main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rumor North Kent quarry earmarked for Star Wars movie location

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DANNASUK, Jan 26, 2013.

1. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009

Uhh.... I don't get that impression at all. The whole premise of the OT's limited scope is that there's a whole universe happening offscreen. Maybe it's EU brain rot, but I always assumed that Vader enjoyed his solitude, enjoyed his conquests, and didn't want to live like a Jedi, in a sad little apartment on Coruscant. What's the point of being the second powerful guy in the universe if you can't get a little real estate?

TreborSabreon and DarthBoba like this.
  2. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    I think the Star Destroyer is the best idea. I don't think he had a place he identified as home. It just wouldn't fit with the self loathing he let fester due to him thinking he killed his family. I can see him confronting the lava thing to develop his connection to the dark side though.

Echo-07 likes this.
  3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Here is another source, from one of our biggest papers in the UK....reason for posting (again) is because Darth Maul is mentioned in reference to Episode VII (could be nothing)

The Sun

(Daily Mail mentions it, too)

Daily Mail

Due to my job in the real world, I have several contacts at local and national papers in the UK; I will personally keep everyone updated and, if filming is confirmed in Kent (where I live), I shall *try* to get pictures.

4. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Probably why Greedo ended up on the cutting room floor of TPM.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "Episode VII of the Star Wars series — which features evil Darth Maul — is due out in 2015."

Tricksy wording.

It sounds like it says Maul is in Episode 7. But if read differently it only says Maul is a character in the overall saga.

Or it could be just the usual lazy irresponsible journalism.

6. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    Location looks really dope!! Could be used for a lot of different scenes. Looks like something out of Naboo to me

7. Figrin D'aniel

Figrin D'aniel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2013
    Is there any news source referencing Anthony Daniels or the cast of Star Wars actually being there?

8. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    An actual physical location rather than a green soundstage????? This sounds promising.

TheBBP, Echo-07 and Graphic like this.
  9. Figrin D'aniel

Figrin D'aniel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2013
    I think this might of been what the OP was referring to when he said Anthony Daniels was spotted...

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentish_gazette/news/2013/january/24/star_wars_heroes_in_herne_bay.aspx

Though the article says nothing about Anthony Daniels. It talks about C-3PO and R2-D2 but gives no information to who is actually inside the costumes. It also says actors of the OT cast coming to Herne Bay for a Star Wars convention in June. Nowhere in the article does it mention anything about filming Star Wars Episode VII.

10. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    To me Vader seems like he is obsessed with destroying the Rebel Alliance and has no time to go "home" to his castle to brood over his bad decisions.

Graphic and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  11. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Well, now this seems alot more than a rumor although I highly doubt Darth Maul has anything to do with the new movies.

TreborSabreon and Graphic like this.
  12. I_Died_Once

I_Died_Once Jedi Master

Mar 14, 2005
    Just cause theres a castle doesn't mean it has to be VADER'S castle. It could be whatever new bad guy's there is fortress or something. Jump the gun, whydoncha.

Graphic likes this.
  13. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I doubt the castle would even be used. I think the location is desired for the environment.

14. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Oh, I don't think he spends a ton of time there during the years he was hunting Luke. I don't think he was sitting on a throne, with loyal Noghri warriors feeding him grapes. But I just like to imagine that there's more to being a Dark Lord of the Sith than just fancy armor and a cool prototype TIE.

But I wouldn't imagine any real life UK castle being used for Vader. That's just lazy from a design POV.

15. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Scouting? MAYBE

But....

Why would any cast be there?

Why would anyone be talking to the media?

Why would they be telling people Darth Maul is in it?

Isn't The Sun like The National Enquirer here in the US?

Come on folks. The only thing here that makes any sense is the possibility that they are looking at locations, but even if that were tha case, you wouldnt have people going around saying "Hi, we are interested in shooting the next Star Wars movie in your backyard because it looks like a good place for the next battle and Darth Maul is going to be featured and your can direct all you questions to Anthony Daniels so he can fill you in. Have you met Harrison Ford? He is coming back as Han Solo, along with Mark and Carrie. Say hello guys....." Even this element is done under wraps.

16. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I agree with you and said a similar thing. However, the scouting of the location -- even if not specifically stated as "the scene of a battle" -- could easily be described as a scene f the next battle in a movie about Star Wars, if that makes sense. It's just a generalization.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I also live near to the location mentioned in the article, if filming is done there I will be sure to try and get pictures.

Echo-07 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  18. Llew

Llew Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I also thought The Sun and The Daily Mail were tabloids, so I'm a bit skeptical on either of those articles. The Kent location looks really nice, though. I genuinely hope there's a lot more on location shooting than the PT had.

SithLordDarthRichie and Echo-07 like this.
  19. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I completely agree -- more locations and practical effects and less CGI please. That is one thing I really liked about the Trek reboot.

run_luke_run likes this.
  20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Why can't they film in Nashville, TN? I mean we have quarries here! They could even incorporate some kind of GFFA country music number in some nightclub scene or something! :mad:

DarthBoba likes this.
  21. DarthSpaced

DarthSpaced Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2012
    Some of you guys are unbelievable with your shameless clinging that every single shot that makes up the prequel films is all CGI. Naboo, Tatooine were filmed on locale and countless "interiors" and other planets, like Utapau, Mustafar, and Geonosis, were BUILT by your precious model makers!

22. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Bast Castle would be cool to see, dealing with the acid rain of Vjun would be interesting also.

There are many possibilities with such a location.

TreborSabreon and Echo-07 like this.
  23. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    The only reason they mention Maul in the paper is because it sounds like Mall in an American accent. It fits with the Bluewater angle. Never one to pass up a pun, The Sun.

24. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Even the wookie home world was shot on location.

25. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    There was a 20 year gap between ROTS and ANH. I don't like the idea that Vader spent all of that time staring blankly out the Star Destroyer bridge windows with Tarkin at his side for 20 long years waiting for the Rebellion to get it's act together. :p
    Besides, looking at that pic of the castle on the beach gives me the idea of Luke/Leia finding out more about their father in the ST that wasn't revealed in the PT or the OT. Could be interesting, no?

TreborSabreon, Graphic and Echo-07 like this.