. Mark, Harrison and Carrie as Luke, Han and Leia).

10. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    I'm just glad that Star Wars movies are being made again. Shouldn't matter whether or not Luke/Han/Leia are in it or not...

Unchosen One likes this.
  11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Now that we JJ Abrams has been Chosen, does this change anyone's view on the matter?

12. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    The issue isn't Luke/Han/Leia not being in the movie(though I'd like them there, I'd still see it if they weren't). If the characters are in 7-9, then the issue is what if they were recast to new actors instead of Mark/Harrison/Carrie.

13. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    Reluctantly, but yes. I would be a REALLY disgruntled moviegoer if they did that.

14. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    JJ has worked with Harrison Ford in the past, albeit, a long time ago. JJ also managed to get Leonard Nimoy to return as Spock in Star Trek. I don't see why he can't convince the big 3 to make a return for this trilogy. I think they're in. Wouldn't mind seeing Billy Dee as well.

15. More Kit Fisto Please

More Kit Fisto Please Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2013
    Perhaps the big three can be inserted as younger versions (or more mobil as was done with Christopher Lee's fight scenes) using CGI? Perhaps ILM is on it?

16. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Sure, I'd still see it. Honestly the whole project feels like a reboot even if it is Episode VII, so new actors stepping into the roles wouldn't be a roadblock.

17. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    My feelings are the same. I would go see it, but they would need to far exceed my expectations if they were to get me back to see the other films.

18. Unchosen One

Unchosen One Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2012
    I love the capitalization of the word "Chosen" ... as in "JJ is the Chosen One... train him..." [face_batting]

19. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I'm looking forward to the future re-re-remastered version of return of the jedi when an aged Hayden is digitally inserted in the unmasked vader scene..
    No really, recasting of characters happen. It just don't see why they would replace Mark with, say, Malcolm McDowell, Harrison with Christopher Walken and Carrie with Helen Mirren. But if the characters need to be younger, ok.

20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Indeed they do, I am not saying likenesses are meaningless (that IS a legit argument for having the OT actors back, just not an overwhelming one in itself, it would be one factor); but conversely other actors could portray these characters in a similar way IF they were talented actors, AND the makers pulled the movie off successfully all the way around. I think the counterpoint for the possibility of an entertaining movie without the Big 3 (in that that people enjoy these stories without the actors already in the EU) also stand firmly.

21. MaeveSkywalker

MaeveSkywalker Jedi Master star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    I agree. I don't think they'll recast. I believe the three will at least be in the first movie of the new trilogy then maybe they'll pass the torch, as it were, on to the next generation of Jedi, etc. etc.

Echo-07 likes this.