main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books New Novel! Maul: Lockdown by Joe Schreiber

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    After the hyping up of this, if Paul S Kemp's duology turns out to be a Darth Maul duology, I think I would cry.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm with Hav on this. I was all ready to do unto this news as the Death Star did Alderaan but, instead, I find being inclined to be merciful!

A large part of this is, used as an action character, Maul works. Shadow Hunter was a lot of fun, as was the Marz0-Duursema comic as both understood the core tenet of Maul - let him go on a killing spree, that's it. Sounds overly simplistic but it works with the character type that is Maul.

Could be fun.

3. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Kemp isn't writing it so I think we are safe

4. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Not this, I meant if his duology features Maul... And anyways, you can never be too safe.

5. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    It won't feature Maul. but he is going to be around for a while now...

6. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Could be, but Shadow Hunter worked because Maul wasn't the main character; he was just an implacable impersonal force chasing them. If it had really been about Maul it would have been super boring. And I would argue that the Darth Maul comic worked because it was a comic, so the visuals made up for the lack of the main character's personality. As far as plot and characters go, it was pretty light.

But whatever, I'm not offended by the idea of Darth Maul: Letdown, I'm just not interested.

Rew, Zorrixor and Manisphere like this.
  7. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Darth Maul: Letdown. That's good.:p

Zorrixor likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Fair enough.

For myself you can have the flattest character going but if you have everything being in response to him, all the action moves, plots, intrigues it can work, which is precisely what Garth Ennis did with the Punisher. It's not easy, but it can be done. The key is an interesting support cast and good supply of cannon fodder.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That almost sounds like a Man With No Name scenario. Walks into a place, pokes and prods here and there, then all hell breaks loose as a result.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [face_laugh]

11. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Yeah, also not a huge fan of Boba either. Big part of why I Karen Traviss' contributions to LOTF... way to much Boba and Mando love for me to regard those books as even real entries into the series.

12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Not interested, and why does everything have to be in hardcover?

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    In a way, yeah. When done well, the story works, but it isn't the easiest type of tale to pull off!

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Search your feelings... you know it to be true...

[​IMG]

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I believe Maul was the silent main character in Saboteur, and I liked that just fine, though it was a short story and not a full novel.

Isn't this the same guy who jammed that line from Taken into Red Harvest?

If Maul gets into a boiler room fight, impales some monster with a pipe and says "Let off some steam"....

I will lose my flipping mind.

ITT YOU COME UP WITH TERRIBLE ONE LINERS FOR SCHREIBER TO AWKWARDLY CRAM INTO THIS BOOK.

Go.

16. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I feel like Del Rey was like this book is going to smell like Poodoo let's reveal it the same day the Director for Episode 7

17. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've downloaded Saboteur to my Kindle but haven't read it yet.

I don't think I'm interested in an entire novel about Maul; I got as much of his back story as I cared about in the Plagueis novel.

And if it's only available in hardcover and not on the Kindle, I'm definitely not interested. Damn tree killers.

Barriss_Coffee and CT-867-5309 like this.
  19. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    "You're a funny guy, Obi-Wan, I like you. That's why I'm going to kill you last."

20. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    How about this for set up, his lightsaber is taken away, he spends most of his time in jail building one. Finally the good antagonist is like you aren't getting out of here. And Maul is like really? "Say 'Ello to my Little Friend!" Lightsaber beams up and voila

21. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I like the idea of another Schreiber prison novel.

I don't like the idea of it featuring Maul.

22. Scimitar13

Scimitar13 Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2013
    I am very curious about this book being described as a follow-up to Darth Plagueis. I'll be sure to check it out when it releases!

23. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    I'm calling it now, that cheesey line from Fanboys "Time for you to get mauled boy." will appear!

Sitara likes this.
  24. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I wanted a qui-gon or dooku novel, but this is perfectly acceptable. I always enjoy expanding the TPM-esque era because it was mostly a forgotten era until 2012. Even then I don't think its fully been realized until we get more of Dooku and Qui-gon. I wouldn't even mind a novel with TPM era or post TPM obi-wan.

25. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I am seriously torn about this. I really enjoy Schreiber's writing and his extensive use of atmosphere. I want to read the book for that. But... Darth Maul. I guess it will come down to if someone gets it for me for Christmas or Schreiber holds another local book-signing, which I will then buy the book. You hear that, Schreiber? Hold another book-signing somewhere near Gettysburg! :p