main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The X-Wing novels. How good are the last ones?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMasterKeno, Jan 25, 2013.

1. JediMasterKeno

JediMasterKeno Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 22, 2000
    I've only read the first 4 of the X-Wing novels years ago. They were alright. Almost like reading sci fi versin of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six or something.

What are the last 2-3 X-Wing novels that include Isard's Revenge or whatever. Were the last couple any good?

2. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Yes, they are all good, very very very good.
    Here are the names past #4
    #5 Wraith Squadren
    #6 Iron Fist
    #7 Solo Command
    #8 Isard's Revenge
    #9 Starfighters of Adumar
    #10? Mercy Kill (set after FotJ, relativly new book..)
    IMO they are all great and are all worth picking up and reading.

3. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Yes, they are all very good; some would ever say they're better. Slightly different tone though- whereas the first 4 are more serious, Allston adds a more humorous touch (while keeping most of the serious). Starfighters of Adumar is one of the best books ever written.

4. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Yes. Starfighters of Adumar is the greatest EU book ever written.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, you should read them.

And then read them again.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    They are frigging awesome.

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Yep they are great. I actually bought Iron Fist 3 times because two copies have been destroyed be rereading.:)

8. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    The Wraith Squad trilogy (Wraith Squadron, Iron Fist and Solo Command) are extremely good. Isard's Revenge is alright, probably the weakest in the series though. Starfighters of Adumar is hilarious, it's greatness is largely anchored in one's enjoyment of Allston's humor since the actual storyline is fairly thin (now I'm with those above in greatly enjoying Allston's humor so...yeah).

Mercy Kill is good, but the storyline is again somewhat thin, and the 'X-wing' part of the title something of a misnomer, since hardly any time is actually spent in starfighters.

9. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    All the X-Wing series are fantastic, IMO. I second what Jello said.

10. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    Starfighters of Adumar have some of my favorite scenes and dialogue to date. You're really shooting yourself in the foot if you don't read the entire X-wing series.

ma_petite likes this.
  11. aeods

aeods Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 3, 2004
    Yeah X-Wing is my favourite Star Wars series, very very well written, Stackpole and Allston both adding different elements to it. Allston in particular is very well written, but Stackpole has some gripping plots.

12. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    Allston is one of my favorite SW writers. He makes me laugh everytime I read one of his novels....

13. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    If Michael A. Stackpole did do an X-wing novel with the Rogues, they should have a completely new list of new characters trying to live up to the legacy of Luke Skywalker and Wedge Antilles, led by Syal Antilles.

Zorrixor likes this.
  14. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Probably my favorite SW novel series as well. Actually just started rereading the series after reading Mercy Kill and realizing how much I missed the x-wing novels.

15. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Only read Mercy Kill so far, but own 7 of the nine earlier ones and hopefully shall read them someday. Mercy kill was really good, though the ending kind of fell apart a bit. The build up was good, the ending was just off a little.

16. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    Read them now. I'll wait.

17. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    I plan to eventually, I really do. Mercy Kill got me really intrigued in the characters. Right now, though, I am hoping to finish Rogue Planet soon, and then I was planning to move on to Outbound Flight.

18. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    Mercy Kill was really different from the rest of the series. Just a heads up.

19. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I thought Iron Fist and Adumar were terrible. That said I enjoyed Wraith Squadron and Solo Command, as well as Isard's Revenge. Haven't checked out Mercy Kill yet.

20. aeods

aeods Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 3, 2004
    That's cool. Not everyone has a good taste in books.

Riven_JTAC and cdgodin like this.
  21. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    I haven't got my hands on Mercy Kill yet. I just recently got Starfighters of Adumar and the entire Black Fleet Crisis trilogy plus Clone Wars Seasons 3 and 4 and I need to get thru those first. Not to mention Apocalypse and most of the post-ROTJ.

22. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Allow me to add my voice to the "Starfighters of Adumar is an awesome-sauce sandwich topped with bacon" chorus. It's Allston in peak form, and also contains perhaps the best deconstruction of the Holy Noble Warrior trope that I have ever encountered.

23. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    And lots of fun references relating to stuff like how to spell Hobbie's name, the four X-wing pilots dressing as women and noble battles with a Mon Cal Star Cruiser involved (from what I've read on Wookieepedia anyway)

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Isard's Revenge is okay, but the weakest of the series. All the other ones are some of the very best Star Wars books of all time.

ma_petite and DarthRelaxus like this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I remember disliking Krytos Trap the most when I was younger, but I've not reread it in the last... decade, at the very least. Kind of sad actually. I've re-read RS a lot (most of the time, again, when I was young but I started a recent reread a while back), and re-reading the Wraith books (esp. Adumar) used to be a frequent thing.

I'll have to see how Krytos Trap stands up when I'm interested in more than just the battles (and actually, am now quite bored by the battles).