main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Opinion on SWTOR?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by darthbarracuda, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    I've heard that many people love SWTOR and many people hate it.

What is good/bad about it? I've seen some gameplay and it seems like they re-use body movements a lot.

Should I get it?

2. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    Personally, I've stopped playing it, for a few reasons. I love the story-based parts, and love character customization, however:

(1) If you're not used to large MMO's, I find the grinding to be very repetetive
    (2) The graphics and gameplay aren't anything revolutionary IMO
    (3) I don't want to have to spend 400 hours playing through multiple storylines to try and get the full stories
    (4) Some non US servers are now having population issues, and going singleplayer is quite challenging at the moment

So I've taken to reading books, comics, and have just bought the SWTOR encyclopedia to fill me in on storylines and characters etc.

benknobi1 likes this.
  3. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    It's free to play now, just give it a shot and see for yourself.

I bought it when it came out, paid $60, and thought it was worth it.

4. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    I liked KOTOR I and II, but never tried SWTOR. Because I am a semi - perfectionist, 1. I don't have the time. 2. I really don't have the time:p

If you have the time and are curious darthbarracuda, I say give it a shot. I think there should also be a whole thread about this game or something in the computer games section if you have more questions.

5. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    if you like something

and it's free to play why not/

benknobi1 likes this.
  6. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    In response to what Minez said, SWTOR isn't a grind until you hit level 50 and want to get the high-level gear. And of course the graphics aren't going to be mind-bending when you consider it's got to support so many players at once.

Servers have been consolidated now so the population is much more dense.

I love the game, I'm not an OMGFanboy but I don't understand what there is to not like about it at the moment...

7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    There is a bunch of us that discuss SWTOR in Games Forum. I would recommend checking out that forum.

MasterOfEnlightenment likes this.
  8. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    IDK I've seen some of the gameplay and it looks cool but some of the story sounds like it should take place in like Skyrim or WoW or something. Like all those crazy "Sith Creatures"...I mean really? In Star Wars? And even if it's free to play, do you still have to buy the actual disk and game or what?

9. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I've just started, so far it's interesting enough. Ok character choices, ok things to buy. A lot more choice with p2p, but it's definitely entertaining for a free game.

You just download the game launcher from the website to get it.
    You need to make an account as well.

10. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    It's also a good 25GB to download. That's a lot of time to invest in setting up a free MMO, especially a "free" MMO that nickel and dimes you for stuff like freakin' ability bars, a move that I have never seen in an MMO before and is pretty darn disgraceful.

Up until November ToR was a P2P World of Warcraft clone that featured the same old grind you typically find in MMOs. Every mission was "kill a certain number of this kind of enemy" or "go here, kill this enemy and return special loot." Rinse and repeat for every planet you visit.

Planetside 2 is an MMOFPS that looks astounding and is completely free. And Guild Wars 2 beats ToR hands down with vast sprawling environments with moving setpieces and contains monsters the size of mountains. All that from a game that never was intended to reap a monthly fee, like ToR was doing up until November.

ToR was being built in a now dated engine and development started years ago. Because of this it's a pretty dated looking game compared to some of the competition.

darthbarracuda Take my advice as someone who is normally considered a bit of a Bioware apologist, don't bother with ToR. It's not terrible, but it's really dull and doesn't break many moulds outside of being a fully voiced MMO, which while a neat gimmick doesn't cover up the fact that it's the same MMO we've been getting for years. The "free" options just aren't worth the 25 GB download either. In my opinion if you want to play an MMO without paying a monthly fee your best bet is to pay the one time access fee to Guild Wars 2.

11. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    If you want grind look at Star Wars galaxies. That was horrible for grinding.

I never played wow so I can't compare it, my only previous mmo was galaxies.

12. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    Chewgumma Thank you very much for all the info. Have you played Galaxies? Was that any good? I heard that a lot of people hated it when it was shut down...

13. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I never played Galaxies, so unfortunately can't make a comparison. With that being said though, I don't think "This game isn't as grind heavy as the previous one" is a reasonable defence for a game that still has quite a lot of monotonous grinding.

14. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I've been playing it for about a month now, and its the best game I've ever played! I'm already level 50 and finished all of the class missions, so I can't do a lot now because there's never really anyone online that wants to do the flashpoint and heroic missions, but I'm looking forward to the update coming out with the new missions and level 55 cap.

15. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    Dont put words in my mouth, i said that (in my opinion) i didnt feel like there was a grind until 50 and you are trying to get the end game gear.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

16. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I wasn't putting words in anyone's mouth. I mentioned that ToR was a grind and you responded with this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.