main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Should there be an MMO set during the sequel trilogy?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jan 24, 2013.

?

Guess what the question is...

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    With the Old Republic going Free-to-Play and the sequel trilooogy coming 2015 should there be another MMO set in the time of the sequel trilogy.

2. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    No offense, but why do people always want MMOs?
    I am looking forward to 1313. Apart from that, I would love to see new SW games being produced. They can be set during the ST.
    But please, no MMO. We already had Galaxies and TOR.
    I would love it if they created a game like KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2, only bigger.
    Another thing I would love to see is a SW game that features a co-op mode.

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'll pass on MMOs for any era.

4. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    The only MMOG I want is one on the 360. I like them because the worlds seem actually alive with all the players running around rather than just having NPCs doing nothing. I think that most MMOGs are now going free to play is a sign that there's just little market for them these days. The only one that seems to be doing ok is WoW.
    I agree about KotOR 1 and 2 though. They were great games and another game in the same era would be great. What about a Knights of the New Republic? Something like KotOR but set during or after the Legacy comics.
    I'm not sure about co-op. I have several games that I've got all but one achievement for because the last achievement is for playing co-op and I have no one to play with. It can be fun, but I'd rather play campaigns solo.

General Immodet likes this.
  5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    No because I don't want an MMO.

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That's a pretty even poll!

7. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I'd be okay with it if they did, as the TOR lore still annoys me (What? That whole Empire/look of all tech/everything? Yeah, they copied all that from a few thousand years before the movies!) They could probably do a better F2P model (one that entices people to pay, rather than treating it like a demo and holding back regular game play features.)

A solid B2P game with the new setting could do well.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, because giving console kids a whole world to be petulant, sexist, racist idiots in is a great idea.

TOR was WoW with better storytelling mechanics. As a point of differentiation it made for an excellent single player adventure but felt like WOW in other respects, esp. the questing and grind. MMOs need to launch the next style of play - and putting it on a console is a laughably bad suggesting by someone I'd bet hasn't played an MMO.

9. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I played a lot of Guild Wars, and I play Guild Wars 2. I played Lineage 2 for a while too, but only played because I played with a friend and we had a falling out. I used to play ROSE Online and Tantra before they went pay to play. So yeah, I've played MMORPGs. My reasons for wanting one on the 360 is because that's what I do most of my gaming on these days. MMORPGs have been done on consoles too. Phantasy Star Online came out on the Sega Dreamcast. Not only that but Final Fantasy XI and EverQuest Online Adventures came out on the PlayStation 2. Oh, and Final Fantasy XIV is coming out on the PS3 too, so it's not like it hasn't been done and won't ever be done.

Yes, there are idiots on consoles, but there are also idiots on PCs too, so it's not unique to consoles. I don't think it'd be a problem in an MMORPG either. If three console MMORPGs can be run without problem on consoles then it makes sense that others can too. Square Enix must also think so because they wouldn't be publishing FFXIV on the PS3.

So, in summery: I have played MMORPGs, MMORPGs have been done on consoles with another coming out soon, and PC players can be just as obnoxious as the minority of console players who give the rest of us a bad name.

10. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
  11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Why would you want terrible graphics in an MMO?

TOR looked gorgeous, but so did WoW on launch.

PCs can do things with graphics consoles can't, so you're basically just having a less polished final product.

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Console games these days look just as good as PC games. They might not be able to match the very highest spec PCs but they're still very good graphically.

13. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    To be fair, most PC games are console ports. If you develop a PC only game, and use the PC specs a 100% i can guaranty that it will blow the console away. Take a look at Star Citizen which is still in pre alpha but already has so beutifull graphics. The Witcher 2 aswell, and that was a game that was really well done on console. But if you look at the xbox 360 specs, they are nowhere near a deacent gaming rig.

Im not saying console graphics looks bad, i have alot of consoles and have been a console player since i was 5 :/ Im actually suprised how good they can make it look with the hardware they have. But many people think that because games like for example Dishonered looks almost identical on PC and Console, it must mean that they are equally good. And not thinking that it was just a Console port to PC.

14. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    I voted No. I like the idea of MMO's, however they just seem crazily lacking in so many departments. If you take TOR as an example, I love the main stories, and questing is fun, however the downfalls of graphics, repetitiveness, server issues, the online factor etc bring it down. Personally, instead of SWTOR, I think they should have done something more KOTOR like, single player in a huge open world with heaps of story based decisions and RPG elements. Something like a star wars themed cross between Skyrim and GTAIV (for it's scale and detail), and lots of character customization.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I rather have an RPG version