main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [Poll]Begun the Fan Wars Have

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bazinga'd , Jan 24, 2013.

?

Whats your take on the future of the Star Wars / Star Trek fan base rivalry?

1. Friendly Rivalry

25 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. Heated Rivalry

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Status Quo

12 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Flame War

11 vote(s)
    20.4%
  1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    With the unprecedented announcement that a director of Star Trek will now helm Star Wars, we are probably going to be in for quite the battle royal between the fans of the two series. I started looking at some of the comments on some of the other sites and already I can foresee a few interesting discussion between the respective fan bases. Whats your take on how this will impact the Star Wars / Star Trek rivalry?

2. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    I think if we didn't have the internet now, the two fanbases would likely be able to keep it respectable and have a heated rivalry since a lot of the bad blood would be confined to smaller groups but now, something that might have been a simple argument between two fans might explode into a battle between two groups that then gets hyped up to a greater audience. What's worse is that in this situation, both fanbases usually come off worse because if it makes it into the mainstream, there's always this whole "haha look at those freaks getting so upset over some movies" vibe underneath it.

I'm going to try to do my part by not taking part in these interfandom clashes although I have to admit that I probably will succumb to popcorn watching when the inevitable trainwreck and fan drama ensues.

Episode Swag likes this.
  3. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Friendly, because I think both franchises will be going in positive directions and fans of both will be happy overall.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I must ignorant, because the idea of a rivalry between Star Trek fans and Star Wars fans seems ludicrous to me.

Really, I'm laughing right now.

5. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Eh, Star Trek isn't even worthy to be in the same breath as Star Wars. As a Star Wars fan, I don't even feel threatened by Star Trek or its fans.

IMHO, ST is so far beneath SW than ST's own director left it for SW. Very telling.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My best friend from high school is a Trekkie and leaves Star Wars memes on my Facebook page all the time while telling me not to mess with his Star Trek.

In my experience it's been a friendly rivalry, in fact, it has seemed to me that a lot of people like both genres.

7. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I sense a major shift in the Force...

...and not for the better

8. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I couldn't give a frogs fat ass about rivalries. If you want to have a frothing nerd-fit about which franchise is better, go your hardest.
    I'll be standing over here with a bucket of popcorn watching you make an ass out of yourself.

9. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    classic. and I agree =D=

10. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    I'd vote for "don't care". They're two very different franchises aimed at very different people.

Alexrd likes this.
  11. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I am a casual fan of Star Trek, seeing as I've seen about a dozen or so episodes. They're great and all, even the new movie.

I've never really witnessed this rivalry before. The only Trekkies I've seen in real life like Star Wars also. The only real "bash" (if you could call it that) that I've heard my Trekkie fan throw at Star Wars is this:

"You know that George Lucas was inspired by Star Trek when making it right?"

So yeah, I have no clue how the rivalry is gonna evolve since I have never really seen it.

12. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    It's always been friendly, only the media usually plays the two groups out as bitter rivals. They're both better than Twilight.

There are loads of trekkies on this forum, and you'd be hard press to find a Trek fan who doesn't love the original Star Wars movies.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  13. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    Star Trek doesn't want a problem with Star Wars, an ant has no quarrel with a boot.

Echo-07 likes this.
  14. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I don't see the current situation changing at all.

15. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    It's been heated and it will remain so. When I came back in Nov. I got into as bit of a scuff over Trek -- it's just not as beloved as SW is genaerally and that's not to slight it but there's no comparison really. Just the way it is. BUT there are alot of people devoted to Trek and I get it.

16. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I don't get the rivalry at all. I'm nerd/geek enough to love both of them and more.

17. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I like Star Wars and Star Trek for completely different reasons. They don't compete, in my opinion. Why anyone would get upset over Abrams manning the helm is beyond me.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  18. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    As i've grown up, i've realised that the rivalry between Trek and Wars parallels that of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones in that despite there being opposition, it stemmed more from the passion of the medium more than a hostility toward the fanbase or the artists that inspired them. I know HEAPS of people, including myself, that love Trek and Wars. Both have earned their place in science fiction and by having JJ at the helm of both franchises at least for one film, I think the fandoms will just grow to admire one another all the more.

The only trouble is, if the next Star Wars resembles the tone and pacing of Star Trek too much, there will obviously be some very sore Star Wars fans. Keeping in mind that JJ looked to Star Wars as an inspiration for his Star Trek films. So already the potential for comparison is there.

kainee likes this.
  19. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001
    Abrams has GOT to know Star Wars fans are a loyal and finicky bunch. I seriously doubt he'll take too many chances with this movie. I'm betting he'll stay true to the OT, since it's a sequel. I'm sure hoping it looks nothing like the PT in design.

20. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Is that good or a bad thing? Some people after the PT would say that the franchise needs to "boldly go where no PT movie has gone before."

For whatever reason, I think JJ Abrams will breathe a fresh perspective into the movie. Do we know if he is leaving the Trek franchise, BTW?

21. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    People really still have "Fan Wars" about this?

I'm glad I was never involved with this non-sense and can enjoy both for what they are. Much like an enjoyment for fine meats, cheeses, and beers.

Although, this is hilarious:

[​IMG]

kainee, Vespasian, werpudel and 2 others like this.
  22. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    I like 'em both. I thought George Takei ended the rivalry by saying we can all agree that Twilight sucks.

23. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    George Takei is awesome.

24. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001

He totally is!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Considering the volume of Trek fans that despise the reboot, it may be much ado about nothing.