main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i agree. he obviously was trying to toe poke the ball out from under him (successfully); he wasn't deliberately attacking the kid.

2. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    It was a clear red card. You simply can't kick out at a kid, even if it was to try and get the ball (which I doubt).

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    No intent to harm the ball boy. Only a desire to get the ball back. Idiotic to ruin a match because of it.

4. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Again, not entirely sure on that. If he was desperate to get the ball back, why not use his arms? Alright, the kid was a chubby bastard but I'm sure a grown man could get him to give him back a ball without trying to kick it from him.

5. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Because using his arms would essentially mean wrestling with the kid. That's not going to look very dignified, is it? Plus, given the relative positions of the kid, Hazard, his feet and the ball, a toe poke to try and dislodge the ball is the obvious option to take. To be sent off for inadvertently injuring (if indeed, the kid was hurt) a misbehaving ball boy is insane.

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    It's not like he went Cantona on him. WTF was that ball boy doing anyway.

7. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    He was obviously trying to remain a 'ball boy'. For without the ball he would merely be a boy.

Darth_Omega likes this.
  8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    So it seems the ideal Capital One Cup Final is happening. Both teams have performed very well this season and both would be worthy victors.

Whoever wins, the game wins.

Curious incident this ball-boy thing. Sure Hazard should not have kicked the ball while it was under him but why was the kid lying on it in the first place?
    I haven't watched the replay a lot of times, but Hazard didn't seem like he was trying to "poke" the ball with his foot. He was kicking it, and if someone is on the ball that is dangerous play.

Both parties were in the wrong, apparently a ball-boy was once sent-off by a referee for refusing to give the ball back

9. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Three match ban for Hazard and a fine for Swansea should do it.

10. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Looks like he was trying to get the ball to me: http://i.minus.com/ibcN3plDZj7bbS.gif

Putting it in terms of "kick out at a kid" sort of muffles the fact that we're talking about a 17 year old taking a slight tap from a 22 year old. It's not like it's a 25 year old beating up a 10 year old here. He even tweeted he was going to try and waste time before the game, which I find hilarious.

11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I would have kicked that kid too.

12. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    fixed

13. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
  14. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Fixed.

I have no problem with Hazard getting a red card. He just should have made the most of the situation and kicked the little **** harder.

George Roper likes this.
  15. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    Seems that he's the son of Swansea's largest shareholder and had been bragging on twitter before the game about the time-wasting that he would be doing during the game. Should ban him from attending the final.

16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Fun little result just happened in AFCON. Zambia got the equalizer on a soft penalty against Nigeria. The fun part is that the spot kick was taken and converted by Mweene - the Keeper for Zambia.

halibut likes this.
  17. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    ESPN commentators really need to learn the laws of the game. They are saying that the Chelsea goalkeeper could/should have been sent off for picking up a backpass and thus denying a goal-scoring opportunity.

Er, no.

Law 12

SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

A player is sent off and shown the red card if he commits any of the following seven offences:
    1. is guilty of serious foul play
    2. is guilty of violent conduct
    3. spits at an opponent or any other person
    4. denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
    5. denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick
    6. uses offensive or insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
    7. receives a second caution in the same match
    A player who has been sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of play and the technical area.

18. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    And at half time, they are still spouting that he could have been sent off. You'd have thought that someone would have looked it up rather than let them stand there looking stupid.

And LOL @ Chelsea. Brentford deservedly winning.

19. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    lol @ Liverlol

20. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    LOL @ Spurs as well. Excellent day for the FA Cup

21. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm less inclined to lol @ Spurs as they were beaten by Dirty Leeds

I'll offer a mild chortle instead

22. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    Shame Rafa didn't lose.

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    United and City both get easy draws at home. Likewise Arsenal. Everton meanwhile, get a tie at the conquerors of Liverpool. A tough one, surely? ;)

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Good round for the lower teams, nice to see both domestic cups throwing up suprises this season. The magic still remains

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Looks like Balotelli might be off to Milan. Good riddance to the overrated lout.