main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Maestro Trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kyris Cavisek, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    There's a difference between people (randomally, deciding, on their own) to call/text/email/facebook Del Rey their requests.

There's another thing when an author directly persuades his target audience during his Facebook Q&A to call/text/email/facebook Del Rey one key, specific request [in the hopes of it becoming a reality].

I would think that's an obvious note to make. One is attempting to pull leverage, the other is fans choosing an act upon themselves as an individual not as a hive-mind conscience.

2. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    It's not really communicating with your audience when your telling them to basically demand that your (possible) employer gives you work.

Well, I suppose it is communicating, but not exactly in the same breadth and way that you describe above. There's a difference in communicating:

"Here's what I think I would like to do with a trilogy. XXXXXX. What do you think?"
    --Awaits Feedback
    --Discusses feedback (or not)

And then, there's what Zahn's doing:

"Here's my idea for a trilogy. Tell Del Rey to let me do it."
    [Doesn't await feedback]
    -- Awaits Del Rey green-lighting his project
    [Doesn't discuss feedback.]

3. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I think Zahn's been hatefuland insulting enough of Vader already, nevermind he's the least in need of protection by a snotnose than anyone ever in the GFFA.

4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Thats the point it's "his corner of the universe" and so not Starwars at all. The Vader/Mara story leaving aside everything else) is at least in the Starwars Universe.

As you say the Hand Empire is defunct anyway so no one besides Zahn will ever reference it ever again.

Also if you had read his short story about the EotH when Thrawn takes down (again) Esva that's probably a good thing.

5. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Do you honestly think there will be a general audience (not just this board) interest/demand for a book about the Chiss ?

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    You do know it appeared in Fate of the Jedi: Ascension and Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse, right? By Christie Golden in the former and Troy Denning in the later? As in, they appeared besides Jagged, fighting Daala?

I had read his short story, cheers.

Zorrixor likes this.
  7. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Actually I so have no problem with that last one.

Zeta1127, Sinrebirth , mnjedi and 2 others like this.
  8. Darth_Martus

Darth_Martus Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2011
    It'd be nice if Zahn wrote something so far in the past or so far in the future that he wasn't able to use the same goddamn characters and have them be better than everyone else.

9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Fixated on his corner of the universe... still writing about the same characters... making Darth Vader look like a chump... telling stories in an era that we already know the fate of...

[​IMG]

Oh, wait, this thread is about Zahn. My bad.

Cronal likes this.
  10. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    A general audience? To be honest, some of the novels I wouldn't expect general audience to be interested in them either. Some people might read Fate of the Jedi and start scratching their heads on who Mara is and why another war is going on. Ultimately, it will be fans of the established stuff that would read such a novel and I enjoyed Zahns other stuff like Outbound Flight and Survivors Quest. So, something along those lines would be fun to read.

Plus, you said that no one cares about the Chiss or stories set in their space which I think is perhaps inaccurate as there will be fans who would want to read more stories about that area of space. There are a few questions concerning the Empire of the Hand and the Chiss with only Zahn perhaps being the only one who can answer them. So, I wouldnt mind some novels exploring this.

11. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    If you're old what am I? I'm 33.

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Decrepit?

13. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I enjoyed OF too, ( I liked the start off SQ when it was in the Universe the rest less so) and I agree something along those lines would be fun but the proposed trilogy is set during the OT so how much can be learned as we know that by HoT people didn't even know the Empire of the Hand existed.

And it also begs the question why set something during the OT if you are not going to use the OT ?

14. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    At 43, I'd hate to think of what I am.

15. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    "People" may not have known, no.

But the cast of the Maestro trilogy? They might have. Fel in particular given he ended up living there and just hasn't been around anymore in later eras to tell people what's there.

16. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    So what am I at 16? :p

17. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Have you considered that you're placing way too much faith in the power of fan requests? Del Ray and other book publishers get hundreds of request for stories a day, many of which are eerily similar and indeed very reminiscent of a hive mind. Zahn's not a mafia leader telling his followers to break the legs of the people in charge so they will give in to his demands... this isn't really leverage with them at all. It's just a way to drop hints to his fanbase on what he might be planning, and a way to collect feedback on it. It's also a way to let it be publicly known what you are interested in writing; the truly bad tie-in novels are usually the ones that are assigned, when the author has no personal interest in writing it beyond the money it pays. It might be "unprofessional" from a traditionalist point of view, but as I've said, I'm personally glad the days of intense separation between author and reader are disappearing.

If Del Ray do pick this up, it certainly won't be because they caved in to political pressure (I can't even say that with a straight face :p).

So in other words, all Star Wars fiction should follow a precise formula. A Star Wars story should never be without a lightsaber. Should never follow anyone besides a Skywalker. It should follow a small group of characters with little deviation.

Though I doubt that's what you meant, it is essentially what you're saying, in not so many words. The whole point of a fictional universe is expansion. The galaxy feels smaller when you focus on nothing but Luke, Leia and Han, and I tired long ago of arguments that exploration of smaller parts of the universe "don't feel like Star Wars". By that logic, West End Games and their adventure journals are the very antithesis of Star Wars. All they had in common with the movies was the setting, but they focused on characters that would likely never play any important role in the lives of the characters from the movies. But they were a breath of fresh air for just that reason.

Zahn's "corner" of the universe has become part of it, and is still being used by other authors (as Sinrebirth pointed out). It's called "expanded" universe for a reason; tie-in fiction becomes boring and stagnant when you refuse to expand. The continuing adventures of Luke, Han and Leia are fine, and have their place, but if you've got a vast cash cow of a franchise, you may as well get all you can out of it.

Hell, Thrawn and the Chiss are a big part of why Star Wars is even still alive. As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with continuing to explore that part of the universe.

Damn, you've officially stolen my title of "youngest board member" (I think?). The only possible solution to this problem is pistols at dawn.

18. Zorkel567

Jan 20, 2010
    Pistols at dawn? What about lightsabers at dawn? Or blasters at dawn?

19. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Cauterization is for wimps. I want blood.

20. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    I think I'm going to steal it at 15 :p

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    QFT.

Describing my problem with Zahn's work in two words: Thrawn fellatio.

I'm sure there is a species in the Star Wars universe with life spans as long as ours.

krtmd likes this.
  22. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Why must you subject my eyes to the horror of cats copulating, and of all things, cats doing it doggy?

23. Zorkel567

Jan 20, 2010
    Fine. You, me, and instantdeath. Behind the dumpster at dawn. Bring your pistol.

instantdeath likes this.
  24. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    What are you ruffians doing behind my shop with weapons? Gonna rob me? I'm gonna call the cops

instantdeath likes this.
  25. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Nick, I expected better from you. Zahn does expand on some elements, but the fact that he invents new places and species is a good thing. It actually expands the universe, rather than book 46 based on Tatooine or Coruscant or Yavin. And he tends to add new species that are distinctive, like the Caamasi, Ishori, Diamala, or Noghri, who actually act like alien cultures, rather than being name dropped but then acting like humans with minor quirks.

That's a matter of taste. The Republic commando novels became Traviss's little universe about the military and Mandolorians Vikings with the Star Wars label slapped on it. No one cares about what happens on Mandolore or what the perfect little band of Mandolorian Commando-clones get up to on Mandolore.

Reaper63 and Zeta1127 like this.