main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Savage Opress

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Fat_Rancor_Keeper, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    No, Dave has confirmed that the idea to bring back Maul appeared after the Nightsisters trilogy had already been developed. They still had time to produce that quick crystal ball scene and tack it at the end of the final episode, but it was a concept that certainly didn't exist initially. Savage WAS created because they couldn't get Maul, and then once they had Savage, George decided he wanted Maul anyway.

2. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Ah, so it was an after-thought. Good to know.

But yeah, he was intended as a clone, no matter what. That much is clear.

3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    In the chat last week, Filoni had said that when they sat down with Lucas and outlined the stories season 3, and that at the end of the meeting they were still uncertain where Lucas was intending to go with that ending in which Maul appears in the crystal ball. Which is part of the reason that Maul as they see him in the crystal ball is not the same as the one we see now, when they found out that Lucas was going on ahead with bringing Maul back they had to reconstruct a different model for the character. I had asked in the chat about how long it had been between developing the concept for Savage and the decision to bring Maul back, since in the show Savage is introduced two episodes before Maul is seen in the crystal ball, but given that Filoni still had no idea where they were going with that at the time, Filoni may not have known about Maul actually returning until they all sat down together to talk about the season 4 stories - but he didn't give a definitive answer as to when he found out.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Ripped from the MIA thread:

Yeah, the Frankenstein stuff was obvious, but doesn't always apply. Savage wasn't born or raised as an abomination, he was once a decent man. I suppose it's part Darth Vader thrown in, a decent man turning to evil, the tragedy of the dark side, etc. Maybe we'll see Savage get his redemption.

Savage declares that Ventress betrayed him in "Witches of the Mist", despite him attacking her (more Vader). He pouts that Talzin betrayed him the moment his little beacon goes out in "Brothers". So yeah, betrayal is a major aspect of this storyline.

Abuse is a major aspect, too. Dooku abusing Ventress, Ventress abusing Savage and now Savage taking it from Maul. Perhaps Savage will feel enough is enough and have his Vader moment to put an end to it.
    [​IMG]

It wouldn't surprise me if Katie Lucas is ripping straight from the saga, it's a classic Lucas method. I wouldn't be surprised if George gave her a little help in that area.

5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks for bringing back this thread CT-867-5309 I didn't want to keep derailing the MIA thread by contributing to the Savage discussion.

Savage Opress is my favorite TCW original character so I consider myself quite invested in him. I understand the point made in the MIA thread that he's not consistently portrayed as either sympathetic or unsympathetic, but I think that works because of the nature of the character - his mind has essentially been twisted, if not totally seized. He's not the person he was in Monster, to a much more literal extent than Darth Vader was no longer Anakin Skywalker. So of course he's going to sympathetic as an oppressed male in an extremely matriarchal society, and of course he's going to be unsympathetic once he's a twisted monster wreaking havoc. He's a paradox - one of the reasons I'm so into the character (in addition to the more aesthetic reasons).

I think CT is dead-on about them taking cues for his development from the films, someday I'm going to start a new thread with a massive wall-of-text comparing him to Luke in the OT (but an evil version - like my Brothers episode thread rant but extended). Another reason I like the character so much.

6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I would applaud it if Savage killed Maul. I kind of feel like the whole Maul-losing-his-legs-thing didn't have the impact on the character as it should. If you compare Vader pre and post-suit for instance, suited Vader seems a bit emasculated. In ROTS Vader seemed very confident, very ambitious (willing to overthrow Palpatine right away), filled with spirit and energy. But after pretty heavily crippled, he becomes more Palpatine's silent enforcer. When Anakin bows before Palpatine and takes orders in ROTS, I always interpreted a bit of disdain in Anakin. Like he was just going through to motions to appease Palpatine so that Anakin would get what he wanted. But in the OT I don't interpret that. I just see full obedience and far less assertiveness and confidence in his abilities ("I MUST obey my master").

Maul doesn't really suffer that kind of blow to esteem. He takes losing his legs and being insane for over a decade fairly well... Too well IMO that it's kind of ridiculous that he just gets over it, gets back on the horse, and proves to be more competent and confident than he was in TPM. That doesn't make sense to me.

When Talzin told Savage to seek out Maul for training, I was fairly certain that Maul would be returning in the flesh. But I had no expectation that he was just going to smack Savage down, take over, and make Savage entirely redundant and pointless. I anticipated something more akin to Luke finding Yoda on Dagobah. That Savage would find Maul in exile. That Maul would have something of a defeatist attitude and be horrified of the consequences of losing to the Jedi, that he'd be discovered by the Jedi or Sidious and be finished off. And that he would reluctantly train Savage.

Then as Savage gets stronger and Maul sees his power, Maul would abuse Savage and try to use him as the tool by which he'd have his revenge, only for Savage to get sick of the abuse and cut Maul down once his training was complete. Then Savage would continue on as an interesting character in his own right and would tie back into Talzin's plans and crop back up as a threat to Asajj, Dooku and the Jedi.

But instead Maul is fine. Savage is redundant. And while I like 2/3 of the Maul episodes, the development of the character strains credibility just as much IMO as did the means by which he merely survived.

Savage exists as a stand-in for Maul, but now they brought back Maul anyway. I'm pessimistic about the team salvaging Savage's character in an interesting way. He feels redundant at the moment.

7. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    I have one idea of how he could be salvaged, hopefully it doesn't sound too hokey.

He becomes a foil to Ventress, a bad guy good guy forcibly corrupted into evil as a counterpart to her own attempt to grow out of her old persona. In his own crazed mind he desires to bring a twisted justice onto her, hoping to break her utterly and until she is nothing more then a pathetic wrecked shell groveling at his feet, weeping and lamenting over the evil she inflicted on him. He follows her through the galaxy, hatred growing in him as she becomes more then what he needs her to be, an old discarded tool to be humiliated and made to know she will never be more then a complete monster.

Like I said, hopefully this isn't too hokey. [face_blush]

8. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I am reviving this thread for the sole purpose of [Removed] over how much I love Randy and how only I am allowed to like him. I call myself the last remaining Randy fan for a reason. No-one else is allowed to like Savage from now on. You may only mock and deride him and I will swoop in like rumblewagon does for Ahsoka to defend my knight in shining armour. We clear?

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    his name is not RANDY, it's SAVAGE :p

10. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    YOU DON'T GET THE IN-JOKE NOOB

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    actually i do, his name Savage, and you people call him Randy, cause of Randy Savage

Order66Survivor likes this.
  12. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    You work fast, nubcake. But you still have much more to learn.

13. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    First of several Randy gifs. Unfortunately they will only be from Season 5 as I don't have editable copies of earlier episodes any more.

[​IMG]

14. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    On first viewing I thought Savage punching that shield over and over was dumb, I didn't notice that he managed to bash it back into Embo's face.

I was like, "Does Savage think that shield is alive? Is he trying to kill it? Or does he think he can penetrate it if he punches it enough? Does he think it's a punching bag, and Embo is his boxing coach?"

The point is to show off his brute strength and mechanical fist, but I thought it was a bit much.

I was also wondering why he didn't just pick up his lightsaber and cut right through it. Embo knocked out of his hands with his shield throw, but it should still be lying around there somewhere.

I didn't really enjoy the bounty hunters playing grab ass with Savage and Maul all that much.

15. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    It's part of his simplistic logic. If I punch this shield enough times, it will eventually break.

A lot of that fight was probably drawn out to showcase their better fistfight animations.

This brings me to my next gif. You may remember the various Shredder PAWNCH gifs I made on temp forum...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well now I can proudly present the sequel: The Randy PAWNCH

[​IMG]

(Disclaimer: for the love of God, don't try and view this page if you're on a gaming PC.)

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  16. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Can you make a gif of Savage killing Adi Gallia? :)

17. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Can you not make a gif of Savage killing Adi Gallia?

Because that needs to be forgotten.

18. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Fixed.

Order66Survivor and CT-867-5309 like this.
  19. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    TCW canon > EU canon

That's the way it always has been.

20. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    **** canon, Savage killing Adi Gallia with a headbutt is ******* terrible, and you're terrible for liking it.

And that's not the way it's always been, because TCW didn't even exist until five years ago.

21. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    The gif is already made. Several versions, in fact, since it's a rather long sequence.

I will post it on the condition that The Shadow Emperor officially renounces his appreciation of Savage. As I made it clear earlier in the thread, only I am allowed to be a Randy fanboy.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    What gives you the right to tell people that they are not allowed to like Savage, they can like whoever they want

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  23. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    Hahahahahaha

No.

If you can't even reply without cursing and resorting to insults then I'm not going to respond to you. Simple as that.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  24. Dathomir-Witch

Dathomir-Witch Jedi Master star 2

Jan 2, 2013
    Oh, if this only applies to fanboys, I don't have to worry about what I just did in the favourite TCW character thread.:p

25. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Then no gif for you. Too bad.

Trebor Sabreon and CT-867-5309 like this.