main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC If there is a God, then why is there evil and suffering?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    My reasoning for my views is simple, just like me. There may be vastly intelligent and powerful beings operating outside the boundaries and the rules of the observed and observable universe, but we have not observed them, nor can we, nor do we know what kind of probability to assign about their likelihood of existing. And so I'm an agnostic atheist relative to them and their existence.

However, within the observed and observable universe we have yet to observe a single supernatural phenomenon. The evidence for the perpetual non-occurrence of supernatural phenomenon is overwhelming. Since we have an airtight case for the nonoccurrence of supernatural phenomenon, we have no valid reason to doubt that the probability of those occurrences having happened on earth within the lifespan of the human species is zero.

As a species, as soon as we became aware of the existence of other cultures with other religions, we knew that not all religions could be true. Naturally, we preferred our own religion. But once we learned enough about the physical world on earth and throughout the universe, we realized that all religions that rely on the occurrence of supernatural phenomenon are equally not true. The human race finally knows there are no gods that have ever intervened in human affairs, but individuals have catching up to do.

If the human race survives, then within a few hundred years religion will just be a scourge of poverty and ignorance, like dysentery and malnutrition. That's the trend now, and there's no reason to suspect the trendline will reverse unless civilization falls.

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  3. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I'm posting that on facebook

4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So...who here's got the guts to insult or make fun of Islam instead? I hear they try to kill you for that sort of stuff.

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I got one!
    [​IMG]

CT-867-5309 and DarthMane2 like this.
  6. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I think it's a shame that threads with controversial topics so often end up with a large amount of people on one side bashing the views of a single outlier on the other side.
    The gun control thread would be more constructive if pro-gun people with more widely accepted views than KK posted, and this thread would be more constructive if pro-god people with more widely accepted views than the General posted.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Wait... this hasn't been Cry More: The Thread this whole time...?

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I made this comment already. Like, pages ago.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    So if someone slams organized religion as a whole, do they get offended by that? Or only if you are singling Islam out specifically?

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Islam's momma is so fat, she got a coat from Earl Schieb.

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Islam? More like 'is lame' amirite?

Fire_Ice_Death and CT-867-5309 like this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Islam's momma is not allowed to buy coats from that Jew Earl Schieb. Regardless of her enormous girth, it simply means a bigger burka for this noble woman. She gotta hide that ****.

Fire_Ice_Death likes this.
  13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There's one Muslim JC'er that I know of (well, one who's not banned) and I'm pretty sure he'd just find a Simpsons quote.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  15. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It is hard enough convincing Christians us atheists aren't allied with cosmic evil without dumb sites like that.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I for one, love black metal. Fact.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    That site is like 15 years old. I wonder if the author still gets death threats.

And apparently my last post was ignored by who it was replied at. Atheism is still not a belief. You'll have to learn to live with that.

18. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Yeah, atheism is nothing more than the application of one of science's most basic principles: the rejection of any theory that is not supported by facts.

19. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    [​IMG]

20. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    you present the word "believe" here as if the two options are equivalent, when they aren't.

for me to say that I "believe" that I'm going to win next week's lottery is very different to me saying that I "believe" that the sun will rise in the East tomorrow. as Neil DeGrasse Tyson says, "science is true whether you believe in it or not"; god, on the other hand, disappears completely when you remove belief. it's the same kind of distinction, then, between choosing to "believe" that a non-physical, untestable and unverifiable entity exists and choosing to "believe" that it doesn't. the former is based on hope and the latter on reason (and that's not intended to sound patronising).

theism is essentially based on a form of hope -- faith. atheism is based on the opposite of this. whichever suits you, go for it, by all means. i don't have a problem with people who believe in god - about 95% of my family do - i just have an issue, as harpuah says, when it begins to negatively effect me and also the world we live in (i.e. no condoms in Africa or priests abusing kids).

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I disagree. As I said, the existence of God is a matter of belief. To say that God doesn't exist is as much of a belief as to say that it does. Both claims are physically unprovable.

That's a fallacious reasoning. Priests abusing kids has nothing to do with religion. There is no correlation between both (specially when religion itself condones that).

Also, the Catholic Church is the biggest charity organization in the world, and is responsible for most of Africa's missionary work. And they do distribute condoms, although the mere distribution is no solution (it only increases the problem).

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Affect, not effect.

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Again, the word "atheism" tells you all you need to know. If theism is believing in a god or deity, then adding A to the front of that means NOT believing in a god or deity. That is not the same as believing god does not exist.

And the Catholic Church distributes condoms in Africa? I think you're gonna have to provide something to back that one up.

25. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Condoms don't increase any problem as far as I'm aware. They've been proven to lower the rates of unwanted pregnancies as well as the spread of disease. Unless the problem in question is people having sex...which shouldn't be our concern considering that sexual morality ought to be a personal issue.