main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Please no handheld.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth_Reign, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    To me the cinematography of Star Wars is as important as the music or the characters, it's a subtle but really important part of a Star Wars film.

Abrams should respect the directorial work of Lucas (Episode IV Lucas), Marquand and Kirschner and craft his shots to fit into the visual style of the series.

I do not want to see handheld chase scenes or purposeful shakes of the camera to create realism, Star Wars isn't about realism it's a fantasy.

I didn't mind the handheld in Star Trek, but that was a reboot and besides the Star Trek films have always had different styles.

Episode Swag likes this.
  2. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    I definitely don't want any "digitally shaky cam" in an all digital scene, which they bragged about during the AotC (I think) promo period.
    And I do want the weird scene transitions from way back when.
    I'm sure "weird scene transitions" isn't the official term.

fishtailsam and Episode Swag like this.
  3. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    You don't have to worry about any of this. Abrams is going to be following the Star Wars visual template VERY closely. If there is one thing Abrams is: He is an imitator/conformist. He knows how to recreate what he likes.

4. mglover92

mglover92 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    i doubt he would use the handheld cam for something like Star wars.

fishtailsam likes this.
  5. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    You do realise that the prequels followed the same "directorial work" style as the first three, right? The feel that the camera work had was identical to the OT.

phatdude1138 and Palpatine2016 like this.
  6. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    ROFL, tell that to the people that constantly try to insert real life logic to justify their hatred for the prequels.

7. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Well I wouldn't say that entirely. The prequels certainly very distinct visual style.

But the original trilogy had a very diverging look from each film. Especially, The Empire Strikes Back. Empire Strikes Back looks VERY different than A New Hope.

A New Hope(or even the Prequels)Lucas liked to have large wide shots, where the viewer takes in the whole scene. Its very much influenced from something like a John Ford picture. Actors in Lucas directed films are largely "props."

Empire, on the other hand, Kirshner loved to fill the frame, many times, with the actors faces. Getting more mannerisms, and interplay between actors. Empire has more in common with noir films of the 1940s.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  8. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Wasn't there a bit of shakiness during the trooper scenes in the Battle of Geonosis, or am I mistaken?

9. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    There's plenty of hand-cam in SW. But GL doesn't hit you over the head with it, as JJA does.

10. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Yeah, no shaky cams and slow motions shots.

11. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Why would you hire a director like Abrams, one of the best in the business right now, and tell him "do it excatly like these other people did it".

I want to see Abrams do HIS take on Star Wars. You don't need an A-List director to copy what someone else did. You get an A-List director to get them to bring their style, vision etc... to the project. Abrams should be able to make the movie the way he sees it and wants to make it, and Kennedy is a good enough producer to let him.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree, a lot of us tend to assume JJ will film Star Wars like Star Trek. Without more, that assumption is dubious at best. I think JJ will film Star Wars in way that will best allow him to tell the story, whether thats similar to Star Trek or not. Lets give him a chance before we get critical

13. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    It doesn't just go for Abrams through.

I've seen people on here and people on forcecast say things like - bring this guy back, bring that guy back, I don't want some new guy doing his verison of Star Wars music etc...."

That should be part of the excitement of Disney making new Star Wars movies, we get to see other creative people playing int he world and what their take on the characters and universe is. We've seen how Lucas and "the old guard" handle it. I don't want people who will just copy what they did, I want to see something new. If Kirschner just copied with Lucas did would Empire have been as good as it was?

There is a lot of new blood coming into the franchise (With some of the old guard there as well), they should (and I have ever confidence they will be allowed too) have the freedom to be creative, bring new things and new visions to the franchise.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  14. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm all for original takes. The problem is the new trilogy's identity. If it is the beginning of a brand new story thread, then by all means, make it completely new. But if it is supposed to conclude the story thread set by the first two trilogies, then the more it differs from those two in style, the more lopsided the whole saga will seem.

Episode Swag likes this.
  15. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Empire Strikes back continued the story started in ANH, but it was different in style and tone, and almost everyone holds it up as the best in the series. And the style and tone changes didn't make it different from the ANH, they got incorporated into what made Star Wars Star Wars.

I know the idea of change adn something new is scary, but it should also be whats exciting about the new movies. Not "oh my god, what will JJ Abrams change", it should be "I can't wait to see what JJ Abrams will bring".

16. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Those are film transitions and are called 'wipes' and 'dissolves' and yes they are very much a part of Star Wars thanks to George Lucas who is a student of film editing and he has said that is his favorite part of filmmaking.

17. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    You are correct. The only time I was aware of it was the "zooming" in of the Clone Gunships at the beginning of the battle of Geonosis. I'm a very vocal Lucas and PT defender, but even I have to concede that those scenes didn't "fit right".

The filming styles of ANH through ROTS are pretty consistent. The only real changes were the space battles, because as technology advanced, so did they way the battles were filmed. In the original theatrical release of ANH, the models moved very stiffly without panning around a lot as that was a limitation of the newly invented motion control camera. In ESB, the space battles improved and by ROTJ, we saw the insane amount of ships and different angles it was filmed at. In the Special Edition of ANH, the Death Star space battle was improved by adding CGI, which IMO, was a great improvement.

Long story short is for the most part all six films have a similar filming style. the ST should follow that model.

18. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    I re-watched Abrams Star Trek last night and tried to imagine it as a Star Wars film, you know, to maybe get a feel for what the ST might look like, and the shaky cam jumped out at me the most in a bad way.

19. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Like there's a cameraman in that Galaxy who filmed it and sent it to earth. Na, no thanks. It won't make it feel "realistic". I think he'll mimic the Star Wars traditional style, even more so reflecting the OT. CGI has improved a lot as well so I don't think the new series will have that synthetic feel the PT had.

20. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't think something new is scary at all! I LOVE being excited about the possible places new directors can go. I'm just saying there are aesthetic boundaries past which a "conclusion trilogy" would seem out of place. You want A, B, & C. Not A, B, & c.