main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Who do you want to direct Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. Digladio

Digladio Jedi Master star 3

Jan 7, 2003
    Kathleen Kennedy pretty much confirmed that the director is going to be "fresh, young, and a visionary" on her twitter.

2. budspencer

budspencer Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    and that would be my queue! I ll direct the movie for absolutely no money! just as long as you provide me with an onsite trailer full of slave leia's every night. I ll make your trilogy and it will kick a$$

3. budspencer

budspencer Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    Joe Johnston....its gonna stay in the family!

4. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    Joe Johnston? I dont want him for the Trilogie. Maybe he get his Boba Fett Film that he ever wanted to do.

5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I really have my doubts that that's her.

6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Ron Howard will ALWAYS Richie Cunningham, PERIOD. NO WAY would they give him SW.

What is he going to do, cast Henry Winkler as a Jedi? LOL

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ugh please not Ron Howard. That guy is the Prince of Bland. I liked A Beautiful Mind and Dr. Seuss's How the Grinch Stole Christmas, but I always have trouble slogging through his other films. Maybe if he has a good screenwriter and composer but I don't know.

8. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I'm convinced a droid is directing and that's why there is no need for an announcement. But beyond that at this point I'd still be a little surprised if it's not Matthew Vaughn.

Echo-07 likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It's going to be Lucas because Lucas sold Lucasfilm before Dec 21, 2012 because he thought the world was gonna blow up. But a part of him didn't so he sold it as a back-up plan. Now it didn't blow up, so he wants it back.

Echo-07 likes this.
  10. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
  11. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Anyone say Peter Jackson yet? ::ducks for cover::

12. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Personally, I think the director has already been picked, and was picked probably around late November/early December. They just haven't felt the necessity to tell the public yet.

Graphic likes this.
  13. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I'm sure deep within LFL is some programmer who's devised a self-directing, self-editing filmmaking package.

"This here film will direct ITSELF!"

14. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Peter Weir.

15. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I have a feeling it's going to be Duncan Jones.

16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Although it looks like Matthew Vaughn, and most of us would be happy with that, I've got a new name: Rian Johnson. I know he is relatively unproven (new), but I saw Looper last night, and was really impressed.

17. Crankcase

Crankcase Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2012
    Episode VII - Matthew Vaughn
    Episode VIII - Brad Bird
    Episode IX - J. J. Abrams
    Boba Fett movie - Joe Johnston
    Another stand alone movie - Guillermo del Toro
    Another stand alone movie - Zack Snyder

18. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    Andrew Dominik. Would love it to see his interpretation of Star Wars. Dark, Sinister and very deep into its Characters.

19. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    If the director wasn't picked a while back, I'm going to revert to an old habit of biting my nails. Seriously, if there's no director on board, who's supervising pre-production (which would certainly have to be well underway at this point)? I really don't see Kathleen Kennedy breaking out the stamp to approve production designs.

20. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Thats easy, Lucas. But, I'm not sure if pre-production is underway yet, that kinda really gets moving once casting starts. I don't think they are that far along at this point. Script probably is still in rewrites.

21. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/david-fincher-eyeing-publishing-sensation-gone-girl-at-fox/

"Fincher, who has been working on Disney’s20,000 Leagues Under The Sea: Captain Nemoand has been rumored heavily to helm one of these Star Wars movies at that studio..."

For Deadline to say this I think pretty much confirms he is in talks/in the mix. I do think it's interesting that both Nolan and Fincher have picked new projects in the last two weeks while Spielberg dropped out of his. Unfortunately it's probably going to be Matthew Vaughn, but I guess it makes some sense if they have a Jedi first class type movie in mind.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Fincher would be good if the rest of the SW community would be willing to watch a darker trilogy (if Fincher brought his style/directed the whole trilogy).

23. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I said it a while ago I think Fincher would be great. It'd be slightly outside the box, which I'd give kudos to Disney for, BUT I also don't think Fincher would film a "dark movie" as everyone fears he would. He's extremely talented and would adapt his style to that fo Star Wars -- he did work on ROTJ after all. That said, I still don't think he gets the nod for Ep 7.

However, here's a name that I have yet to see mentioned associated with Ep7:

http://www.starwars7news.com/2013/01/ron-howard-your-next-frontrunner-for.html#more

My opinions are that if you want a safe, conventional film then he's as good a choice as any.

Honestly my rankings would go as follows:

1- Fincher = would be the best director talent out there. I'd take him over almost any other director, all things being equal.
    2- Vaughn = would probably be the best choice and I say this based on Stardust alone. Those that were trumpeting that fine film were 100% right. I'd be very excited about MV.
    3- Favreau = very under-rated IMO. Knows SW. Would get it right, but probably a safe choice.
    4- Ron Howard and some others = would fit into a category IMO of being safe, conventional choices, IE Spielberg.

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I said it in another thread but please anyone but Ron Howard. He's the definition of bland and safe.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  25. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Agreed. Ron is bland.