main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Women in combat: US Ban to be lifted

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    let it go dawg, just let it go

[​IMG]

your subforum's dead, son. accept it

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the IDF currently made of up of front line male and female soldiers?

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

The bolded part is where you fail. I'll answer your question, but first, the definition of chivalry...
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/chivalry
    noun

[mass noun]
    • 1the medieval knightly system with its religious, moral, and social code:the age of chivalry
    • the combination of qualities expected of an ideal knight, namely courage, honour, courtesy, justice, and a readiness to help the weak:tales of chivalry and knightly deeds
    • courteous behaviour, especially that of a man towards women:he still retained a sense of chivalry towards women
    Okay... now, we are long past medieval times. Do I like to be treated with respect? Yes, absolutely. When I think of respect, I think of mutual respect... equal respect--namely, not assuming that because I am a female, I am weak and in need of protection. If, in a moment of weakness, I ask for help, that's one thing--but for you to assume that all women are in need of this protection that you speak of, is pretty ignorant and offensive. Even worse, to imply, or in your case, flat-out say, that those who do not wish to be treated as fragile, based on their gender are not "feminine" is ridiculous and ignorant. To treat a person with respect is to get to know them as a person and treating them in the way that individual would like to be treated, instead of making blanket assumptions about them, based on gender.

Just retag it.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Chivalry -- such that it exists as a modern ideal -- is essentially being a gentleman. A gentleman does not make another person -- whether male or female -- feel like a lesser person. That's bad manners, and any modern etiquette guide of standing makes that absolutely clear.

So, let's take a real world example: I will occasionally open doors for women*. Should a woman open a door for me, I would gladly thank that person and walk through the door. That's what good manners demand. Some men would refuse, or insist on opening the door themselves -- that's rude.

*NB, I will also occasionally open doors for men as well. It's just a matter of being nice.

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    =D=

Really, treat female people and male people like people - with courtesy and respect (well, internet excepted sometimes :p) and you've got manners.

6. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    sometimes i hold a door open when the person behind me is still very far off so i can watch them speed up to grab it.

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Oh man... I hate when people do that. If I'm too far off, I'll thank the person, and say that I'm good.

8. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    i love doing it. in my experience, no-one has ever done what you do, unless they are not intending to go through the door i am holding open.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, you're that guy.

10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i open doors for everyone and wear a little cap and jacket like in newsies and i get hella tips

11. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    yeah, you live in dc, right? yes it was probably me.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    My leg is still kinda busted, so I don't like having to speed up because some person is waiting for me. I'm pretty gracious when I say thanks, but I'm good. I'm not all bent about it, or anything.

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I'm equal opportunity on door policy - I hold 'em and I cheerfully thank 'em.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    you should call out "leg is busted, ya arse! let it lay!"

15. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Locking this for a fresh start for the discussion with a bit more of a framework to get to the topics Juliet wanted to aim for.

16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    post itt if youre witty and interesting and would like to talk about women and/or combativeness. just kidding if i were that strict about the limitations id just be posting to myself.

everyone is welcome, indeed encouraged, to post itt and not in the new senate thread which was desperately trumped up at the last second to help the senate mods feel like they he still has some reason for being a mod. post big long essays about ur cousin being a woman or a troop and how this proves/disproves sexism or w/e. post boring huffpo articles. or just make jokes. whatever. have at it.

17. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    It's 'they'.

18. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    the replacement hasnt been blooded yet

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    For reference

Also... is it just me, or does it appear that the opening post in the new thread was not written by the author of the original thread?

So anyway... we left off with the start of a pretty good discussion about modern day manners vs medieval chivalry (and holding doors so that people have to run to you).

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i get my car door for ladies when im driving em places but im not ocd about it and if she reaches the door before me or whatever im not gonna race in front of her or anything

ahahaha omg that's too good. how pathetic

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If the wimmens get to fight, who is going to stay home and make the sammiches?

And I like to hold doors open just to let the heat or air conditioning out of the building.

22. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    The out of work drones.

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Now for some more vintage misogynistic propaganda...

[​IMG]

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    LOL at the Senate. I am thankful to have this thread where we can work together to achieve that gray area between glorious Mother Russia and chivalry.

Rogue_Ten and CT-867-5309 like this.
  25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Yes, i know women and females are slightly different. The females are the peaceful kind, right?