main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The New Republic Wont Operate from Coruscant - How about Yavin or Naboo

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by clone3131, Jan 24, 2013.

1. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Hey yo!

Been thinking. While it is almost certain the New Republic will return and be a heavy backdrop for Episode VII, I am wondering what the motivation would be to return back to Coruscant as the headquarters for The New Republic?

To me, the New Republic would do just about everything they can to be separated away from the old Galactic Empire, or from the old republic for that matter.

What better way to do that then start it all up again - on a different planet? It makes sense to me. I think it would be a GREAT nod to the PT to do it on Naboo and have it housed in the Amidalla Senate Hall. Or you could even do it on Yavin IV, or I thought a nice nod would be Dantooine. Maybe even Bespin? Although thats in the Noad system, and there's not much there....

Thoughts?

-C

2. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    We'd be able to come up with satisfactory answers if we had any idea what the plot was.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Although Padme is vitally important to the Star Wars sage, from an in-universe prospective she is just one senator from one planet out of possibly billions of planets in the galaxy. To base the new galactic government on her home planet in honor of her seems a bit far-fetched to me. I think they should just stick with Coruscant for the galactic capital but that's just my opinion.

4. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    I always assumed Coruscant was located near the center of the galaxy, maybe I'm wrong though cause I don't remember anyone specifically saying it in the movies.

If Coruscant is at the center of the galaxy it would make sense to be the capital cause it would be more convenient as far as traveling for all the other systems.

Is there an official galaxy map?

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They should do it on a new planet like a pizza planet or a Christmas planet or something.

6. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004
    Hence, why this is a 'speculation thread' ;)

And I believe that Coruscant is in the Galaxy "Core", but i think when you can do lightspeed and travel great distances, being the center of the universe might not be that big of a deal.

Also, I agree that Padme was a queen/senator from 1 world, but she was vital in a lot of the old republics greatest decisions. Come to think of it, maybe thats a bad thing too. Especially since Palaptine was from Naboo also.

OK, scratch Naboo, but Yavin or Dantooine might work...

-C

KED12345 likes this.
  7. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Yavin? That would be like the United Nations putting their headquarters in Madagascar. Ditto with Dantooine, but that would be more like Mongolia.

8. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    There is - in Star Wars The Essential Atlas, which of course is also very heavily EU-based. Coruscant is indeed a Core World, although not technically the geographic center of the galaxy.

SithLord_1270 and TreborSabreon like this.
  9. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004
  10. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    Thanks, now I'm going to spend hours trying to memorize it. Rakata Prime and Csilla look so lonely, some much unexplored space in the unknown regions to the galactic west. So much potential for new storylines/worlds/species.

Corellia sounds good to me.

11. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    She was one of the founders of the Rebellion with Mon Mothma and Bail Organa. She was martyred by the Empire and in Clone Wars we see her stepping up as a very visible pacifist symbol through her speech on the holonet and her talks on Alderaan and Mandalore. She got a huge reception on Mandalore and is referred to as a 'big shot'. They need to do more with that and with her legacy as a whole. How many times to they need to try and assassinate her to prove she is very important in the senate.

12. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I'd love to see the capital world move to a different planet. That's a cool idea. It would be even cooler if we got to see Coruscant and it was completely derelict. A ghost planet except for a few scavengers and crooks.

Graphic and clone3131 like this.
  13. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004
    now thats an idea too! Have Coruscant just be a wasteland now. I like it.

-C

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Mon Calamari!

15. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    Coruscant as a wasteland is something I always aspired to see. I'd watch it in the PT and think "I wonder how it would look if there was mass chaos or destruction and getting to see the aftermath, etc" I think that'd be a thrilling concept.

16. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Any planet that would be acting as the center of galactic politics would have to have massive infrastructure and population on the scale of a Coruscant. So wouldn't any huge ecumenopolis used by a Galactic Republic... just be Coruscant by another name?

Count Yubnub and Game3525 like this.
  17. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    NO NABOO. NO NO NO. We will never get rid of the Gungans if the galaxy is ruled from Naboo. :p

18. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Take me to your online petition! Pizza Planet!!

19. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Having a new capital is a neat idea...that is, if there is a New Republic.

20. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I say leave it on Coruscant but if not then I have my vote in for Naboo. Beautiful planet and beautiful buildings seems like a great place for it to me.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Well, hell... if the Star Wars sage finds her to be vitally important, we of lesser intellect certainly cannot just dismiss her outright...

DarthHomer and Jedi_Matt like this.
  22. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    It *won't*? Darn it!

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah how do you know it won't? Are you one of them fortune tellers? What am I going to be doing this weekend?

24. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    There's no reason to move the government away from the planet-wide city. You don't move the galactic government to a planet with it's own agenda... In the U.S. that's why Washington D.C. was created. Coruscant is the Galactic version of D.C. It's not considered a member world of the republic, just a city within the republic. Thus Coruscant gets no representation themselves.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  25. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I understand why they would chose Coruscant as the capital, it has all the history and the necessary infrastructure, I'm sure Palpatine developed his capital fairly well.

On the other hand, as a personal preference, I would like to see another planet as capital. Overusing Coruscant would kinda make Episode VII the sequel to Episode III, not Episode VI.

It sure looks grand, but I don't think the leaders of the new Republic would choose Naboo. I mean okay, Amidala was from there, but the Emperor too!

Darth Chiznuk likes this.