main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I enjoyed the Vizsla vs Maul battle in today's episode, but not much else :p

Sundari is like a massive KKK meeting.

JackG, CT-867-5309 and Esg like this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Aaaaand exit Jon Favreau.

Mazzic likes this.
  3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, I was wondering what Mandalorian fans thought of today's episode. And paging CooperTFN, cause the continued lack of diversity on Mandalore is comical. In a sad sort of way.

On a side note, I really hate the Duchess Satine. Cause apparently she is such a pacifist that she will not even defend her people during an invasion or attempt to fight back. Which is ridiculous. What sort of message is that?

Lastly, the standard Mandalorian guards unicorn really reminds me of the Eternian soldiers from Masters of the Universe (the movie, not the cartoon). Like the one worn by Man-At-Arms.

--Adm. Nick

4. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    The fight in today's episode is one of my favorite bits from the whole series. Just awesome.

Slater, Plaristes, Ghost and 10 others like this.
  5. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    indeed! the fight was awesome awesome awesome. but i think that the one that we will see in the final episode of this arc will be even better!

edit: oh a i cannot stress enough my love for Sam Witwer's Maul! He's just a sneaky, sneaky badass.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They did the same thing with the Lurmen. It's dumb.

Esg likes this.
  7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I wish the Mandolorian guards had been slightly more competent. Still, overall I enjoyed it.

I thought this Maul stuff was going to be the season finale though. Surely, even if the other episodes end up being higher quality, they could possibly be more gonzo and a better spot for a cliff hanger.

Especially since what is coming up is jealous Anakin and Ashoka doing something with Coursicant's crime ring.

Though there does seem to be some kind of air battle over Cato Nemodia that looks promising. Of course, most space and air battles in this show look promising but are way too short.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Mandoamish?

9. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Fun fact...

Am I the only one thinking Maul didn't use the force in the duel against Vizsla because it was against Mando duel traditions to do so, as previously established in KOTOR II? He used his force powers to enter the room and disable the guard, but he never once used it in the duel itself, cementing his strength even as a non-force user and therefor semi-justifying his attempt to become the "Mauldalore".

And of course, only a fraction of the followers actually accept the existence of a "Mauldalore" at all, as should be the case.

Next week's episode will definitely be interesting.

10. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    So quick question. Is this the end of the Maul arc of the season? I ask because I'm going to catch up with the season over the next two weeks or so, and am wondering if I should wait for the conclusion of that arc.

11. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Next week's episodde is the end of the Maul arc.

12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Plus, like he said to Vizsla earlier, it is important to "put on a good show".

13. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Maul may have underestimated Vizsla more than anything else. Those circular blades that carved lines in Maul's cheek clearly were not a part of the Sith Lord's plan.

And Mandalorians have been known to kill Force users before. My personal thought is that Maul didn't really take it easy, or choose to not use the force. More he just didn't have the proper oppurtunity because of Vizsla's speed and skill.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  14. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Hallelujah.

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Having not seen the episode, this is what I guess as well. The Force is powerful, and similar to magic in a lot of ways, but it's not like most Force users can just shoot a fireball and burn their opponent to a crisp. It requires intense concentration, and if an opponent is quick enough, it's largely countered. And of course while the average Force user could mop the floor with the average non-Force user, the extremely skilled individuals from the latter group can compete with the former.

Of course, the Force is pretty damn inconsistent throughout SW. Sometimes it's unstoppable, sometimes not so much. For my part, I much prefer it when the Force is portrayed as something that's not completely unstoppable.

16. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Your glad we're stuck with maul, randy and co?

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    *spoiler for presumably future episodes*

Randy doesn't have long for this world anyway. [/url]

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Mandalore being neutral and isolationist for hundreds of years, particularly the pacifist faction, would easily explain why they all look so alike.

19. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    There's also a line in Shadow Games that implies that humans mass-immigrated to Mandalore sometime in the past, which would suggest that at some point a large population of settlers would have ruled most of the planet. That actually jives okay with the previously established nomadism that enables the more crazy guys we see later who seem to look down on the idea of having deep roots but are nonetheless attached to the planet; they're from a hybrid culture that resembles the Swiss (mercenaries in the wars of others) and Prussia (highly industrial and logistical powerhouse.)

And I keep hoping someone rights a book establishing how these patently different factions we're seeing interacted and feuded with one another. The Mando'ade featured in Traviss's work seem like the exact definition of chaotic neutral nomads, Pre's Death Watch is regimented and disciplined beyond the normal and has an honor code that seems to be a mockery of the usual one, Fenn becomes a pro-bono hero with friends in the Alliance who liberates his enslaved people, and we've got Black Sun, the Zann Consortium, and the Empire all exploiting the planet and clans during the Galactic Civil War. Add in the different languages being spoken in TCW and in th ebooks, and I could see a definite class structure with warrior elite in the system selling out their countrymen to crime lords and imperial agents at the top, nomadic mercenaried doing their thing across the galaxy, and the oppressed masses with Fenn "Mandalore the Liberator" Shysa as their hero.

That would be infinietly more fun then the previous Mando'ade and TCW nationalists.

20. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Actually, I think the situation on Mandalore will continue for the next two weeks. I'll play safe and mention no spoilers, but if you saw the preview clips for this season, you should know what's coming up.

21. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    And so the Mandalorians continue their proud tradition of being Sith puppets. :p

This show has really been portraying pacifism oddly, but that's no surprise after five seasons. Its not an easy philosophy to portray or follow, but here the main proponents are idiots or useless or both. Ugh, while its a canon reference, any references to the CORRUPTION on Mandalore plot brings back bad memories, not to mention Satine just helpfully telling them who her last surviving political rival was.

It was a cool fight, and Vizsla didn't die screaming no in a pathetic manner. Not sure if Maul refrained from using the Force overtly or it was a challenge for him. The Sith get to do cool stuff like shatter their cell's door with sheer power, whereas a Jedi is usually helpless without their lightsaber. Not to mention they get to march up to the throne room with the only warning coming from the door guard but that's no surprise.

There episodes have been an improvement, but that's not saying much considering the previous arc.

22. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    I could be wrong, but I thought that the book, Shadow Conspiracy, confirmed it was a four episode arc. The season premiere, Revival, then last week's Eminence, yesterday's Shades of Reason, and next week's The Lawless is the finale of this season's Maul arc.

23. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
  24. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    More like I am not a fan of Jon Favreau.

25. Something_Exile

Something_Exile Jedi Master

Nov 23, 2012
    Don't know how they plan to wrap this up in a single 20 minute episode. We need to see Obi-Wan get involved, some sort of resolution to Death Watch, and Sids do his thing. This could be either a genuinely entertaining episode, or an absolute disaster. 20 minutes doesn't seem long enough. Suddenly I dislike Revival even more now, wasted a lot of time that would have been better spent on concluding the story, considering that in that episode, everyone (except poor Adi) ends up exactly where they were before.