main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Pretty sure this is it...I'm about to have a mental breakdown

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Working 6 days a week without an actual rest day (the 7th day is always spent on errands) for the past few months has finally brought me to the edge. I am getting so sick of dealing with people. If you go to a restaurant and the server kindly explains to you that your meal will be taking longer than expected due to the kitchen crashing, what the heck gives you the nerve to blame the server and accusing him/her of supposedly ringing in your meal late?

This is but one of hundreds of stupid, moronic issues I've had to deal with this past week, and I think I've had enough. Just enough. People get so worked up and angry about their food service without bothering to understand how the whole restaurant system works, so the server always gets the business end of the stupid stick. Not going to tip me because the kitchen messed up? Yeah, that's a server's fault. Not going to tip because the prices aren't comparable to McDonald's? Yeah, the server's to blame for that, too. And hey, you're yelling so loud that spittle is spraying from your face and the server has resorted to a manager to deal with you from now on so you won't tip? Yup. You guessed it. That's the server's fault.

Oh. My. God. Working two high volume restaurant jobs has doubled my stress, doubled my internal turmoil (lol?), and has doubled my absolute misery with everything.

Last week, a fight also broke out at one of my restaurants because of the Patriots losing to the Ravens. A huge fight between six guys in which tables were turned over, people (old women, little children) were pushed aside so these men could smash their fists into each other's faces and spray blood everywhere.

What the frak. Restaurant jobs are so underrated with regards to tension and stress.

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Live within your means so that you don't have to kill yourself to leave beyond your means.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We are here for you. Posting this here was the best possible thing you could do.

RC-1991, Kiki-Gonn and Valyn like this.
  4. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Working with customers is the number one reason I went back to school to find employment where I don't have to deal with people. I may not make the most money in the world, nor is my job glamorous or interesting to anyone outside of my field but I like that I wake up and look forward to going into work because I never have to deal with customers.

Also I argee with Harps. Cut back so you don't have to drive yourself crazy to make ends meet.

Valyn likes this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Check yo' inbox, foo!

Valyn likes this.
  6. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I've long thought that instead of mandatory military service, everyone should be forced to work some sort of customer service oriented job for two years.

RC-1991, JoinTheSchwarz and Valyn like this.
  7. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Have you considered looking for other lines of work?

8. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Microsoft is hiring tons of people down there to open their new stores, check it out.

9. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I do love Microsoft...

As for other lines of work. I've been looking and working in other lines of work since I graduated with my MBA. But nothing pays as well as the jobs I currently work. Bills have forced me to stay in an industry where people forget that we're supposed to be above animals.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    It's time to apply for a reality show life makeover. Send a gloomysad video to MTV.

I can propose idiotic drivel like this since we are gettin' real in the private sector...

Valyn likes this.
  11. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    that's why i work in the kitchen. make steady bank, don't have to deal with customers, and i get to berate servers if i feel like it.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Co-signed. I haven't worked in food... or customer service of any sort... for years, but once I was an assistant manager who demoted myself to stock worker so I could hide in the freezer and be in an environment that not only appealed to my antisocial, profound hatred of mankind at the time... but also felt like home to my cold, cold heart... :(

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    quit one of your jobs and spend some time with your family! this is such a no-brainer valyn. ugh. your daughter is only going to be this small once, and not only are you going to miss it you're going to be miserable the whole time!

jp-30, MASTERPRENN, V-2 and 4 others like this.
  14. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    That's sound advice tom. I missed the first 7 months of my son's life training for my current job. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    It isn't that easy for him. That's all I'll say, but just know it isn't that easy at this particular moment.

This is what it sounds like when I am taking a JCC situation seriously. This moment will pass...

16. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    How were the tips?

heels1785 and MASTERPRENN like this.
  17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    [​IMG]

18. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    So beezel DID take my advice and ask you for a loan...

In all seriousness, hunt around, find something which has a good starting pay which can cover your bills and give you a little something extra. You cannot expect to make exactly what you were making when you transition your career from one sector to another, you may need to lower your expectations a bit in order to get your foot in the door to where you can make more with time. Friend of mine was in a similar position, had a job in sales for years, got an MIS degree but started out doing tech support for the ISP I used to work for. He eventually built up his resume to the point where employers were comfortable hiring him to do stuff he went to school for. The longer he was in sales, the bigger a shadow it cast over his IT ambitions and made potential employers shy away from hiring him for MIS degree jobs. You only live once, grab the bull by the horns and enjoy the ride.

19. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    kyle katarn, performing mouth to mouth as always on the desiccated, worm-eaten, eye-less corpse of the american dream.

but seriously valyn i think you're judgement is getting better. when i saw this thread i was like damn by the time i click this they'll have driven him to suicide. but you were just complaining about work, not the kind of overshare we love to take advantage of. good on you

that's not fair. dude's a young dad with a kid. its hard out here for a pimp

20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I hear ya. I absolutely hate, HATE working with customers and on some levels my job involves doing just that. But luckily my interactions are mostly limited to a few calls here and there and many emails, nowhere near as hectic and crappy as what Valyn describes.

Valyn, dude, I can't recall how many times I told you to get out of the service industry while you still could. But that was many years ago before a wife and a baby came along. Now you have to make ends meet for the three of you and I sincerely don't envy you. Regardless, it's never too late to consider a career change or reconsider other options that could potentially improve your living standard; even in this economy there are always options.

But there has got to be some way in which you could cut costs that may allow you to have a decent standard of living without slaving yourself to death or insanity. Review your bank and cc statements and analyze your spending. See what activities or otherwise superfluous expenditures you should refrain from and, of course, reach a consensus with your partner in that regard. Your may find yourself with considerably more money in your wallet that way. There's nothing you can do about fixed expenses, but perhaps there is some way in which you can restructure your credit card or student loan debt. Perhaps think about doing so with your mortgage as well if you have a chance to refinance your loan for a lower rate and monthly payment. And failing that...maybe consider finding yourself a new place suitable for your needs as well as your budget.

I'm certain you have certain personal factors to consider in regards to making drastic changes in your lifestyle, but I suspect the reality of your situation is now hitting you hard and relentlessly. So it's time for a change, man. You best get to it now before it's too late.

21. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    The hard thing when you're that busy is that you're too tired to look for another job. Sounds crazy but its true, that's how it worked at my original office job... we were all miserable but couldn't seem to break free.

And then of course the longer you stay in this industry the harder it will be to get out.

You need to give it a shot.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Wait a damn minute...you have an MBA and working two server jobs pays better than any job you could find with your MBA? I know the economy sucks but I'm still scratching my head on that one. Restaurant jobs must pay a hell of a lot better than they did last time I worked one. (And I sympathize, as I hated every second of it.)

Echoing the advice to cut back on your expenses, and keep looking for something else. Send out one resume a day; that should only take a few extra minutes.

23. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    what's the point of the additional income if you're miserable?.

Rox and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  24. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    BUSINESS END OF THE STUPID STICK

25. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Whoever said the customer is always right never accounted for the depths of human stupidity.