main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Opinions on the "Far Out EU"?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darthbarracuda, Jan 21, 2013.

1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    I call it the "Far Out EU". The stuff that doesn't really have anything to do with the 6 movies of the saga. I'm talking about like the Rakata, or Darth Krayt's Empire.

What's your opinion on this EU? Interesting or dumb? Important or just another random thing someone created?

Discuss!

2. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Like, far out, man...
    [​IMG]

TrakNar and darthbarracuda like this.
  3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Interesting

BoromirsFan and darthbarracuda like this.
  4. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    That just made my day. :D Thank you

5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Rakata, interesting. Darth Krayt's Empire...dumb.

Of course, YMMV.

6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I really like the Darth Bane trilogy. I've also been enjoying "Dawn of the Jedi." So far all of the post-ROTJ EU doesn't sound like I'd enjoy it, at all, so I keep away from that.

7. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    THE POWER OF WARU COMPELS YOU.

Yeah, the great Church of Waru has no equals.

TrakNar and Zorrixor like this.
  8. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Darth Krayt's Empire is awesome. I think it's the best EU depiction of a Sith society. A lot of the young Jedi knight novels I could have done without, but NJO, DNT, LOTF and Legacy are all great works in my opinion.

9. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    I've not read anything beyond Survivor's Quest. I have no interest in the Yuzzah Vong or anything after it. I think the EU as a whole jumped the shark with Vector Prime.

LordDlow likes this.
  10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Moving to Lit. Saga is for discussion of just that-the six (now nine) films and interconnecting themes between them. The EU, not so much.

11. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I've come to greatly prefer EU works that fall under this "far out" category, if we are going to use that phrase. Slavish adherence to the themes, setting, lines, and motifs of the films is positively boring, and kind of defeats the point of an EU. That's part of why I adore the NJO- while it utilized the characters from the films, it told its own story that stood on its own, utilized its own themes, and attempted to actually do something new and great with the Star Wars universe, rather than the umpteenth "superweapons, kidnapping and Empires, oh my!" plot. It's an "Expanded" Universe, not a "worship the movies with every drop of ink" universe.

12. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Like with everything there are good points (Rakata, Great Sith War, Vergere, etc.) and bad points (Abeloth, The Ones, Waru, etc.) For the most part I enjoy the "Far Out EU", and there are some novels with concepts that i'd rather read about instead of watching the movies. The movies at the end of the day are always limited in scope. They can only tell and show so much. A novel however doesn't have that problem. As long as the writer explains their concepts well enough anyways.

13. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    This is the best endorsement of the NJO series. I read every essentially every Bantam book from the time HTE came out, and by the end I was worn out by the abovementioned flaws of most of those novels. At this point I only hold onto a handful of EU novels. By the time Vector Prime came out, I was spent, but lately I've been thinking of going back and giving the Del Rey books a try. This endorsement helps. :)

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    The Katarn raise its Kyle to your Waru.

15. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I raise with the Creator of All, Lord Daiman. He's a new guy but he has potential.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I tend to find it's where the best EU product is now located:

Legacy
    Knight Errant
    Dawn of the Jedi
    Lost Tribe of the Sith
    KOTOR

If you're after something different and often daring yet still SW this is the place to go.

17. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    By and large, it's pretty awesome

18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I vastly prefer over stuff tied too much into the movies.

19. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    Im a huge fan of the "far out EU" for many reasons, some of which are listed above. DarthJenari said it best. The movies can only go so far to show you something, where as the novels can describe much more than can be shown. I actually prefer to read my stories rather than watch them, altho I wont complain if I am watching them.

20. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Legacy is in Danger.

But Kotor, Dawn of the Jedi and the like are perfectly fine.

21. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Presumably 'Far Out' referss to EU material located at points in the timeline sufficently distant from the films to completely avoid any direct references whatsoever.

Inherently such works have a greater degree of narrative freedom, and character freedom as well, than the more obviously derivative works bracketed around the films themselves. This has a number of advantages and has resulted in some very good stories.

I do, however, think that medium matters in this regard. A huge part of the Star Wars appeal is the iconic visuals. Video games and comics have had considerable success transfering the same sort of visual inspiration to new eras, creating awesome new designs and sequences that still have fabulous Star Wars feel. The novels...not so much. Star Wars novels are generally written in a fast-paced style with relatively low descriptive content and have trouble hitting the visual high notes in a way that compares to the films. The tend to do better when they can borrow designs (of spacecraft, of aliens, even of planets) from the films (or perhaps from other visual media such as TCW) to let the reader reference what they are trying to say. Of course, so far only a handful of novels, at least, truly exist outside the temporal arc fo the films - the Darth Bane books and a few Old Republic novels mostly. So not a tremendous amount of exposure.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  22. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    How is Legacy in danger?

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Sequel Trilogy.

Legacy, unfortunately, is the EU most at risk.

Let's just hope a descendant of Luke Skywalker exists/survives, the Imperial Remnants survives, Jag and Jaina exist and are married, and nothing completely chaotic happens like blowing up Coruscant.

24. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    I like energy shields and vibro blades ect so the KOTOR era appeals to me. But, the Far Out EU likes trying to 1 up the Movie content and can create overpowered abominations at times which can become annoying.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  25. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    To be fair-the can always just stretch the timeline after the sequels if stuff like that happens. Jag and Jaina? Born after. Imperial remnant? Rebuilt during a period of weakness, or is more like the CIS-created by the Sith, but Roan surprises them and isn't their patsy.