main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books New Novel! Maul: Lockdown by Joe Schreiber

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    They should derive influences from the Oz tv series.

So there should be all types of gangs in the prison. Maul ofcourse sets them against each other, and then in the end slaughters them all.

TrakNar likes this.
  2. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    In all seriousness, when did Schreiber become a "pretty good author"?

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    since this is a prison and the scum of the galaxy in it.... what can we expect of this novel aside drug dealers, murderers and so on... psychopaths like Hannibal Lecter? rapists? perverts? what individuals might they feature aside the obvious murderers and who of the EU fits a cameo? Does Dr. Evazan count and is he old enough for that already? I love my Evazan. How about some others we know from the EU? Someone in prison who is not guilty but ended up there anyway? Will the prison feature many aliens or mostly humans? How about females? males and females separated in gffa prisons? Who might be a guardsman cameo? Might it be a Coruscant prison akin to Arkham Asylum? Or Corellian Corsec prison and we see some Horns?

obvious steps in the story will be Maul being imprisoned and hiding his talents as well as being bullied. next step then is him noticing escape plans, conspiracies and such and coordinating a prison takeover by the prisoners. But what might be his mission? free someone the Sith need? kill someone who is in the prison and shall be silenced? Or rather no true mission beyond this being a test for maul himself, which he does not know thinking the mission is important.

given the limited location inside the prison and the title lockdown.. something happens that starts a lockdown. prison break most likely though if not zombies or other again, this will have more than just sith and criminal brutality to count as horror. there needs to be more, a twist. To make it even darker.. have it not be a Republic prison but a Hutt prison where criminals put those who are even too bad for the Hutts tastes.

how might it tie into the latest Maul sources and change or reinforce his character as of TPM onwards? we had a prison ship with zombies in Death Troopers already. so another prison tale needs to be different.

I demand
    ANZATI as shadowy killer vampires
    DEFEL shadows
    Dr. Evazan
    Jenna Zan Arbor experimenting on prisoners
    a mad Mon Calamari as Hannibal Lecter
    Wroonian Twoface
    a corellian as Joker
    an imprisoned Dark Jedi
    a Falleen black sun Vigo running his organisation from prison and bribed guards, since there it is safest for him
    a Life Witch in prison
    a Dathomiri Nightsister who is in prison too

can't wait for more Schreiber, he is awesome!

TrakNar likes this.
  4. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Sounds interesting to say the least. Hope it's as good as Shadow Hunter.

5. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It sounds cool and I love the cover. I'm a Darth Maul fan, so I hope this book delivers. But does it HAVE to be a hardcover? :(

6. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    That is my issue, being in hardcover. The release of regular paperbacks keep getting cut down. A couple years ago, we got Riptide, Knight Errant, and Shadow Games all in the same year. Last year we got Scourge, and the LTotS trade. This year, we have The Last Jedi, and Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void was changed from paperback to hardcover. If we keep at this rate, next year we won't have any paperbacks.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    They want our money!

Team Padme likes this.
  8. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    So just take a year off and get them all in paperback... I buy them digital so it is only slightly more than a paperback. like 13-16 dollars. Once they hit paperback, the digital drops to 8 dollars.

9. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Just have to say the cover looks pure and utter bantha crap.

How much of a hack do you have to be to make a cover featuring Maul's mug and make it suck?

Seriously, I hope they at least replace it with a TPM still with hooded Maul...or better yet, pay someone on Devaint Art to use his/her piece (some really good pieces there that people made for fun and/or to advertise their talents)

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  10. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    TWC... Never heard of theat one... lol [face_laugh]

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ha ha lol. Oops. TCW not TWC. I would have to say that it was a long day thursday since I posted that thursday night

12. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    If it's a HC, I want more pages.
    Crucible has only 256 pages according to Amazon.com.
    If I'm going to fork over 10 or even 20 more wapiupi, I need more value!

Force Smuggler and Kyris Cavisek like this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Hardcovers need to be special! 400 pages plus!

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Eh, if he's a cheesy, one-liner action hero, yeah, he doesn't work for that. But I would expect something more in the vein of a strong-and-silent, highly-trained killer on a mission, locked up with an infinite supply of trouble, coldly and analytically badassing his way through all that trouble with a combination of expert planning and super combat skills. The pulpiness would come from the constant action, over-the-top situations, and crazy villains, not the protagonist mugging for the camera.

15. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    This got me thinking that how this book could tie into Darth Plageuis, Death Troopers, and Red Harvest all at the same time! The black orchid from Red Harvest is somehow transported here in a scheme by a prisoner to escape, starts causing zombies, Maul contains the outbreak, and then Palpatine finally is aware of the virus! It all makes perfect sense!

16. Allana_Rey

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm fine with 300+ pages.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    300+ is fine but we do need to limit the number of Hardbacks. The LOTF model worked best and not all nine books like in FOTJ.

18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    It all depends on how well FOTJ sold. If all of the books did as well as the LOTF books, I wouldn't expect the hardcover format to go away anytime soon. It's not like they're going to throw money away.

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Well worked best for me. I was able to get all 9 LOTF books on time but had to wait for all 9 FOTJ books. All 9 books don't need to be HB.

20. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Is this the first novel that has had its inception since the Disney acquisition? Is this a sign that the EU will continue, with the transition to Disney being seamless?

21. Allana_Rey

Sep 2, 2012
    When Sword Of The Jedi comes out it has to be in PB.

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
  23. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm hoping. Oh, I'm hoping.

24. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I imagine they both sold equally badly, yes. :p

25. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    if it sells well it must be a bad book cause everybody wants to check out how big the damage is! if it sells mediocre.. it must be great cause everyone wants it but only few afford Hardcover prices and the rest waits for paperback version. if it sells very bad, it must be the best EU book ever due to so many references and EU knowledge needed that only diehard EU fans would buy it and movie purists wouldn't!!!

:p