main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The nuances / ingredients that make a Star Wars film

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by phatdude1138, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    From a certain point of view.

For many people who hadn't seen the OT before the PT, like PiettsHat, Anakin turning to the dark side was a similar moment.

2. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    How about the goofy humour? Everyone hates on Lucas for it but its as much as part of Star Wars as lightsabers, space battles and corny dialogue.

3. Darth Cornish

Darth Cornish Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    The 'heavy' moments:
    - Anakin confesses to killing sandpeople
    - Order 66
    - Padme looking out of the window as the temple burns
    - Anakin burning on mustafar
    - Luke looking at the twin sunsets
    - rebels retreat on hoth
    - Han frozen
    - i am your father
    - Luke / Vader talk after luke gives himself up
    - Luke using dark side
    - Vader debating saving luke

The 'uplifting' moments:
    - opening battle of coruscant
    - Luke and leia delivered to adoptive parents
    - death star trench run / use the force Luke
    - luke brings down AT-AT
    - Yoda lifts x wing
    - r2 shoots lightsaber to Luke on Skiff
    - Vader makes his decision
    - Falcon and Wedge escape Death Star II

Theres loads more, but these moments for me make a star wars film. They give it weight, and make me care about what is happening to the characters.

4. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I totally agree, the humor has to be there (that's why I've been pushing for Favreau). Just in ESB alone, there were tons of funny parts: the witty banter between Leia and Han. The banter between 3PO and everyone. R2 falling off the xwing and getting spit out. Yoda beating R2 with his gimmer stick. The tools falling on Hans head in the asteroid field. Chewy putting 3POs head on wrong. Chewy choking Lando.

5. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    "Why you half-witted, stuck-up, scruffy-looking nerfherder!"

Leia making out with Luke just to piss Han off.

The Ugnauts playing keep-away with C3PO's parts.

Lots of great comic relief in the SW saga.

6. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    I totally don't know how we missed this one but:

All Star Wars films are shot in an aspect ratio of 2.35 : 1

[​IMG]

Graphic and LawJedi like this.
  7. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    THIS. I'm pretty sure that even TCW acknowledges this aspect ratio, in its "true" form on home video.

8. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    With JJ Directing now, I need to go figure out what aspect ratio most of his films are in!

9. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    The framing and cinematography is a little thing that audiences typically aren't actively thinking of, which I'd think is a little thing that is very important. And Star Wars has a very specific style in my eyes.

For example, during action scenes the camera typically doesn't woosh around. It is very clearly mounted or on a rig, even if the scene is digitally created and there is no physical camera. In The Clone Wars, the camera is a little too dynamic for my liking at times, but I'm okay with it since it's not a Star Wars film. In JJ's Star Wars I really hope we don't see crazy camera movements or crazy slanted shots. I know JJ did some pretty dynamic camera moves in Star Trek '09. I'd just hope he knows the Star Wars style and doesn't give us crazy slants while inside spaceships and such.

10. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    What I like most about Abrams being the guy... he proved with Super 8 that he can change his style to that of others. Super 8 was totally a Spielberg homage, and felt like an 80's Spielberg film. I'm sure he will seamlessly keep the Star Wars "style" of presentation just fine!

11. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Even though I really would have preferred "another director" (not mentioning names), and I have been critical of JJ Abrams film style (and his character as a person), it's fellow fans like you that I'm hoping are right. I don't want to be naive, but some part of me HOPES that JJ Abrams has that little kid in him that LOVED Star Wars and he wants to put this film ABOVE his career, meaning, it's more about it being "STAR WARS" (in the traditional sense) then about him making a JJ Abrams stylistic version.

Not to derail my own thread, I just hope he keeps the classic style, and "nuances" intact.

12. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    For me, Star Wars has its greatest Moments when it tells these tiny Storys about things we actually dont know or see.

Alec Guinness did wonders to my imagination.

13. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Aside from the opening crawl, not much of that stuff will be missed.

Frankly, the PT looked pretty sterile for the most part. It will be awesome to have a fresh new look to the saga.

14. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    On that note what I liked back in 1977 was:

LUKE: You fought in the Clone Wars?
    BEN: Yes, I was once a Jedi Knight the same as your father.
    LUKE: I wish I'd known him.
    BEN: He was the best star-pilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior.

My imagination ran wild. for 25 YEARS!! Finally when AOTC came out, the wait was over, we got to see the Clones, Obi-Wan and Luke's father fighting side by side. I know it didn't live up to the expectations of some people, but it was just fine for me! I don;t know what kind of "magic" the could put in the new films that would equal that, but if they could, it would be damn cool.

15. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only new thing from the Special Editions/PT added to the SW style is the seeing movement through windows thing (Cloud City) which evolved into the camera seeing through windows AND moving forward and entering through the windows (Padme's apartment, Anakin's speeder, whatever the name of that crashing ship is that Anakin is piloting at the beginning of ROTS

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  16. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I partially agree, but they should only show this industrial, 'used space' design when it's appropriate, the same with the shiny looks. I mean, the whole of US does not look like downtown Chicago, or Rockefeller Center.

A lot of people complain about the Prequel Trilogy's shiny looks, but the way the story went with galactic politics, there was little room for 'used space'. It still looked like a real environment to me and it complemented the story: beautiful art was a false facade on internal decay. What I mean is that Palpatine should not have lived in a junkyard.

(Also, a post-war, dictatoric environment with an insurgent movement looks different from a peace time regime. I'm from Hungary, and boy, the generic artistic style from Communism still looks very depressing. We are getting back our shiny looks now, in peace time.)

So, I would like variety, a mixture of the OT and PT perhaps!

17. Figrin D'aniel

Figrin D'aniel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2013
    There were clone troopers/stormtroopers in all the Star Wars movies except Episode 1. Though I guess you could say the battle droids were sort of the substitute for the stormtroopers. So one thing every Star Wars movie has had so far is a mass army of troops. It is Star WARS after all. :p

18. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    That is so very true!

We need a war.

It's not called 'Peace among the Stars'.

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    In Sweden, The Holiday Special was called "Stjärnornas krig och fred" which translates to "Star War and Peace" ;)

20. kegs202

kegs202 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    I haven't read the whole thread so this might already be covered. After the opening crawl the camera always pans down and the movie always starts off in space. I would be a bit annoyed if they tinkered with this.

21. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    When I think of the little nuances (perhaps details are a better word for this than nuances), I think of the many details that the movies are full of that you could miss the first time you watched (or even the first several times you watched). Roger Ebert talked about this in one of his SW reviews (ROTJ I think); that is one of the things that sets SW apart, the movie is just so full of all kinds of details, side situations, dramas, and character interactions. A little different than what the TS is talking about, but along the same lines. This is true of the OT or the PT, and is one of Lucas's great talents.

22. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Aptly named minor characters:

OT- Jek Porkins
    PT- Elan Sleazebaggano
    ST - Lenz Flair

23. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Ha ha ha! It took me a second to figure it out.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Nope. It pans up in Episode II. ;)

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    After the opening crawl I want the camera to pan all over the place and have someone off camera shouting "Oh good God! Frank the camera man is getting chased by the bear again!"

Bad_Feeling and DarthBreezy like this.