main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Benedict Pumpkinpatch to play Julian Assange in film

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 23, 2013.

1. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    yeah those are some good examples to the contrary, actually. here's one that isn't: christian bale!

2. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Idris Elba does a damn good job, but by all accounts Dominic West's accent is fairly poor.

3. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    That's my point. We can all keep finding examples to support either side, or we can just agree the generalization was nonsense.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    To add another example (even though he's Scottish): David Tennant.

5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    haha anthony lapaglia still gets work?

6. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    i thought i just did!

7. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    But with you everything's nonsense, so I couldn't tell!

8. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    i agree with you there, too!

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    OK, would it be fairer to say it's exponentially easier for Brits/Australians to do American accents than Americans to do British or ultimately, Australian, accents?

10. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Nope.

I'm betting you only think this is true because as an Aussie you couldn't tell a convincing American accent from a crappy one if your life depended on it. Also, I suspect you think you have a really convincing American accent, and that in reality its not very good at all.

Mar17swgirl and EmpireForever like this.
  11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Law, no. McGregor, yes, and it was at least passable. When he's playing a New Yorker he seems to use a bit of Woody Allen in the accent.

12. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    I don't know if I've ever heard him play a New Yorker? I do know that I cringed all the way through this trailer the first time I saw it:

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So what you're saying is, you're wrong in about 18 ways? Awesome. Thank you.

The last person I can recall to do a credible Aussie accent was Meryl Streep in like.. the 80s?

14. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    No one was talking about Aussie accents until you came in here and Aussied the thread up, go throw some shrimp on the barbie or something and let the adults talk.

15. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    i remember watching ewan mcgregor trying to american his voice in beginners and thinking "god, shut up ewan mcgregor" but then i just got used to it.

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i would probably pay money to watch dani and ender bicker all day. not very much money though.

Miana Kenobi and jp-30 like this.
  17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'd pay a nickel if it took place in a big tent and one of those old-timey carnival barker guys were in front.

jp-30 and tom like this.
  18. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Can I make that House quip again, and watch Juliet run around in circles?

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You have to be "this" tall to qualify as an adult, Dani.

Plus I believe the entire thread was started by a post discussing the Australian accent.

Nyer.

20. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    To be fair, I said "until you came in here" so I could have been talking about the JCC. Also to be fair I only read like a third of the posts in this thread because I couldn't stomach that picture of Rinkydink Curdlesnoot looking 80% more like an alien than usual long enough to read the first half of the thread... so from my view you brought up Australian accents OUT OF NOWHERE.

Anyway, the point stands that lol @ you for thinking everyone can pull off an American accent no problem.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I would have retorted only you firstly exceeded my expectations on creative ways to rename Cumberbatch ("Rinkydink Curdlesnoot" is a new personal favourite) then you noted he looks all kinds of messed up. So I offer you begrudging respect in return.

22. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Ender_Sai likes this.
  23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ender, I'm really hurt that you didn't tag me in the OP. What do you think my job is here if not to snipe at you about Benedict Cumberbatch?!

I saw this pic yesterday and was amused by all the chicks freaking out that he looks ugly. Have they seen Julian Assange? He's ugly. And Cumberbatch is already odd-looking, so the combination is basically what I expected. I'm really interested to see the take this film has. I'd heard about it a while ago and have never quite been able to pin down the spin they're going with. But I'm also really excited to hear all the fangirls complain about Cumberbatch having the audacity to not be handsome for them. lol

I'm also nervous to hear Cumberbatch's Australian accent. For all his many incredible acting talents, I've heard him attempt a couple accents that weren't his own and they always sounded dreadful. We'll see how that goes. Because otherwise, I'm sure he'll be incredibly good. But it kind of doesn't matter if you sound weird. I mean, weirder than a real Australian. Which is a difficult achievement.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Fiddlydee Ponkytonk! Blimpleswitch Wafflechops!

He is a massive ponce though. They are right.

25. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    oobichoo oobichoo! what a pance!

Ender_Sai and darthcaedus1138 like this.