main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Women in combat: US Ban to be lifted

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Naturally. You could just rape and pillage and hope for the rest in terms of hitting the AO, but nooooo... you're all "let's just sick to the MSR".

2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    As an European this is one of those points where I look at USA and say "You mean you don't already have this? Shouldn't you be the greatest country ever or something?"

I just finished my six months of "mandatory" military training (you can choose to do civil service instead, but that takes 12 months), and I must say that the women there are generally much better at it. That's of course because it's mandatory for men (because of the big neighbor country we do not name), but women can volunteer if they want, and those who do are really motivated. So when I lobbed myself to be an office worker, all the women I knew there went into leadership training.

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    General warning to stop with the personal attacks.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

No.

Lugija -- yeah that's the thing. I haven't read the current proposals, but as things stood last summer, the idea was to open combat on a voluntary basis. Therefore, the women involved would presumably be kinda driven to do it. I doubt there can be any legitimate concern about their ability to handle it. They want it.

5. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Although I am all for equality, some how, some way I think integrated troops in some instances could lose their focus, it is the nature of the male & female dynamic.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I agree. Women are so distractable compared to men. But, I cannot wait to see combat footage of our barefoot, pregnant womens choke slamming Iranians in the streets of Tehran.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Panetta makes it offical and lifts ban.

"They serve, they’re wounded, and they die right next to each other. The time has come to recognize that reality.”

That about sums it up.

Of course the other side has decided to go for the 'distraction' argument again. Funny, everytime that argument is used to exclude one group or another, it tends to end up being a losing argument.

ShaneP and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, totally. i mean if most workplaces weren't segregated based on gender then no one would ever get any work done. oh wait, almost none are? yet society continues to function?

[​IMG]
    inconceivable!

9. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    That's not cool, man. Everyone knows it's a government conspiracy, no one really believes integrated workplaces work. We just keep perpetuating a lie like we're supposed to. It's the new whirrled order, man!

In all seriousness, it's about time. I think the whole idea behind 'no women in combat' is more about masculinity being challenged. Isn't what Blue_Jedi posted basically the same reasoning for keeping DADT? So, we've went from, 'I don't want no queers serving with me.' To, 'I don't want no breasts near me.' Charming.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Somehow I think being in a life-or-death situation would keep men from being ruled by their ****s.

But maybe not.

And Vivec, I thought of that thread while on the first page of this one.

11. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    If a soldier is distracted by being in combat with a member of the opposite sex, then that soldier is not mature enough to be in combat.

12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    If I was in combat, a woman next to me wouldn't be a distraction. My goal would be avoiding getting my *** shot off.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Can we also ask anyone with an attitude that predates 1950, regarding gender equality, refrain from posting and instead seek rudimentary education?

14. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    This point would only have any semblance of validity if there was a real threat that the majority of women will now flock in masses to the army with the intent to fight in the frontlines and risk getting killed. That could, hypothetically, threaten the society's survival/positive demographics in the long term. But somehow I don't think that's (or ever will be) the case.

Plus, there's a huge difference between "putting women on the frontlines" and "allowing women to fight in the frontlines". No one will be forcing them - if a woman herself chooses to fight in the frontline, and she she meets the requirements for the job, why should she be stopped?

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Since we're on that tack, how do you feel about blacks and whites serving alongside each other? How do you feel about the lifting of Don't Ask, Don't Tell?

16. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    [​IMG]

another of our glorious sisters in arms readies her rifle to eliminate another fascist who probably saw her as good for nothing more than procreation

citizen, worker, academic, and soldier. truly the soviet union was ahead of its time in allowing women to "be all they can be"

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's just a pity they were backwards in almost every other respect.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  18. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    you got a "like" from mar17swgirl for that cheap nonsense. i hope you're proud of yourself

19. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012

I never said women SHOULDNT be allowed, what I said was I don't think they should have to fight wars... Personally I don't like the idea, that's my opinion. If anyone wants to sign up let them, but I can still think its not a good idea.

I don't give a single **** if no one in this thread agrees with me, but a nations army using women to kill is a step backwards for humanity... In no way shape or form would a rising number of women in the military have long term benefits on a society. If anything id bet the farm if the numbers of women in the military rose, wed see negative social impacts from it.

Ramza Edit: Please Star Out the Whole Word

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Women are for making babies, not killing them. And baking pie. And sex.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Are we really concerned about "backwardness" RE: warfare, which is probably one of the most "backward" things humanity commonly engages in and accepts?

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You forgot making sammiches and bringing beer to men while they're watching ball games.

TrakNar and Ender_Sai like this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I was making it interactive and simply starting the list. Keep at it, woman. Your work is not done.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I know you're playing to type here, but come on. It was a wretched country and still is. Graft is the national currency, followed by authoritarian ineptitude.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Like women or the negro voting?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.