main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Your Favorite Prequel Movie and Why.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by El_Machete12, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Darth Ruian

Darth Ruian Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2013
    ROTS. It's when Anakin becomes a Sith (obviously the best clan in the galaxy :p)

2. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Episode I.

First of all, it is pure nostalgia for me, I was turning 11 when I first saw it, I had the novelization, the sticker book, toys and the soundtrack on casette. My friends loved it too.

Secondly, I think it is a carefree adventure that explored previously unseen aspects of the Galaxy and new parts of Tatooine too. I never thought much about Jar-Jar, to be honest. I didn't love him, but also didn't hate him.

Thirdly, the soundtrack is brilliant, the best after that of Episode V.

After the harsh response from fans, Lucas caved in and I can still see the constraints he introduced in Episode II, a film which I don't consider as good. I think it is on the same level as Episode VI.

Episode III was really good, very atmospheric and I absolutely love it, but still: Episode I is my king of the prequels.

3. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    I'm going to have the go with episode 1. Mainly because it was the first star wars movie I have ever seen, and Darth Maul is my favorite sith even surpassing Vadar and Dooku. Also as same Vespasian said, the soundtrack is amazing! To me, nothing beats duel of the fates. It's really what makes the final fight for me.

4. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    I have the nostalgia factor with Episode 1. I was 12 when the film came out and it was probably the most exciting thing to happen in my childhood. I have so many of the figures, posters, cereal boxes, etc. It was my favorite film when it came out, but the more I watch it as I age, it doesn't hold up as well as the other films. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it as an integral part of the Star Wars saga, but it doesn't have that same excitement for me as the other five films.

I think a lot of it is that I really connected with the characters of Anakin and Obi Wan in AoTC, ROTS, and TCW, yet in TPM the main character is Qui Gon. He's cool and all, but why should I care about him so much?

5. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm not a big fan of Phantom Menace, so that can't be it. Aside from the character of Qui-Gon & the final battle with Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, & Darth Maul, it leaves a lot to be desired, but I still enjoy the film for what it is.

Attack of The Clones has a special place in my heart because I had the opportunity to see it in Times Square during opening week, in what was the most rabid moviegoing experience I've ever had. The atmosphere was electric from the 20th Century Fanfare to the end credits. Just a marvelous memory of mine to how much cheering & excitement was going on.

Revenge of The Sith is easily my favorite of the 3. Why? Anakin's turn was great. The manipulation of Anakin by Palpatine was wonderful, McDiarmid really had an excellent performance. Obi-Wan was AWESOME in the film, and was much more like Alec Guinness than ever before. The last 20 minutes of the film was just spectacular as well. The Obi-Wan/Anakin dialogue before their battle was intense, and the "I HATE YOU" "I LOVED YOU, YOU WERE MY BROTHER ANAKIN" was just tearjerking epicness for me. I've watched ROTS atleast 100 times.

6. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Revenge of the Sith for me. But I love all 3 of the regardless.

7. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    A valid argument... I don't know, I always liked the character of Qui-Gon.

Which may prove that you are right. Some people like Qui-Gon, others don't, other people don't care about him. So he is a little divisive.

Now, everybody loves Han Solo! Or, to take the prequels, I've heard very few complaints about Obi-Wan from Episodes II and III.

Actually, for me, Episode II is the film that doesn't hold up. Perhaps because I don't think Anakin was able to carry that movie, yet he was supposed to be. He was much stronger in Episode III and he is basically my favorite character from The Clone Wars, so those two other Anakins didn't help me appreciate the AotC Anakin.

8. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I'd say Revenge Of The Sith because it's the best of the three in the way of there being some attempt of a character arc. The biggest problem with the first two in that particular trilogy is that there are so many settings with endless events happing around them, upon first viewing it's mind boggling to see how they all come full circle in the climaxes of the first two films. Revenge on the other hand, although there was definitely room for improvement, developed the relationship between Anakin and Palpatine so we got a sense of what helped to seduce him to the dark side of the force. This is what they should have spent two films doing instead of the dozen scenes or so of screen time between the pair in ROTS.

9. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    It's a difficult choice. Each of the films have bits I really love and bits that I'm not very keen on (and this is true for all six, by the way). So I guess it's a case of adding up the good bits and subtracting the 'not-so-good' bits to work out which one I like best!

It's probably ROTS. Although I'm uncomfortable with the way Anakin falls to the Dark side and I find the whole Order 66 scene almost too sad to watch :rolleyes: it's still a real humdinger of a movie. The whole 'rescuing the Chancellor' bit is brilliant - cool piloting, fun banter, bada$$ fighting, and you actually get a sense that Obi-Wan and Anakin are good friends. I also love Obi-Wan v. Grievous but that's probably just the Obi fangirl in me! The Obi and Vader duel is a great scene, very emotional stuff.

10. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Revenge of The Sith for several reasons.

It ties the gap between the Prequel and Original Trilogy connecting the saga.

The opening space battle over Coruscant is one of my favourite moments of the trilogy and starts straight into the action like in A New Hope.

It reveals exacly how Anakin Skywalker turned to the Dark Side of the force.

The little moments that focuses on the Jedi like the scene in the Gunship and in the Temple War Room just before Anakin finds out Plapatine is the Sith Lord behind everything.

The Battle of Utapau with the Obi-Wan vs Grievous battle and the moment where the Clones rappel down.

The Battle of Kashyyk where all the Wookies rise up and roar.

The moments where Darth Vader marches on the Jedi Temple and kills the Seperatist leaders on Mustafar showing just how far Anakin is prepared to go to save Padme.

The Yoda vs Palpatine and Anakin vs Obi-Wan epic battles.

11. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I think in your case, I was just surprised by your extreme emotional reaction to the film. I don't remember calling you crazy though :p. From what I understand, you dislike ROTS because of everything bad that could happen does happen?

12. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    ROTS. Thrilling from start to finish for me, it's loaded with lightsaber fights, Anakin and Obi-Wan acting like friends and equals, a few seemingly artistic moments, tons of Wookiees, Order 66, an insane climax, Sidious melting himself into his all too familiar form, Yoda being awesome but still coming up short, Luke and Leia, the finish on Tatooine, and, of course, the birth of Darth Vader as we knew him. Aside from a certain infamous "no" and some questionable dialogue in romantic scenes, I love it.

13. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    TPM. My favorite Prequel, my favorite "Star Wars" movie, maybe my favorite movie period. Well, that or "Castle in the Sky".

Alexrd likes this.
  14. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    What happened to "Heaven's Gate"? :eek:

15. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    ...and I just wanted to add to this statement in favor of TPM. Some of the individual pieces of music in this soundtrack can arguably be labeled the best in the Star Wars universe. It almost seems like John William's composing skills were revitalized with the creation of this soundtrack.

Darkslayer likes this.
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I love TPM and AOTC too, but ROTS wins the "best prequel" title for me.

17. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    I was able to see it on the big screen this past fall at the New York Film Festival. Great experience, but afterwards I didn't have the same feeling that I got from seeing TPM or "Castle in the Sky" again on the big screen. I've seen TPM and CitS 4 times theatrically each, and I'd happily go to either of them another several times if they were showing anywhere near by. Would I see "Heaven's Gate" again on a big screen? Probably, but I don't feel the same hunger for it. Maybe that's colored by the likelihood of it screening again being less than the other two, but still.

18. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Interesting. As far as TPM -- or any of the prequels -- on the big screen go, I do recommend people go out and see them when they can (which makes this recent 3D postponement announcement all the more dispiriting). The reason being, aside from just going out and watching some of your favourite movies on the big screen again, you may have forgotten just how good a Star Wars movie plays in a darkened auditorium, with surround sound, on a huge screen. The dynamic is so different to watching at home; it's almost like seeing it for the first time again.

minnishe likes this.
  19. Master Elaine Nega

Master Elaine Nega Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2013
    My favourite several months ago used to be AOTC. I liked the fights and the Battle on Geonosis, I was also satisfied with the romance part( as a die - hard Anakin/ Padme shipper) . But now my favourite is TPM. And I don' t really know why. Maybe because I' ve gone trough a depression, and after I got over it something changed inside me. Or maybe because it was the first SW movie I' ve seen, which sparkled my love for SW.

20. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    ROTS, and by a pretty wide margin too.

Lee_ likes this.
  21. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    At a (BIG) push. Well, ROTS I suppose.

22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed, I can't say they are close. I think AOTC is a step up from TPM, and ROTS is 2 steps up from that.

23. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    This is how I feel about all three of the movies:

The Phantom Menace
    I feel like TPM was in a way the expedition of the three. It set the stage of what the Republic was, and it introduced the Sith, which obviously play a major role. It was very political at points and at some times, boring. However, I feel like TPM was a necessary movie and contains all the material needed to move into AOTC.

Attack of the Clones
    AOTC was really mind opening. We started to see more of what the outer-rim was and what importance it served. We began the journey of watching Anakin's downfall and how Obi Wan becomes a wise mentor. Many Jedi are shown in their combat habitat, which make them look more than just robed aliens that sit around in a circle and discuss problems. AOTC was the plot setter, which allowed us to see what was going on in the galaxy.

Revenge of the Sith
    ROTS tied it all together. It showed the connection between all six of the movies, and wrapped up the first two in the process. While this was the key to unlock the mystery of Star Wars, it was also the most emotionally involved movie. We begin to feel Anakin's pain as he sees that he might lose his wife, after losing his mother in AOTC. He begins to fall, and we see the more evil side of him. We see the plan of the Sith unfold (once we discovered what Sidious' plan was, of course) as ROTS comes to a close. We see master fight master, Mentor fight Student, and the victim become the villain. Revenge of the Sith made the audience feel Star Wars.

I love Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.

24. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    TPM without a doubt. ROTS is the better movie I completely agree, in fact it is likely the best SW movie ever made to date, with ESB coming a close second. However, TPM had a lot going for it (and a lot against it I agree):

-Jedi and Sith in their prime. For decades Lucas has gone on and on about the OT jedi and sith are just a bunch of old has been's waving their lightsabers around. So we finally get to see real Jedi and Sith in action when they were the bees knees. Unfortunately, Lucas kinda regressed/flip flopped and introduced another old sith in AOTC and ROTS, Tyrannus/Dooku. Somehow, this old sith was really powerful, even though the reason we were told the jedi and sith in the OT weren't as powerful was because they were old. So it kinda doesn't make sense, but oh well. :Lucas:

-A shiny galaxy. I love the run down feel of the OT universe, but this was a great change of pace. I love the Naboo Cruiser. The minute i saw it I wanted one of my own. :D

-Battle droids. I loved them. I wish we had seen more deadlier varieties however, like the Droidekas we glimpsed.

-The gungans. Jar Jar was crap, but the gungans as a whole were awesome. Tarpals was badass.

-The politics scenes and the senate. Pretty sweet, but could have been better thought out.

-Coruscant. :D We didn't need to see Tatooine at all though. Naboo was awesome too, what a beautiful planet.

-Acrobatic lightsaber duels. Force usage in duels. Lightsaber deflection. Force speed. Very cool. :thumbsup:

-Qui Gon Jinn, Darth Maul, and a clean shaven Obi Wan.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  25. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    ROTS. Because really you could have made that the only prequel movie and completely eliminated TPM and AOTC and it would have served its purpose.

Sitara likes this.