main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, this is potentially a huge loss to the comics community. :( I hope he manages to make a swift and full recovery.

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I was checking out PAD's twitter today and it's full of promising news about his recovery. He's been able to stand without assistance and spread and extend his fingers, both of which are major steps. He's also apparently written an entire scrpit already with speech recognition software. Good news all around!

3. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
    I am not familiar with his comic books but i hope for his speedy recovery.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Have to share this here:

You might like it too, tom

Darth-Lando likes this.
  5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Nice. The use of the 90's X-Men theme reminded me of this:

6. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Brilliant. IDW is killing me these days. Everything I read as a fan is from them. Their Americanized Dredd has been brilliant so far. I am amped for their Dredd Year One... with covers by Dave Sim! In the past 365 days, my number one top purchase was the Complete Brian Bolland. It not only has every dredd program Bolland ever illustrated, but covers, pinups, and even sketches of the characters done for fans and friends. God bless IDW. Fleetway gave me my first work and produced the single "hero" comics that inspired me to draw, but IDW is slaying it with their Dredd work, Rocketeer, TMNT, and well... everything.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Really? I had kind of written it off. [face_thinking]

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I may have to break my vow to only read Dredd as the Case Files come out stateside to read that arc, it sounds interesting and I'd totally join that club in the plot synopsis.

That said, my current obsession is with the Fantagraphics Carl Barks collections. It's kind of hard to put into words, but they're just fantastic comics, the presentation is top notch, and they use really, really good paper liek whoa. Apparently the next volume is going to cover 1948, so I'm pretty excited to check out some prototypical stuff, as opposed to the more polished "peak" material the first three volumes emphasized.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Agreed about the club Carl B collections. I had been scratching like an addict while they did their John Stanley collections of Melvin Monster and Lulu, which were fantastic in their design, so I was giddy when they started the CB series. Stanley means a lot to me, especially in terms of how he was so completely negatively affected by the Kefauver/Wertham impact on comics, even though he did some of the most edifying, simple comics on the market. His bitterness at the end was unrivaled. Fantagraphics does some of the coolest stuff. They seem to be able to find the most gifted scratchboard artists on the planet and get them to produce sequential art.

Yes, Daveeed, Ameri-Dredd has actually been mostly spot on. American writers' views on fascism may finally be approaching Europe's.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    2013 has been a goldmine for me from a fan perspective.

The very first week of the year, IDW unleashed this:
    [​IMG]

My wife bought me the MARVEL VISIONARIES: STEVE DITKO collection, I picked up the Ditko Doctor Strange statue, have read nearly 2 dozen of the best small press/indie books I have ever read in my life...

...and UPS just dropped off THIS:
    [​IMG]

12. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Oh, by the way, SOMEONE bought me a beautiful hardcover for Christmas.

You wouldn't have anything to do with that, right?

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    That hardcover was actually rather ghastly if you look at it. It is a Creepy anthology, afterall.

But, alas, I have no idea who or what you are prattling on about...

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I've just finished reading Slaine:The Horned God. I'd not really read a full Slaine story before, but being a fan of Bisley's painted work and having an interest in Celtic mythology, I figured it was about time I picked this one up. The art alone was worth the asking price (Bisley's use of colour is breathtaking in places), but the story was good too all in all, a good purchase.

15. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    ... Duh?

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  17. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm going to go out on a crazy limb here and say I'm fairly certain everyone who posts in here with any regularity is familiar with the illustrious and storied career of Dr. Wertham. :p

JoinTheSchwarz and Spider-Fan like this.
  19. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    no wonder I'm so sick and twisted:oops:

20. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Me too.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I have a first printing of SEDUCTION OF THE INNOCENT signed by nearly a dozen horror comic artists from that era. Jack Davis, Al Feldstein, etc. I prize that book dearly. But, as much as that particular subplot in the history of comics is possibly the one I am most a "historian" about, Wertham was not the real problem. It was Estes Kefauver. He politicized the effects of comic books, which gave a spotlight addict such as Wertham a platform for building notoriety. Was Wertham absolutely wrong in his "diagnoses" founded in his clinic in Harlem? Sure. But, he was merely an easily provoked opportunist swept up in a much larger agenda that was very much over his paygrade.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Or in other words:
    [​IMG]
    ****in' 50s sucked.

One of these days I really need to buy one of those CBLDF CCA stamp t-shirts.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I cannot recommend or esteem highly enough...
    [​IMG]

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Neat, I think I'll check that out as soon as I finish Men of Tomorrow.

25. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008