main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Lovely old WEG illustrations

Discussion in 'Literature' started by cthugha, Jan 20, 2013.

1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    The last time I played TIE Fighter, my brother and I had this weird co-op system going, in which we each manned a set of controls. He piloted and shot things, while I handled the shields and other technical stuff. We both like the TIE Fighter version of Thrawn more than his novel counterpart. He just sat there, told you to go off to some system and die, and then he'd laugh about it.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Oh dear god I remember Land Before Time...

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Some of the best stuff in TIE Fighter is when you fail missions, actually. Elliot had a flair for the dramatic. He'd be all "you would have been better off if you had died in the cockpit than returning after this failure" or "the Empire is going to collapse because of your failure!!"

One of my favorites was the 2nd or 3rd TIE Bomber simulator mission -- if you blew up your own command ship (a corvette), the ISD Punisher arrived to kill you. And then if you shot at it, you heard Darth Vader's voice over the comm "You should never attack Imperial vessals.. The first time I heard that, it scared the ever loving **** out of me. And then if you still managed to destroy the ISD, then Elliot would reply, somewhat bitterly, "You're a great pilot.... traitor!"

4. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I never did play all the way through TIE Fighter.... X-Wing was my thing. I need to dig out the CDs for the Enhanced Edition... because I want to play those again. Does Windows 7 play them?

5. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Mike has expressed interest in returning to the Star Wars universe...he only need be asked! :)

Mike Vilardi has a DeviantArt page, with some of his old stuff scanned in. Explains his process behind many of his WEG illustrations.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Awesome link, Mazzic! Will have to take a look at it after class.

....yes. Sort of. Do you have x86 or x64? If the former, no problems (in order for the CD audio to work, the disc drive you use must have the highest drive letter of all your disc drives) .If the latter, you'll need to download a third party installation tool and burn a copy of your own disc with that tool included in order for it to properly install and then use your original discs as the play discs since the original installer is 16-bit.

Now, if you have the old DOS version then you can run it on DOSbox and get the far superior midi music. You can use General MIDI for X-wing and Gravis Ultrasound for TIE (provided you can acquire the proper soundfonts) and get glooooorious adaptive music sequences.

I find the enhanced Windows editions completely unplayable because the CD music is static and sucks.

That's why I recently started playing the TIE Fighter Total Conversion for XWA. It has iMuse music, it has gorgeous XWAUpgrade craft compatibility, and it's just a blast. The balancing is kind of a problem: some missions have you and a handful of bombers aimed at a capital ship, but XWA AI is smart enough to shoot down missiles, making such missions MUCH harder. I also can't get the voice audio working (you need the original TIE discs to install the mod).

Jedi Merkurian and Dawud786 like this.
  8. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Thought the exact same thing.

Somebody get on a Lawrence of Arabia-Star Wars mashup immediately, please.

For my sanity.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Poor guy died in a swoop accident. :(

edit: Also if this happens, make it not Tatooine.

Gorefiend likes this.
  10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Those are some great pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They are great at capturing a sense of adventure, wonder, and good humor in a nice science fiction way....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...as well as Star Wars' more fantastic and mystical elements.

[​IMG]
    You have to appreciate the hammy villains....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ....Though sometimes it is the more mundane aspects of Imperial rule that get to you.

[​IMG]
    Always nice seeing Stormtroopers being badass.

[​IMG]
    Nice alien designs here....and is that an Aqualish member of the Imperial Army?

[​IMG]
    Not actually Star Wars, but this should happen to a jedi.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    See? What anti-alien bias? Clearly propaganda!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I need to acquire some of this special "dot paper" that he uses...

...and start up a new dA.

13. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Generic Blast helmet and armor

14. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Thanks for the all of the posts and scans, everyone. This thread is very nostalgic for me, since I remember reading several of the West End Games SW Sourcebooks back in the day. This company went a long way towards making SW visible in the public eye during the "Dark years" (from the 'mid-'late '80's - early-mid '90's) when very little new material was coming out.

My two favorites books were the "Han Solo and the Corporate Sector" Sourcebook (based on the superb Han Solo novels by Brian Daley), as well as the Imperial sourcebook. Great stuff, and nice examples of early EU as well.

I also remember WEG produced a lot of nice die-cast metal SW figurines during this time.

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I bought a box of those die-cast figures at CVI. Decent price for them, too. The booth didn't have the campaign book for the figures, though.

16. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    He killed his guard and took the equipment ;) (he was in prison for killing another 21 troopers and some 43 civilians)
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unda_Lagor

17. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    [​IMG]
    Impossible! No one can kill an Imperial Army Trooper!

....You know, I was worried that I would annoy people by making a post that long, but it has to be my second most liked post on the forums.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Um.

LOOK IT'S CAL OMAS!!!

*runs away*

MercenaryAce likes this.
  19. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Jello....you aren't taking the opportunity to point out the New Republic accepted a psychopath like that into their service? Granted he lied about why he was imprisoned and apparently was very worried about thrown out the airlock if discovered, but that doesn't seem like the kind of fact you normally care about.

20. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Gah, I had forgotten about these gems from the Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--Adm. Nick

21. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Great signatures. Ackbar's is like a superhero symbol, Verrinnefra B'thog Indriummsegh's is like a banner (wonder what Thrawn could make out of it) and Fey'lya just rolls.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I've always liked that page. While Leia Organa has an elegant script (doubtless taught to her by her royal tutors), Mon Mothma has the jagged scrawl of a serial killer.

Quiet_Mandalorian likes this.
  23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    It's actually very much in the style of Woodrow Wilson:

[​IMG]

Minus the little florish at the end.

--Adm. Nick

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    uweryhqewrhkdad

Nick, do you think that helps?!!?!?!

I loathe that racist, meddling, ninny :p

25. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Serial killer, Woodrow Wilson... same difference :p